Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

New to the forum - Help with Knight

Sir_Oscar

New to the forum - Help with Knight  Empty New to the forum - Help with Knight

Post by Sir_Oscar Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 am

Hi, I just signed up to the forum.

I've just this week finished Dark Souls for the first time and played through as a Knight.

I've just started on the NG+ with the same character but was hoping for some hints and tips of how best to continue to build my character.

I'm about level 95.

Vitality is 35

Strength is 52

Endurance is 25

Dexterity is 25

And all other stats are basically what they were from the classes default.

My play style is basically to tank enemies, get up close block with a shield if needed then counter.

I've mostly been using a black knight sword +5

I don't know what, if anything I can do now to continue to improve my character so am hoping you guys can help as I still know very little about the game despite having played through it.

Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

New to the forum - Help with Knight  Empty Re: New to the forum - Help with Knight

Post by Hue Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 am

Sir_Oscar wrote:Hi, I just signed up to the forum.

I've just this week finished Dark Souls for the first time and played through as a Knight.

I've just started on the NG+ with the same character but was hoping for some hints and tips of how best to continue to build my character.

I'm about level 95.

Vitality is 35

Strength is 52

Endurance is 25

Dexterity is 25

My play style is basically to tank enemies, get up close block with a shield if needed then counter.

I don't know what, if anything I can do now to continue to improve my character so am hoping you guys can help as I still know very little about the game despite having played through it.

Stop leveling str, if you're not aiming for a specific SL, go for faith and int and use GSoA
    Sir_Oscar

New to the forum - Help with Knight  Empty Re: New to the forum - Help with Knight

Post by Sir_Oscar Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:08 am

Hachouma wrote:
    Sir_Oscar wrote:Hi, I just signed up to the forum.

I'm about level 95.

Vitality is 35

Strength is 52

Endurance is 25

Dexterity is 25

Stop leveling str, if you're not aiming for a specific SL, go for faith and int and use GSoA

Gonna lay my cards on the table here, I'm in essence a Dark Souls n00b.

Why shouldn't I level strength any more?

What benefit will faith and intelligence be to me?

And finally, what the fudge does "GSoA" stand for?

Thanks.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:09 am

Alright, you have a lot more strength than is generally needed. What you'll want to do is nab a Demon Weapon, like a Demon Great Hammer, a Demon Greataxe, or the Demon Great Machete. They all scale really well with Strength. You'll want to upgrade them up the normal path to keep the str scaling, reaching around +14 or +15 if you really like the weapon and want to spend a slab. The Black Knight weapons are decent but will be outdone by the scaling with the Demon Weapons.

Just a heads up, stats generally don't give you much for each point past 40-50. The highest strength requirement item in the game is Smough's hammer at 58, so no matter what you'll want to work on other stats if you reach 58.

So you can swing more and wear heavier armor, I'd suggest upping your endurance. It'll let you hit more often and block more. At 40 you no longer get anymore stamina but you'll still get equip burden limits increased letting you equip more on your character.

Dexterity is sort of a stat you don't need with your build so I wouldn't level that any further.

Vitality is another important thing for you to level up since you'll just keep getting more and more health. With NG+ and further you'll just be getting hit harder and harder so more health is always wanted. It'll be nice even for dealing with what little damage may come through your shield.

So my suggestion is working on leveling up Vitality and Endurance while also grabbing a Demon weapon.

What sort of shield and armor are you wearing?
    Sir_Oscar

Post by Sir_Oscar Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 am

Tolvo wrote:Alright, you have a lot more strength than is generally needed. What you'll want to do is nab a Demon Weapon, like a Demon Great Hammer, a Demon Greataxe, or the Demon Great Machete. They all scale really well with Strength. You'll want to upgrade them up the normal path to keep the str scaling, reaching around +14 or +15 if you really like the weapon and want to spend a slab. The Black Knight weapons are decent but will be outdone by the scaling with the Demon Weapons.

Just a heads up, stats generally don't give you much for each point past 40-50. The highest strength requirement item in the game is Smough's hammer at 58, so no matter what you'll want to work on other stats if you reach 58.

So you can swing more and wear heavier armor, I'd suggest upping your endurance. It'll let you hit more often and block more. At 40 you no longer get anymore stamina but you'll still get equip burden limits increased letting you equip more on your character.

Dexterity is sort of a stat you don't need with your build so I wouldn't level that any further.

Vitality is another important thing for you to level up since you'll just keep getting more and more health. With NG+ and further you'll just be getting hit harder and harder so more health is always wanted. It'll be nice even for dealing with what little damage may come through your shield.

So my suggestion is working on leveling up Vitality and Endurance while also grabbing a Demon weapon.

What sort of shield and armor are you wearing?

I have a couple of unlevelled demon weapons that I haven't used due to the Dark Knight Sword doing the trick through the initial play through.

Would you recommend any of the demon weapons in particular?

I've been using Havel's amour mostly recently because it had high stats and I wasn't really sure what else to do with regards to leveling up any other amour seeing as twinkling trianite was 8k souls each.

I've got a tower kite shield +10 again, it seemed to do the trick and I didn't really know what else to use.

Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am

Raising Strength any more will not raise the damage you do with your weapon much. Most stats hit deminishing returns around 40-50, so raising them further isn't worth the Souls at all.

As Tolvo said, you should raise your Vitality and Endurance. It will complement your current playstyle a lot and enemies on NG+ are a lot tougher, so you'll need more HP anyway.

Black Knight weapons are enough to go by, no need to focus on min/maxing, however you should get a decent shield. With your stats Havel's Greatshield and Greatshield of Artorias would be the best, but they're very heavy, so depending on your armor, you might end up fat rolling and have slow movement. It's not really a problem, but it takes time to get used to it.

It might be a good idea to invest into some long range weapons, preferably Crossbows, since they don't require Dexterity.

Alternatively, you can raise your Intelligence and/or Faith and lear some ranged spells.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 am

The Balder Shield has very high stability while being easy enough to access and upgrade.

Also +10 is not the max for your shield, in New Londo is an Ember that will let you upgrade to +11-15.

The Silver Knight Shield which drops from Silver Knights has excellent stability while still allowing you to parry, it requires Twinkling to upgrade.. Greatshields are great though for PvE and boss fights. The Greatshield of Artorias has the highest stability possible, but it requires the Soul of Sif to create and Demon titanite to upgrade.

The Black Iron Greatshield of Tarkus blocks 90% of fire damage with great Stability.

The Stone Knight Greatshield blocks lightning, Magic, and fire pretty well. Upgrading it doesn't increase stability.

Havel's shield while having less stability than Artorias' blocks 90% of magic and I believe 70-80 of Fire and and Lightning. It only requires Twinkling titanite to upgrade.

Every Demon weapon is great, the Demon Great Machete doesn't have as much damage as the others but you can stunlock with it and it sweeps to hit groups. The Demon Axe and Demon Hammer are both very similar in use aside from animations and they have higher damage values than the machete.

As for Armor, the Black Iron set, and Giant's Set are absolutely amazing. Black Iron has the highest fire defense values while the Giant's basically works for everything else. Both require Twinkling titanite but will really help you out.
    Sir_Oscar

Post by Sir_Oscar Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am

thanks for the comments people.

So it's sounding like I'm going to need a fair bit of twinkling trianite to level up my amour and a great shield.

What would you recommend for grinding out the souls required to buy these off the Blacksmith in Anor Londo?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am

Co-Op is a great option, Ornstein and Smough usually have a good deal of activity at NG+ and high levels.

The Painted World also has the Phalanx which can be farmed. Killing Skeleton dogs in Tomb of the Giants, or the Forest Hunter NPC's are also other good options.

Also if you want a comparison for damage and shield block/stability check out this link.

http://mmdks.com/16n9

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am