Wierd Fighting Habits

Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Wierd Fighting Habits

Post by Samurainova on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:49 am

Hey guys, this post isn't meant to be a way to express my complaints, but i just wanted to point out a rather annoying fighting habit i tend to see some people picking up in their play style, so please be prepared for this.

Lately, I've seen many people get up in my face, try and parry, roll away, and do it again....I mean...its blatently obvious they are trying to get a blind parry, painfully even. To show a sense of mockery i decided to copy their play style. It was so obvious when they would parry that i parried at the exact same time as them, every...single..time. So i thought...hey, it is so obvious when they will blind parry i feel it is justified to expose this juvenile fighting pattern, in order to show them how open they are.

So, when i knew he'd parry i strafed for a back stab with my fist and boom, back stab. Not just one, several times. Obviously this had some repurcussions, he put on hornet ring, we chugged some divine blessings blah blah blah...you get the picture.

The odd thing is, i tend to see this fighting style being commonly used in duels. Even in one of the clans I'm in it is used very often. I just wonder...why do people fight like this. They straff around, do a blind parry, roll away, maybe throw in a swing or too, and do it some more. Im just very very curious what is so good about this play style. By no means am against it i mean, people are free to play how they wish, but throughout my souls history i have always been merciless.

Of course i dont go straight for back stabs, but im going to backstab you if you leave yourself open. ( Although with a balder side sword it only does 500 sooooooo...no complaints sir) After you get criticaled i will go for wake up damage, and im certainly not going to let someone who cant weapon swap out of a stunlock be released.

Anyways, i was just curious what the forums have to say on this, and as usual, if you have any other particularily annoying fighting habits you see by players please feel free to share. but...you all know my posts and you all know the drill. Also, i looked around and couldn't find anything like this so if someone already noticed this i sincerely apologize. Peace.

The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Re: Wierd Fighting Habits

Post by The Letter X on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 am

That reason alone is why I like katana so much. I do not like backstabbing, but I needed a way to punish all of the wasted parry attempts that I knew were coming. All I do is kick then slash with a katana and I am basically getting free attacks in every time that walkup parry is attempted, which is too often sometimes. For the people that do not learn, I just backstab, as much as I hate to do so. This probably got on the rise since parrying became a "mainstream" thing to do, so those who are fairly new want to try and parry to feel "pro."

The "technique" really looks ridiculous as well. I only laugh at my opponents when they are 0 for 30 in parry attempts while I am one for one.

Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:04 am

Ah praise the heavens it was not just me who saw this. Thanks for your input X, you always got good stuff to say happy

The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks, I also believe parrying is overrated. Some of the so-called elite players I know live and die by the parry, and they cannot pull out a win if you take that away from them.

That's why I've enjoyed my fights with you so far. You and a select few others have actually proven to me that you can fight, brawl, and earn your win rather than pulling off a (sometimes) lucky parry that you did not predict in anyway way, shape, or form.

Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:17 am

Oh my god! It's like you read my mind, freaking me out a little....but i still totally pyched your on the same level as me. I mean...all these blind parries people be doing, you know it cant be healthy. I know a lot of people that straight up B.S. fish will eat these guys as a tasty treat. After the seventh blind parry that has not worked on me i almost just want to shoot a message to say to stop.

The worst part is...some of these blind parries aren't even coordinated, i have slashed right into some of these parries and they have failed. i think you are completely right on the elite players thing. this tactic seems to be some sort of trend created by some of the twitchies and youtubers that others are trying to mimic. What i wonder is why?!? I can see maybe if it were within a clan FC Where you know you are safe, but up against a player you do not know??? Chances are you are going to get wiped. And god forbid they go into the forest with those fighting habits. lol

The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 am

The Forest with those tactics - lol!

I'll admit that I do attempt walk-up parries from time to time, but that's only to mix it up a bit or if my opponent is being overly predictable. Some players caught me off guard when we fought twice already and did not throw out a single parry until the third fight when I was getting overconfident.

So as a disclaimer: Walk-up parries are a legit tactic, but should not be abused. I view them like backstabs. I do not like either, but use them when they are really necessary. And I have nothing against either, I just don't like them.

Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:30 am

Oh of course, dont get me wrong when used properly it can be very effective, particularily against a katana user, but it's really wierd how it is taken to such a level. Seeing it be used y someone who obviously doesnt know what they are doing is almost alienish. I might even go as far to say that it is a little bit insulting to think someone might fall for this bait and trap repetitous act.

Davfmy

Post by Davfmy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:47 am

My Favorite people to fight is people that only go for back stabs. I LOL at their attempt. Guess they will never figure out that all you have to do is fight them WITHOUT using the lock on, and 99.9% of the time they will never get that backstab (unless you use really slow swinging weapons and just randomly swing). And to the people that fish for parrys, well those are my favorite, here is how i fight them.

Step 1: two hand my biggest weapon
    Step 2: spartan kick em
    Step 3: Jump attack them then follow up with R2 immediately (will hit them just as they stand up and wont have time to roll away or anything)

Although if im bored and the person that invaded me does nothing but parrys I usually just chase after them with a flamethrower lol.
    Kyōkai
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Kyōkai on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:45 am

Toggle escape?

Toggle parry is where it's at.

Revived

Post by The Letter X on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 am

Kyōkai wrote:Toggle escape?

Toggle parry is where it's at.

Toggle escape parrying is fun, especially if you get the toggle escape on the first hit and parry the second.

Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:04 am

I think people that overuse walk up parry just want to learn the timing to pull the parry. It's similar to setup parry, or bait parry, they're all handy and good, but overusage is costy. I'm speaking from personal experience, because I am too a parry spammer. How else can one hope to learn parry timing with this ridiculous latency and lag other than dying a few times to get it right.

All of those tactics are easy to punish by backstab, so there's really no need to worry about it. If you see someone come at you and blindly parry, take it as a sing for free bs.

Toggle parry is still outside of my skill level. I'm learning pivot parry and anti bs parry right now, with the latter being extremely useful and people really don't expect it. But I do die a lot to bad timing...
    Pivot parry is fun, but one has best chances to practice it with gankers, but then it's hard to connect it to a riposte.

Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:56 am

toggle escape, toggle parry? Is this a pc thing?

The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Samurainova wrote:toggle escape, toggle parry? Is this a pc thing?

It can be done on all platforms. If you get hit by an attack that would normally stun you, but you toggle to your other right-hand or left-hand slot at the right moment you will not get stunned. Using this glitch/bug/feature, especially when stunlocked by a GS or UGS, is very useful to escape an attack that would stun you, allowing you to parry the next attack with extreme ease if your opponent keeps attacking.

It can also be useful for facìng faster weapons if you have low poise, but it is much more useful for the bigger weapons that can stunlock you to death.

Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Oooooh cool I do that too but I usually role away, just by instinct.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:50 pm

I have no problems with parries and people that use them. If you wanna parry spam, go ahead, its just as punishable as spamming R1 attacks.

I'm just glad parries were tweaked enough to be viable as opposed to Demon's Souls.

Something I think if far more strange to witness is people practicing/trying to learn dead angles with the mura lol. Imo thats one of the funniest things to watch. lol
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Animaaal wrote:I have no problems with parries and people that use them. If you wanna parry spam, go ahead, its just as punishable as spamming R1 attacks.

I'm just glad parries were tweaked enough to be viable as opposed to Demon's Souls.

Something I think if far more strange to witness is people practicing/trying to learn dead angles with the mura lol. Imo thats one of the funniest things to watch. lol

I agree with how funny that is. Seeing things like Great Scythe, halberds, and Greatsword running attacks for dead angles seem a bit more normal, but the Mura really gives me a kick sometimes.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 pm

I have got into this mental habit of trying to roll under things that you just would never be able to, such as a 2h Washing Pole light attack, or 2h Chaos Blade strong attack.
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:03 am

Lol that awkwars moment from a failed dead angle attempt from a smoughs hammer

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:23 am

Notched whip will makes it name!

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:25 am

Seriously though, back when I use to play, I had a Divine Notched whip +5 (or 10, whatever the max was) on my faith build, and it is viable in certain situations.

Kyōkai
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Kyōkai on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:36 am

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Seriously though, back when I use to play, I had a Divine Notched whip +5 (or 10, whatever the max was) on my faith build, and it is viable in certain situations.

I prefer a great hammer's 2H rolling R1 spam.
    moomootv
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by moomootv on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 am

yeah the (elite players) players thats all they do they atk you you try to counter they run up and blind parry over and over again its annoying then they get mad if you backstab them i dont get it im just supose to sit there and wait for you to get done smashing the parry button but ive learned the way of the jump atk see some1 parry spaming i pull out my demons great axe and do the jumping atk they feel real stupid when they get crushed trying to parry it

Psn: Nielarken
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:39 am

moomootv wrote:yeah the (elite players) players thats all they do they atk you you try to counter they run up and blind parry over and over again its annoying then they get mad if you backstab them i dont get it im just supose to sit there and wait for you to get done smashing the parry button but ive learned the way of the jump atk see some1 parry spaming i pull out my demons great axe and do the jumping atk they feel real stupid when they get crushed trying to parry it

Jumping attacks used to be my favorite thing to do, but I switched to weapons with terrible tracking on their jumping attacks so I only get backstabbed when I attempt it.

"You're spamming parry? I'll just do a jumping attack!"
    *Misses and gets backstabbed.*

If I'm not using an ultragreat weapon or something like the Great Scythe, that's how it turns out if I attempt a jumping attack.

Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 am

Well that's another thing letter -, I don't the Elite Players will backstab you even if you jump attack, because its how they play. The DO do that annoying parry thing but they also don't backstab...well...the good ones atleast lol

The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:45 am

This was a few months back, so I don't know if they stopped backstabbing as often. I know for sure that randoms who parry spam take the BS though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 pm