Being the Chosen Undead

    Share
    avatar
    k4Anarky
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-02-11

    Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by k4Anarky on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:34 am

    Correct me if I'm wrong (complete noob on the lore, btw):

    ANYONE dying in the Souls world automatically become Undead. Undead cannot be killed, but they can lose their minds and go Hollow. So technically death doesn't exist? But wait, Gravelord Nito is like, Death, right? So he just got lazy somewhen?

    So the only thing that keeps me apart from almost every twichy little guy I have killed is my ability to keep it together and not go Hollow?

    Also, dying is also part of the lore, right? I have always see my toon as the bringer of death and destruction; bosses should crap their pants at my presence because they know their days are numbered. They kill me, I return from death ever stronger: "Hey Smough, ain't that the guy we flatten every other day? He seems to have a bigger sword this time around..."

    Man, that's like the only thing that keeps me going in the game. Every time I return I brought a bigger stick of pure evil and vengeance! twisted
    avatar
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11862
    Reputation : 319
    Join date : 2012-02-29
    Age : 23
    Location : The Bakery of Souls, Sydney

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by DoughGuy on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:03 am

    "ANYONE dying in the Souls world automatically become Undead. Undead
    cannot be killed, but they can lose their minds and go Hollow. So
    technically death doesn't exist? But wait, Gravelord Nito is like,
    Death, right? So he just got lazy somewhen?"

    Wrong, only those with the darksign become undead.

    "So the only thing that keeps me apart from almost every twichy little
    guy I have killed is my ability to keep it together and not go Hollow?"

    Possibly incorrect. There are theories which suggest you are a unique undead and everyone else goes hollow after the first death or 2.

    "Also, dying is also part of the lore, right? I have always see my toon
    as the bringer of death and destruction; bosses should crap their pants
    at my presence because they know their days are numbered. They kill me, I
    return from death ever stronger: "Hey Smough, ain't that the guy we
    flatten every other day? He seems to have a bigger sword this time
    around...""

    Like resting at a bonfire death is a reset. Thats why enemies reappear and bosses heal. For them its the first time each time because you're resetting time. (Thats part personal theory)


    _________________
    There's more to them - Want to know why your favourite NPC is in lordran? Find out here.
    Farewell to my Noble Knights, while we lived we were mighty. May we meet again in the next game.
    The post that started the legend XD
    avatar
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1488
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-12-23
    Age : 19
    Location : Killing the chat

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by Hue on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:01 am

    DoughGuy wrote:

    Like resting at a bonfire death is a reset. Thats why enemies reappear and bosses heal. For them its the first time each time because you're resetting time. (Thats part personal theory)

    The way i see it, maybe each time you rest at a bonfire, you warp to another Lordran, next to that same bonfire.

    I don't exactly know how to explain it, but it's a bit like the 5th dimension theory
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ca4miMMaCE


    _________________
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    [i]Huehuehue.[/i]
    avatar
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 775
    Reputation : 42
    Join date : 2013-01-09
    Location : World of the Guilty

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:44 am

    Hachouma wrote:
    DoughGuy wrote:

    Like resting at a bonfire death is a reset. Thats why enemies reappear and bosses heal. For them its the first time each time because you're resetting time. (Thats part personal theory)

    The way i see it, maybe each time you rest at a bonfire, you warp to another Lordran, next to that same bonfire.

    I don't exactly know how to explain it, but it's a bit like the 5th dimension theory
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ca4miMMaCE

    That sounds more like a multiverse to me. Especially with all the the summoning and invading into other worlds.


    _________________

    Messengers of Velka proudly allied with: The Exiled  Coffee! MoV Chat Coffee!
    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by Shkar on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 am

    The chosen undead is actually a planeswalker.


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    avatar
    k4Anarky
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-02-11

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by k4Anarky on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:25 pm

    DoughGuy wrote:
    Like resting at a bonfire death is a reset. Thats why enemies reappear and bosses heal. For them its the first time each time because you're resetting time. (Thats part personal theory)
    I'm not convinced on this. When I get cursed, I turned into a statue, when I return to fight my statue was still there.

    Planeswalking theory kinda sorta explains it. Either that, or getting curse is being eternal through time and space... If the CU is a planeswalker, then it could explains why we cannot use curse spell or curse people over PVP. :suspect: (besides being really cheap)
    avatar
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1566
    Reputation : 36
    Join date : 2013-01-28
    Age : 24
    Location : Ireland

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by KrazykevS10 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 pm

    The reason enemies reappear when you rest or die is because time in Lordran is warped and distorted.It takes the chosen undead a thousand years to fill the lordvessel.While not directly said,we can assume dying had something to do with it.Because of the distortion,what seems like only being dead for a moment is really much longer.

    And the reason you don't go hollow is believed to be because part of the last lord soul,the dark soul is melded with your own.Humanity are supposedly just fragments of the dark soul,other undead lose theirs when they die and become hollow and insane but you can't because it is part of your soul.

    Most of this is just speculation however,as the develepors wanted us to find our own meaning in the story.


    _________________
    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by Shkar on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 am

    KrazykevS10 wrote:The reason enemies reappear when you rest or die is because time in Lordran is warped and distorted.It takes the chosen undead a thousand years to fill the lordvessel.While not directly said,we can assume dying had something to do with it.Because of the distortion,what seems like only being dead for a moment is really much longer.

    And the reason you don't go hollow is believed to be because part of the last lord soul,the dark soul is melded with your own.Humanity are supposedly just fragments of the dark soul,other undead lose theirs when they die and become hollow and insane but you can't because it is part of your soul.

    Most of this is just speculation however,as the develepors wanted us to find our own meaning in the story.

    It's a 1000 years since Gwyn linked the fire, not 1000 years from the Asylum to the Kiln (although now I'm curious just how long it is...)

    As for the second, you can lose your humanity. You lose it everytime you die.


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by alchemydesign on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:18 pm

    Well, not to toot my own horn or whatnot, but I've touched on the planar theory and we've went pretty in-depth into it, check out my Planar Map post and the Primordial Serpent post happy

    /endshamelessplug
    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by DE5PA1R on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am

    k4Anarky wrote:ANYONE dying in the Souls world automatically become Undead. Undead cannot be killed, but they can lose their minds and go Hollow. So technically death doesn't exist? But wait, Gravelord Nito is like, Death, right? So he just got lazy somewhen?

    So the only thing that keeps me apart from almost every twichy little guy I have killed is my ability to keep it together and not go Hollow?

    Most of the important parts have been addressed. Couple of things to add:

    Dialogue from Crestfallen Merchant strongly implies that one can predict the moment when an Undead goes Hollow. The going (unproven) theory is that an Undead Hollows when they give up while having no souls and/or Humanity.

    Also, Nito is the god of death, but we're unsure if they are in charge of the death of pygmies, humans, etc. They may just care about the Giants and/or the "deiety race."
    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by Shkar on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:37 am

    DE5PA1R wrote:
    k4Anarky wrote:ANYONE dying in the Souls world automatically become Undead. Undead cannot be killed, but they can lose their minds and go Hollow. So technically death doesn't exist? But wait, Gravelord Nito is like, Death, right? So he just got lazy somewhen?

    So the only thing that keeps me apart from almost every twichy little guy I have killed is my ability to keep it together and not go Hollow?

    Most of the important parts have been addressed. Couple of things to add:

    Dialogue from Crestfallen Merchant strongly implies that one can predict the moment when an Undead goes Hollow. The going (unproven) theory is that an Undead Hollows when they give up while having no souls and/or Humanity.

    Also, Nito is the god of death, but we're unsure if they are in charge of the death of pygmies, humans, etc. They may just care about the Giants and/or the "deiety race."

    Actually. the leading theory around here is that a person hollows when they give up all hope and just stop trying.


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    avatar
    Sir Mandred
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 19
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-10-19

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by Sir Mandred on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:25 am

    The bonfires are pretty special in the regard of how people citing that the Chosen Undead "planewalks", in part this is true, while in part it's also more of a speculation. The things we know is that phantoms cross the boundaries of planes by the use of soapstones/orbs and are summoned to someone elses world or invade it, all the while it's likely that the bonfire only works as more of an aesthetic mechanic for a resting place and respawning enemies is simply a gameplay mechanic.

    What we DO know about the bonfire though:


    • The Darksign binds the undead in question to the bonfires.
    • Even if the person in question uses powerful divine magic to try and return to his homeland, the spell returns the branded to a bonfire instead.
    • The bonfires are kindled with humanity and the rite of kindling that is used by clerics to fuel the fires is considered a "Sacred Mission" for the Way Of The White.
    These are pretty much all the facts that are shared about the bonfires. All in all the bonfires simply work to rejuvenate the undead, as they are literally piles of burning humanity that both give the undead the chance to reclaim their humanity, or burn more humanity in the fire to acquire more Estus.

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by alchemydesign on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:47 am

    Shkar wrote:
    DE5PA1R wrote:
    k4Anarky wrote:ANYONE dying in the Souls world automatically become Undead. Undead cannot be killed, but they can lose their minds and go Hollow. So technically death doesn't exist? But wait, Gravelord Nito is like, Death, right? So he just got lazy somewhen?

    So the only thing that keeps me apart from almost every twichy little guy I have killed is my ability to keep it together and not go Hollow?

    Most of the important parts have been addressed. Couple of things to add:

    Dialogue from Crestfallen Merchant strongly implies that one can predict the moment when an Undead goes Hollow. The going (unproven) theory is that an Undead Hollows when they give up while having no souls and/or Humanity.

    Also, Nito is the god of death, but we're unsure if they are in charge of the death of pygmies, humans, etc. They may just care about the Giants and/or the "deiety race."

    Actually. the leading theory around here is that a person hollows when they give up all hope and just stop trying.

    Or rather when they complete their life's ambition, such as Big Hat, etc.
    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by Shkar on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm

    alchemydesign wrote:
    Shkar wrote:
    DE5PA1R wrote:
    k4Anarky wrote:ANYONE dying in the Souls world automatically become Undead. Undead cannot be killed, but they can lose their minds and go Hollow. So technically death doesn't exist? But wait, Gravelord Nito is like, Death, right? So he just got lazy somewhen?

    So the only thing that keeps me apart from almost every twichy little guy I have killed is my ability to keep it together and not go Hollow?

    Most of the important parts have been addressed. Couple of things to add:

    Dialogue from Crestfallen Merchant strongly implies that one can predict the moment when an Undead goes Hollow. The going (unproven) theory is that an Undead Hollows when they give up while having no souls and/or Humanity.

    Also, Nito is the god of death, but we're unsure if they are in charge of the death of pygmies, humans, etc. They may just care about the Giants and/or the "deiety race."

    Actually. the leading theory around here is that a person hollows when they give up all hope and just stop trying.

    Or rather when they complete their life's ambition, such as Big Hat, etc.

    Logan doesn't go hollow. Instead, the characters that go hollow (Laurentius, Crestfallen Knight, and the younger sorcerer) all do so without actually making it to (or failing to find) the thing they were searching for.


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic

    Sponsored content

    Re: Being the Chosen Undead

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am