PVP Pyromancy

Klosterheim
    Casual
    Casual

PVP Pyromancy

Post by Klosterheim on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:31 am

Ok, I am relatively new to PvP, but it seems to me that most offensive Pyromancy spells are completely worthless.

In fact, from what I have been reading, just about every offensive spell in the game, with the possible exception of the homing spells (which are really defensive, in my book) and some of the super, super fast dmg spells that I haven't found yet are completely worthless. Yes, occasionally I will get lucky, but mostly, it all seems pointless.

Is this true? It just seems laughable to try to launch a spell when someone is jumping and twirling and backstabbing you before you're even sure where you are.

I'm not a terrible player, but I'm just not having a lot of luck with d' Spellz.
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: PVP Pyromancy

Post by bloodpixel on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:14 am

Fire Tempest can be useful, granted you have high enough dex and your enemy is stupid.

Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 am

Pyromancy can be improved with some skill, but still depends heavily on your opponent, and some luck. Great fireball can be chucked without lock on, so if your opponent happens to decide to dodge the direction you chucked it it'll hurt real bad. If you look up before casting, you'll chuck it high up and it'll explode in theor faces, with a huge radius. Great combustion is one of the more powerful, spammed, and brainless kind of spell. Spamming it like most people do will get you nowhere before you use it all up. Having the pryo glove on your left, though, and an ocassional surprise cast mixed in with your melee attacks can be very effective. The next one I use a lot is Fire surge. It does limited damage, but if you wear the Crown of Dusk and/or Bellowing Dragon Crest ring it'll do some nice damage and fend off opponents while you recover stamina. Fire Tempest, really, depends on lag, luck, and your opponent.

exandroide
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by exandroide on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:26 am

i've won a lot of fights with Fire Tempest, but i also get back stabbed a lot. it works best when you're getting 3v1'd, and the goons are a little too confident rushing in. most people will just run off and avoid it completely; some will rush in to BS, and if you're lucky you'll get the spell off in time. it kills a lot of people outright.

it looks cool as hell and it's very satisfying when you get someone with it
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:42 pm

I love the spells in this game and rarely lose w/ my battle mage. Here are some tips for good spell casting.

1) keep them in the left hand and a melee weapon in the right
    2) constantly switch between spells, this is key, keep your opponent off guard
    3) switch tactics between spells and melee

The useful spells are the homing ones, soul spears, combustion, wrath of god, fireball (manually aimed), and some of the AoE spells like fire tempest or gravelord sword dance. Of course, you'll have to learn the right circumstances to use each, but IMO, a good spell caster is very difficult to defeat.

SL41 Pyro/Dex Sephiroth cosplay
    SL120 Fth/Int Pure Caster
    SL120 Fth DW
    SL120 Int DW
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 pm

I have 2 slots on each of my Darkwraiths.

Great Combustion and Fire Tempest.

I've lost count how many people I've put away with GB, and wiping out a 2 or 3 on 1 with Fire Tempest is one of the greatest things in the game for me, I have done it at least a hundred times I'd guess.

Like nearly everything in the game it is all about timing.

A Bunch of My Builds
    TonyDamajer
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TonyDamajer on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm

hitting with pyromancy is just as hard as hitting with a weapon, the problem is that you will run out of casts if you keep whiffing.
    Its nice to have something that you can use without spending stamina tho - I always use one kind of magic
    Klosterheim
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Klosterheim on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback from everyone.

One point in particular I didn't consider is that I actually whiff on melee a lot too, but there's an unlimited supply of melee strikes, so it somehow feels less frustrating.

I'm still having a lot of fun -- frustration is not necessarily a vice in this particular game -- but I have to admit that I was a little flustered after getting ganked several times last night while trying to use a spell.

theGentleman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by theGentleman on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:31 pm

The spells are just like any other weapon in the game, you have to know how and when to use them.
    The Chaos pyromancies leave a nice coat of lava on the ground so it's great against groups in confined quarters - you wouldn't use a halberd in a tight hallway, you wouldn't use fireball in wide open spaces.
    Great Combustion is a beast but if that is all my opponent is using, I've learned to just back-step until I see them flash it 8times. I use it with thief-like builds where the opponent isn't afraid to let you get in close and is more concerned in guarding their back.
    Iron Flesh and Power Within are essentials but you can't give them room to run.
    Use Chameleon to disguise yourself (req 14INT) and hit them with a Fire Tempest when they come around a corner. (update of an old trick from Demon Souls.)

Time and Place. Time and Place.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:21 am