How do you co-op?

Poll

Do I really need to write the question again?

[ 33 ]
    97% [97%] 
    [ 1 ]
    3% [3%] 

Total Votes: 34
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

How do you co-op?

Post by WandererReece on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:59 pm

When I help a host I help them with the whole level, or as much as they want to do. If I'm summoned at a low level, and the host looks like he's about to miss somethig important, then I will try to guide him to it.

Most people I know hate it when they summon a phantom that immedeately sprints straight to the boss. Some of them even kick those people out.

However, someone once told me, "It is so annoying when a host wants to run through and get every little item. Dang kill the boss then do your exploration. Phantoms are there to help you get to and kill the boss thats it."

What do you people think? Does co-op cover the whole level, or is it limited to the boss?

Re: How do you co-op?

Post by skarekrow13 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks to my incredibly wonky internet connection I haven't done a ton of co-op. Most of it occurred near boss doors so that was the obvious angle. The few times I was summoned to an earlier point in a level I helped with everything, including making sure they at least saw areas which might hold treasure.

I was helping at the Kiln when I first got there in NG a long long time ago and actually became frustrated by the host running in too fast. Now I know they had the treasures and such and didn't need to guide them but the host and the other phantom would run to the next knight, where they would agonizingly fight them and use healing items etc. I tried to show them how to aggro them with a bow and let the fight come to them and some other strategies but they wouldn't wait long enough for me to use the bow. Anyway, it almost ended with some cliff diving on their part.

LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm

When I help a host it's to get some quick souls or humanity. I run straight to the boss/mini-boss doors.

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 pm

My only reason for cooping is to help people through the level. You can easily gain souls other ways, faster ways. I black crystal anyone that guns it straght for the door.

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Whole level. Co-op is fun.

Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm

I do a compromise. I usually don't wait around for the host to grab every soul and explore every corner, I usually just clear a path to the boss and make it obvious to the host that finishing the level is the first priority.

7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm

whole level, if i see they dont know the level i guide them to all the goodies. if youre doing it for the himanity you might as well farm for humanity since it would be faster.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 pm

I follow the host. If he runs straight to the boss, then so will I.

Uparkaam (main account)
    Dorkmoon
    Torch_Hollow
    Ravelord_Servant
    Gastro_Zombie
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

the worse thing that can happen to me while coop'ing is the host getting invaded right as we're getting to the fog door only for his/her dumbass to turn around,chase the invader into the mobss and get slaughtered, makes me so mad!

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 pm

I drop with the full intention to take them through every nook and cranny. If I want boss fights only I'll drop in front of Arty or directly in front of a boss fog, otherwise, I coop for the full emergent gameplay experience. Anor Londo and Oolacile Township are my favorite places to coop because of that. The length and intricacies of the levels mixed with invasions really make for some memorable times, plus the boss fights are rewarding punctuations to the experience.

Please help the community by joining both wikis and Fextralife!

Forum Guidelines / Resource Guides / Dark Souls Wiki / Dark Souls 2 Wiki / Wiki Live Chat

Fextralife / Wiki Twitch / Emergence Twitch / Wiki Fight Club / The Pantheon
    moomootv
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by moomootv on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 pm

I just like to help fight but I want the host to feel free to explore I dont want to show him where everything is that kills it for them also i dont bring fully upgraded weapons that can 1shot everything because then the host is just sitting in the back not doing anything I want him to feel safe to explore because hes got some1 to backing him up if they send me a msg saying "im lost or do you know where I can get ___" then i will be happy to show. Also I hate when some phantoms run and leave the host when they get low on health never leave your host if im going to die meh buy some time for him to run or heal leaving a host with an invader so you can live is very dumb.

Psn: Nielarken
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:01 pm

I've already mentioned this a couple of times now, but i'll go through it again. tongue

As a summon, you leave yourself to be summoned by anyone. You offer yourself to be summoned by someone who needs help pretty much. If you want to kill the boss, put it infront of the fog gate and hope for the best.

I, as a summon, try to help the host with whatever they may need. Whether it be ganking, exploring or perhaps kill a boss, i will help them. But only on one condition; they must heal me. I don't need them to waste every single Estus Flask if i do bad, but if they want my help, then they could atleast show it.

It's like having a pet. You don't just buy it to comfort yourself without feeding it; if you want something, you'll have to give as well. And as far as i can tell, healing isn't exactly a lot to ask for. silly

To sum things up, as a summon, i will go away from my regular playstyle, simply to help the host. I prefer being honorable, but if the host wants to gank, so be it.

What i do as a host myself, and what i do as a summon are two entirely different things. Atleast that's my take on it. happy

GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:02 pm

When I used to co-op I would do the whole level, just because I don't know how the host plays when it comes to exploring. It's kind of satisfying actually, when I know I've helped out a new player when it comes to playing the game.

Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Like everything else in life what I do as a summon depends on the host actions and desires in the game. But I do have a code of responsibility to help and ensure safety for the host. If the host intends to look for ever nook and cranny of an area be my guest and I'll help get rid of everything hostile in the level so the host can do just that. It's fun once and awhile to do that. When the host runs for the fog gate I'll follow and take out any stranglers after us. Hell I'll even gank for souls which is a rarity and I lower my pvp effort. I believe that as a summon phantom, white or gold, it's our job to help the host for anything they need. Since the phantom is taking the time to help another player when the phantom can easily invade the host instead. If you are going to flee and leave the host to die, I'm sorry but what are you doing placing a summon sign for?

Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm

I tend to follow the host, aiding if necessary, especially if they appear capable and seem to know the level.. If I can tell, host is totally new, wants me to lead, I'll take em to all the goodies I know, clearing the level. Rarely do I go far from the host, in case he get's invaded.

In a world with so few RULES, its always rough when someone plays in a way you think is unfair. Get over it.

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 pm

i clear the area myself before summoning any phantoms to help with the boss, i don't actually need the help, but i will summon if i see a sign laying around.

as i clear an area i always leave a summon sign near a bonfire and am more than happy to follow the host around the entire level and try to direct towards things i think they may have missed.
    befowler

Post by befowler on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Depends on the host. If it is a noob or someone who clearly needs help, I will go through the entire level with them very patiently. But if it is a guy who considers himself pro (usually naked/low poise, weird gear, etc) and wants to run around showing off all their skillz on the way to the boss, I often purposefully hang back a little bit and let them do it. Most of the time they die in some embarrassing way that I often see coming and probably could have prevented, but sometimes you just need a good laugh.

To their credit though sometimes those guys PM me an apology, and if they re-summon me I'll take it more seriously.

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by KingSeekerCow on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 am

I think you should add other. I usually do it on a case by case basis. Like for Gargos, if the channeler and the tower guard is still alive, I do the entire chatedeal. But if they are dead or even one of them is dead, then I usually head straight to the boss.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 am

I couldn't vote. I'm with KingSeekerCrow.

Manus for instance. I'll get them the black magic, free Sif, but as soon as they start farming ghosts......... :evil:

I'm not against helping a quester, but if someone wants to go back into Blighttown from the second bonfire in order to get the Power Within or something, I BC out. I'm not spending an hour or two for something that could cause them to fall to their death.

I'll help, but I'm there for boss murdering and I'm daaaaaaaamn good at it. twisted

***EDIT***
    Actually I'm just okay I guess. I just tweak my toon for the area I'm co-oping in......which makes me seem better than I am I guess. But in my mind....IM A GOD! Evil Fex jj
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:21 am

I try to help the host in any way he needs, because sometimes they don't want to kill the boss, sometimes they just want to kill a hard enemy or a mini-boss, so I wait for the host's cue. Yeah, humanity is a great reward, but doing co-op is just fun.

Though I must say that I hate it when the summoner decides to explore the swamp in Blighttown, I have to eat a lot of purple moss.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 am

I wanted to join this conversation and write how I try to play as a phantom, but then I've read Emergence's post and it fits my playstyle so perfectly, that I'll just quote him and be done with it. happy
    Emergence wrote:I drop with the full intention to take them through every nook and cranny. If I want boss fights only I'll drop in front of Arty or directly in front of a boss fog, otherwise, I coop for the full emergent gameplay experience. Anor Londo and Oolacile Township are my favorite places to coop because of that. The length and intricacies of the levels mixed with invasions really make for some memorable times, plus the boss fights are rewarding punctuations to the experience.

As a host, I'm usually the type who explores everything, even though I've already done it hundreds of times. I expect my phantoms to follow me and help me, although I do summon them mostly for the company instead for the support. If they wander off, I'll :black-crystal: them if they don't get back soon.

Some ask why I did it, some send hatemail right away.
    When I explain it to them, the usual response is somewhat like this:
    WandererReece wrote:However, someone once told me, "It is so annoying when a host wants to run through and get every little item. Dang kill the boss then do your exploration. Phantoms are there to help you get to and kill the boss thats it."
    I always reply, that if they wish to fight the boss, they should put their sign in front of the boss fog, not at the start, or middle of the area. Also, if it's annoying to help, perhaps they should invade instead. They'll get their Souls and Humanity faster that way as well.

Storm_Fleshcloak

Post by Storm_Fleshcloak on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 am

My friend has two TVs and we both have PS3s so I just go over to his house and we both play in the same room together, makes it a lot of fun when we're helping eachother out. My friend is behind me 10 or so levels so I'm waiting on him, but since we were the same level at one point, we're supportive of each other when we play. Our strategy is, I take most of the damage and distract the enemies, while he stays back throwing Lightning Spears, doing damage where he can and occassionally takes the enemies off of me while I use an Estus Flask to heal us since I'm usually host because I'm the strongest of the two of us. Sunbros4lyfe
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:If you are going to flee and leave the host to die, I'm sorry but what are you doing placing a summon sign for?

I always wondered the same thing. This is the way I see it:

Phantoms help the host kill stuff and get souls. Then they help kill the boss and get humanity. If the host dies, then they get less souls and no humanity. Why would they choose to let the host die?

Animaal wrote:if someone wants to go back into Blighttown from the second bonfire in order to get the Power Within or something, I BC out.

People really get Power Within from the 2nd fire? I guess it's the people who like hosting in the Depths.

Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm

WandererReece wrote:People really get Power Within from the 2nd fire? I guess it's the people who like hosting in the Depths.

I didn't even know that doing so was possible for a long time, TBH.

VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:07 pm

- As a host, I do the whole level.
    - As a summon, I just follow the host
    - As a salmon, I just swim...
    - As a humorists, I suck...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content