Undead Parish & PvP

    Share
    avatar
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 415
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-10-26
    Age : 25
    Location : D'Hara

    Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by WaLKA on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 am

    I want to start off by saying that I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this, since I'm talking about the PvPers rather than the PvP itself. I'd also like to say you can skip down to the second paragraph for the tl;dr version.


    When I first started playing Dark Souls, I had a few Darkwraiths that gave me a hard time at the Parish. Later on when I realized the amount of souls I could get, I started to White Sign to co-op the gargoyles for the souls to buy the Crest of Artorias. There was plenty of twinked out red phantoms then as well, doing remarkably cheap things. I made two max level characters before the latest patch and I have one just sitting at the Parish. I'm not too good at PvP, but my level plus the gear I have lets me win most of my fight against invading Darkwraiths, who still do things like throw max pyro hand combusts, backstabs and whatever they can get away with. It was only recently that I started to wonder if I still am even protecting new players by trying to deter these twinked invaders.

    So my question is; are there really still new players that pass through the Parish that're still invaded, new to the game or just new characters period, that have problems with them? Or am I possibly ruining some low leveled PvP for people that still enjoy to do so there? I'm curious and would appreciate any answer or thoughts on it. Because if I really am ruining it for people that're genuinely fighting there and aren't just a-holes wanting to destroy new players, I'd feel inclined to stop.


    _________________
    XBL: iHokuto Shinken

    Owner of The HnK Leveling & Soul Service. Smith of Lord of Ash, The Invader Trader. Velka's Blade of the Exiled of Ariamis. Far East Trainers initiate.


    I got 99 problems but a witch ain't one.
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by Sentiel on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 am

    Yes, there still are new players. Also, with the removal of BB glitch, even current players have to start fresh if they want to make a new build and they're as vulnerable to the twink invaders as everybody else.

    I have SL 1 and 25 goofing in Parish and I've helped about seven people yesterday. Even a +5 weapon doesn't do more than 150 HP damage on riposte to them, but few R2 swings with Chaos Shotel leave them kneeling and slowly fading away. winking

    avatar
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 420
    Reputation : 16
    Join date : 2012-11-14
    Age : 36
    Location : France

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by VaDoom on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 am

    Don't worry, there are still a good bunch of griefers, just here to overkill new players/characters.
    I don't think it will change soon.
    Beware though that what you are doing can also be badly considered, because there also are some people trying to get low level "balanced" PvP.
    Mayba you could try doing an anti griefer build instead. And propose your help to new players/characters as a white/gold phantom. It' actualy like a low level griefer build, but you use OP gears and weapons only against invading griefers, and switch it to "balanced" gears/weapons to help your host. Using your OP stuff to help an host is not a good idea, it can make the game too easy for him.


    _________________
    PSN : mega_perle
    PC : BandeDeNazes
    avatar
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 415
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-10-26
    Age : 25
    Location : D'Hara

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by WaLKA on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:46 am

    That cat is the most hilarious character in that anime from what I've seen.


    I kinda figured that was the answer, I just wanted to be sure. Someone mentioned how little new players there actually were nowadays and it got me thinking about this.

    I ran into someone the other day eating divine blessings like they had 99 to spare. I was scratching my head at that. Someone else just camped up by the fog gate where they spawn in the Church, using the Red Tearstone Ring, Tin Crys. Catalyst and shooting C. Soul Spears when someone tried going up the ladder.




    So yeah, I know there're still quite a few griefers there. But that is also a valid point. So I'm thinking it would probably be better to keep the character there to smack around Darkwraith griefers still, but also making another character for use like VaDoom said instead of focusing on just fighting them like I have been.


    _________________
    XBL: iHokuto Shinken

    Owner of The HnK Leveling & Soul Service. Smith of Lord of Ash, The Invader Trader. Velka's Blade of the Exiled of Ariamis. Far East Trainers initiate.


    I got 99 problems but a witch ain't one.
    avatar
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 420
    Reputation : 16
    Join date : 2012-11-14
    Age : 36
    Location : France

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by VaDoom on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am

    WaLKA wrote:That cat is the most hilarious character in that anime from what I've seen.


    I kinda figured that was the answer, I just wanted to be sure. Someone mentioned how little new players there actually were nowadays and it got me thinking about this.

    I ran into someone the other day eating divine blessings like they had 99 to spare. I was scratching my head at that. Someone else just camped up by the fog gate where they spawn in the Church, using the Red Tearstone Ring, Tin Crys. Catalyst and shooting C. Soul Spears when someone tried going up the ladder.




    So yeah, I know there're still quite a few griefers there. But that is also a valid point. So I'm thinking it would probably be better to keep the character there to smack around Darkwraith griefers still, but also making another character for use like VaDoom said instead of focusing on just fighting them like I have been.

    Maybe I missed something in the first posts (rereading), or maybe my brain is off... But what "the cat..." thing has to do in the discussion ? tongue
    OK for the rest winking


    _________________
    PSN : mega_perle
    PC : BandeDeNazes
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by Sentiel on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:02 am

    I prefer to just stroll with host with a weak weapon. I think I got a +5 Shortword right now. When we get invaded, I first try to ascertain the level of threat the invader poses to the host. If the invader seems to be using gear fitting for the current area and SL we fight normaly.
    If he's got OP stuff, I take out my OP stuff as well.

    You can tell what the invader is using simply by looking at him and blocking a few attacks with your shield if you're not sure.
    If you're taking chip damage, he's using elemental weapon. You can make sure by getting phantom hit and see the weapons effect for yourself.
    Some will dish out GC/BF on you if you block too much, which is also a great giweaway of their intentions and equipment.

    All of that can be done in matter of seconds, so there's next to no threat to the host. But still, it's better not to take chances.

    avatar
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 415
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-10-26
    Age : 25
    Location : D'Hara

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by WaLKA on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 am

    VaDoom wrote:
    WaLKA wrote:That cat is the most hilarious character in that anime from what I've seen.


    I kinda figured that was the answer, I just wanted to be sure. Someone mentioned how little new players there actually were nowadays and it got me thinking about this.

    I ran into someone the other day eating divine blessings like they had 99 to spare. I was scratching my head at that. Someone else just camped up by the fog gate where they spawn in the Church, using the Red Tearstone Ring, Tin Crys. Catalyst and shooting C. Soul Spears when someone tried going up the ladder.




    So yeah, I know there're still quite a few griefers there. But that is also a valid point. So I'm thinking it would probably be better to keep the character there to smack around Darkwraith griefers still, but also making another character for use like VaDoom said instead of focusing on just fighting them like I have been.

    Maybe I missed something in the first posts (rereading), or maybe my brain is off... But what "the cat..." thing has to do in the discussion ? tongue
    OK for the rest winking
    I just liked sentiel's signature lol


    _________________
    XBL: iHokuto Shinken

    Owner of The HnK Leveling & Soul Service. Smith of Lord of Ash, The Invader Trader. Velka's Blade of the Exiled of Ariamis. Far East Trainers initiate.


    I got 99 problems but a witch ain't one.
    avatar
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 415
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-10-26
    Age : 25
    Location : D'Hara

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by WaLKA on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:15 am

    That's awesome. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person trying to look out for new people there.


    _________________
    XBL: iHokuto Shinken

    Owner of The HnK Leveling & Soul Service. Smith of Lord of Ash, The Invader Trader. Velka's Blade of the Exiled of Ariamis. Far East Trainers initiate.


    I got 99 problems but a witch ain't one.
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by Sentiel on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:34 am

    Since I sucked at PvP terribly (still do), I focused on co-op much more. I could spend a whole day in Anor Londo, helping people killing O&S and still like to do it even today.

    New players are fun to play with, but they're rare now.
    It's always fun to watch them get nervous around Black Knights and getting their butts spiked by Armored Boar. lol!

    avatar
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2290
    Reputation : 120
    Join date : 2012-05-27

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by Ghadis_God on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:01 pm

    I invade the Parish at SL5 but use +5 weapons and almost no armor to give a fair fight to hosts, though I usually cheese the phantoms who often are just as overpowered for the Parish as invaders are.


    _________________
    7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

    PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS
    avatar
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 279
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-02-10
    Age : 24
    Location : México

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by Dusk Soul on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:22 pm

    I am one of those newbies (I got the game January first this year) and hate going through any of the low-level areas and get invaded by someone with dunno serious pvp gear (I have seriously seen people with full armor of thorns + lighting claymore at SL 20) when I barely have the starter gear.

    I am seriously considering going hollow all the game till I reach NG+

    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9912
    Reputation : 106
    Join date : 2012-12-18

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by User1 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

    Walka, I have also been encountering more of these invaders on my sl20 co-op character. And I remember fighing you in the Ceaseless Assault event. You fell to the wrath of my Silver Knight Spear. twisted
    avatar
    SpecialNewb
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 112
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-12-24

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by SpecialNewb on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:38 pm

    Yeah, I was helping people out there yesterday on a lvl20 character and I encountered at least 4 twinked out invaders. Ornstein's armor, Havels, full pyro, abyss magic(!), DMB and crystal soul spears were all on display.
    avatar
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 415
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-10-26
    Age : 25
    Location : D'Hara

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by WaLKA on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:24 pm

    RenegadeCop wrote:Walka, I have also been encountering more of these invaders on my sl20 co-op character. And I remember fighing you in the Ceaseless Assault event. You fell to the wrath of my Silver Knight Spear. twisted
    Yeah lol. That day I ran into you and tinypantha. after that it was always gankers.


    _________________
    XBL: iHokuto Shinken

    Owner of The HnK Leveling & Soul Service. Smith of Lord of Ash, The Invader Trader. Velka's Blade of the Exiled of Ariamis. Far East Trainers initiate.


    I got 99 problems but a witch ain't one.
    avatar
    WaLKA
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 415
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-10-26
    Age : 25
    Location : D'Hara

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by WaLKA on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:26 pm

    SpecialNewb wrote:Yeah, I was helping people out there yesterday on a lvl20 character and I encountered at least 4 twinked out invaders. Ornstein's armor, Havels, full pyro, abyss magic(!), DMB and crystal soul spears were all on display.
    That's the kind of thing I see that pisses me off and makes me do it. I mean really, if anyone's using abyss magic there they're obviously griefing. Stuff's OP. I still can't figure out how to evade Pursuers completely either.


    _________________
    XBL: iHokuto Shinken

    Owner of The HnK Leveling & Soul Service. Smith of Lord of Ash, The Invader Trader. Velka's Blade of the Exiled of Ariamis. Far East Trainers initiate.


    I got 99 problems but a witch ain't one.
    avatar
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1223
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2012-07-29
    Age : 21
    Location : Milliontown

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by Myztyrio on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:02 pm

    Yes, almost everyone has to deal with an OP invader while going through the parish. It's just a place they like to invade, because they know that in the burg there will be lots of high levels looking for pvp, while in the parish there is mostly lower levels just ringing the bell. There are two ways to avoid it though:

    a) Go hollow
    b) Get a strong early game weapon such as GLS or Ghost Blade to even the playing ground


    _________________
    PSN: Myztyrio
    Sub: AzureArmageddon




    avatar
    SpecialNewb
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 112
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-12-24

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by SpecialNewb on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 pm

    WaLKA wrote:
    SpecialNewb wrote:Yeah, I was helping people out there yesterday on a lvl20 character and I encountered at least 4 twinked out invaders. Ornstein's armor, Havels, full pyro, abyss magic(!), DMB and crystal soul spears were all on display.
    That's the kind of thing I see that pisses me off and makes me do it. I mean really, if anyone's using abyss magic there they're obviously griefing. Stuff's OP. I still can't figure out how to evade Pursuers completely either.
    My 125 darkwraith mage uses Abyss magic and I make no apology but it's not my main attack; I midroll with the MLGS as a straight up magic knight. On the other side, I rarely have trouble dodging pursuers or DB 1v1 but I agree the spells could use a downgrade. If not pure power, reduce Pursuers to max of 4 orbs, and narrow the spread on DB.

    Regardless, that's got no place Parish NG griefing.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Undead Parish & PvP

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 pm