Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

The parry window in pvp

ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

The parry window in pvp Empty The parry window in pvp

Post by ublug Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:14 am

Do anyone even know about this mechanic? I'm talking about the possibility to do a critical attack during the parry, and not the hyperarmor frames.

Long ago I noticed that you can almost insta-riposte during pve if you do the parry at riposte distance. I do this all the time when I parry in-game enemies to shorten the parry-riposte animations. This is done by hitting R1 immediately after L2, and the riposte will happen almost before the parry animation plays. If timed right the R1 attack should not be executed after the parry if you only do a partial (or miss it), so you won't commit to a follow-up attack. It can also be done as a normal backstab. The timing is easy to get right, just hit light attack during a parry, it should be successful if there's no attack happening after the parry animation completes.

I will sometimes do this during pvp out of habit, and have noticed that it can score a backstab against a failed or partial parried running attack or a pivot stab. I can not do the insta-parry during a normal parry online (afaik) because of the latency, but the parry should still play out as normal.

I haven't tested it enough online to know if it's viable. I also hope I haven't unleashed another exploit if it is unknown.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

The parry window in pvp Empty Re: The parry window in pvp

Post by Saturday-Saint Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 am

Nope, can't do it online. They need to actually go into the reeling animation from getting parried before the game will register your riposte input. Since this happens the instant they are parried in PvE, it works, since there is a delay in PvP, it does not. The best way to avoid doing an R1 by accident is to step toward them and riposte in reaction to the reeling animation.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:13 am

I'm still amazed that it sometimes gives me a pivot backstab though, since I shouldn't be in a position to do this, or be able to turn during the shield animation.
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 am

ublug wrote:Do anyone even know about this mechanic? I'm talking about the possibility to do a critical attack during the parry, and not the hyperarmor frames.

Long ago I noticed that you can almost insta-riposte during pve if you do the parry at riposte distance. I do this all the time when I parry in-game enemies to shorten the parry-riposte animations. This is done by hitting R1 immediately after L2, and the riposte will happen almost before the parry animation plays. If timed right the R1 attack should not be executed after the parry if you only do a partial (or miss it), so you won't commit to a follow-up attack. It can also be done as a normal backstab. The timing is easy to get right, just hit light attack during a parry, it should be successful if there's no attack happening after the parry animation completes.

I will sometimes do this during pvp out of habit, and have noticed that it can score a backstab against a failed or partial parried running attack or a pivot stab. I can not do the insta-parry during a normal parry online (afaik) because of the latency, but the parry should still play out as normal.

I haven't tested it enough online to know if it's viable. I also hope I haven't unleashed another exploit if it is unknown.

I have done the insta-parry online, used to do it quite regulary.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:14 am

Yeah, you can do it online but it depends on the connection between you and your opponent, I have done it a lot but I also have had delayed parries for up to two seconds which ends up beign a backstab.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 am