Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Share

    butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 102
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-02-06

    Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by butternut86 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:32 am

    Right now I have a Claymore + 10, and ManSerpent Greatsword +9. I'm also upgrading a Painting curved sword (forgot the name.. its from those white dressed guys in Anor Londo) .. I have that one +7..


    So I have a few routes I can take. I was thinking about making the Painted curved sword into a Quelaag's Fury sword. Is that a good weapon? I never used it during my playthroughs.

    I'm not sure what to do with the Claymore. I heard its a really good weapon, but I'm debating if I should raise it to +15, or make it to a Chaos Claymore.

    Right now my Intelligence is really low, so it might take a while for me to raise my INT so I can buff it well. Would the Chaos Claymore give good damage in my NG playthrough? How about NG+?

    I have a NG+ file that I used a Manserpent Greatsword +15 and buffed with Crystal Magic Weapon. I'm wondering if I should do that with the Claymore, or if the Manserpent is better.


    So what do you guys think? Would a Chaos Claymore +5 or a Chaos Manserpent Greatsword + 5 be useful, or should I try to ascend both to +15 and buff em?
    avatar
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1856
    Reputation : 109
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Age : 22
    Location : Darkroot Basin

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by LunarFog on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:03 am

    People will ask you what your stats are.

    Quelaag's fury sword is a good weapon since it also scales with humanity along with stats.

    Although I don't have any experience with characters over level 99 and past NG

    avatar
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2290
    Reputation : 120
    Join date : 2012-05-27

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by Ghadis_God on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 am

    Depends on your stats. If you have high dex, use the Painting sword, high Str use the Manserpent, high both use the Clay. Quelaag's scales with dex and humanity.


    _________________
    7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

    PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS

    butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 102
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-02-06

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by butternut86 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 am

    Ghadis_God wrote:Depends on your stats. If you have high dex, use the Painting sword, high Str use the Manserpent, high both use the Clay. Quelaag's scales with dex and humanity.

    My bad..

    Here are my stats I'm a lvl 70 character right now

    Vitality 27
    Attunment 12
    Endurance 28
    Strength 27
    Dexterity 20
    Resistance 11
    Intelligence 11
    Faith 16


    Right now I'm pretty much all melee. I have magic, but my intelligence is so low, that i rarely use magic. I mainly fill my attunement slots with Heal miracles.

    So with those stats what would you do?

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by Animaaal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:40 am

    Hmmm...in the long run you will not see much optomization in your MSGS with 20 dex.

    With those stats a quality build looks like what will benefit you most.

    Weapons you'd like with those stats:

    -Dragon and Gough's Great Bows.

    -+15 Claymore

    -+15 Broadsword

    -+5 Demon's Spear

    You have a good setup if you wanna buff. Using Pine resins would be good on those with the exception of the DS. With those stats, I'm not sure if I'd recommend gearing up for faith or intelligence buffing however.
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by WyrmHero on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 am

    Actually a GLGS would be good with 27/20.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2290
    Reputation : 120
    Join date : 2012-05-27

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by Ghadis_God on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:37 am

    butternut86 wrote:
    Ghadis_God wrote:Depends on your stats. If you have high dex, use the Painting sword, high Str use the Manserpent, high both use the Clay. Quelaag's scales with dex and humanity.

    My bad..

    Here are my stats I'm a lvl 70 character right now

    Vitality 27
    Attunment 12
    Endurance 28
    Strength 27
    Dexterity 20
    Resistance 11
    Intelligence 11
    Faith 16


    Right now I'm pretty much all melee. I have magic, but my intelligence is so low, that i rarely use magic. I mainly fill my attunement slots with Heal miracles.

    So with those stats what would you do?
    Keep Str at 27, level up Dex to 40. Keep End where it is, put more levels into Vit. If you don't want to level up Dex, use a Str weapon and two hand it because you wasted your dex, you can't really do anything with 20 Dex. It won't give Dex weapons viable power and really isn't needed as a stat requirement for most things. It's a good setup for the Zwei or other weapons that have C-Str, D-Dex scaling. A zwei +15 and two handed with those stats will have more than 550 AR. The Gravelord Sword will be respectable too.


    _________________
    7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

    PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS
    avatar
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4307
    Reputation : 62
    Join date : 2012-04-12
    Age : 23
    Location : Carim in the Pacific Northwest

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by JoeBroski09 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:54 am

    I recommend the Halberd, actually. Has pretty good scaling with Str/Dex and high base damage.

    Actually, if you have the Black Knight Halberd, get that upgraded RIGHT NOW. It's not too difficult once you kill a bunch of crystal lizards, and it does massive damage with the stats you have right now.

    But if not, Zwei, Halberd, Clay, but don't make anything elemental. That's only if you're going for a Vit/End gauge build.


    _________________
    big grin Hugs and smiles big grin


    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1721
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-07-30

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by IV_Mark_VI on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:19 am

    Queelag's scales, but only its physical damage scales and it's laughable. So its best with minimum stats and 10 humanity, in my opinion. According to Mugen, it goes from 103 physical damage at 13 dex to 160 damage at 40 dex; neither of those will gain you an appreciable difference. The damage it does is fire, and scales with humanity.

    Is this for PvE or PvP? I'm assuming PvE, so what kinds of weapons do you enjoy using? That's the only important factor. Anything works in PvE. For PvP... well, you need a pretty good build to be competitive.


    _________________
    XBox Gamertag: VI Mark IV
    PSN: VI_Mark_IV

    butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 102
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-02-06

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by butternut86 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 am

    IV_Mark_VI wrote:Queelag's scales, but only its physical damage scales and it's laughable. So its best with minimum stats and 10 humanity, in my opinion. According to Mugen, it goes from 103 physical damage at 13 dex to 160 damage at 40 dex; neither of those will gain you an appreciable difference. The damage it does is fire, and scales with humanity.

    Is this for PvE or PvP? I'm assuming PvE, so what kinds of weapons do you enjoy using? That's the only important factor. Anything works in PvE. For PvP... well, you need a pretty good build to be competitive.

    Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

    I was going for PVE. I really want to do PVP, but I struggle with it. I lose 90% of the time, and I get backstabbed a lot. Sometimes its a legit backstab, more often its a lagstab. So its tough to counter that because once second they're in front of me and they glitch behind me and backstab. I never see the animation of them actually walking behind my character to stab, they just appear there. lol

    I'm assuming bleed weapons are really useful for PVP, so I'm going to try to get Prisilla's tail in the painted world.

    What would you recommend for PVP? Could I mold this character to be PVP, or is it too late now?

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by Animaaal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 pm

    butternut86 wrote:...Could I mold this character to be PVP, or is it too late now?...

    No way bud. If you're new to pvp though, I'd prolly just level this chacter all the way to the moon and consider it a trash build. That way you can test all the weapons you want and figure out what your favorties are.

    After that, you can plan a build before you even start the character so all of your stat allocations are optimized.

    You're in good shape to use this build though, it's not lost with the right guidance. You just have to figure out how to use that faith outside of healing.

    I know you were talking to Mark, sorry for cutting him off.

    butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 102
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-02-06

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by butternut86 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm

    Animaaal wrote:
    butternut86 wrote:...Could I mold this character to be PVP, or is it too late now?...

    No way bud. If you're new to pvp though, I'd prolly just level this chacter all the way to the moon and consider it a trash build. That way you can test all the weapons you want and figure out what your favorties are.

    After that, you can plan a build before you even start the character so all of your stat allocations are optimized.

    You're in good shape to use this build though, it's not lost with the right guidance. You just have to figure out how to use that faith outside of healing.

    I know you were talking to Mark, sorry for cutting him off.

    Thanks man. I'll try to experiment. I joined the Sunbro Covenant, and I got a lightning spear. Other than that, I have Force, Heal, Great Healing, and Lightning spear. So I don't have great Faith Spells right now.

    You mentioned that with the right guidance, this build isn't lost. If you don't mind, could you tell me what direction you would take with my current build?

    Also, I have a Claymore +10, but I'm not sure if I should bring to +15 or make it Chaos. I know +15 with magic Buffs will do great damage, but my intelligence is low, so I'm thinking it would take a while for those buffs to be useful. What kind of Damage would a Claymore Chaos +5 give me with my stats? I figure I could always descend the weapon in NG+ and then ascend it to +15 when I have the right stats.
    avatar
    wahwah
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 78
    Reputation : 13
    Join date : 2013-01-11

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by wahwah on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 pm

    it can still be viable in pvp, this set up is not so bad i think, u can swap the mura for a katana tho, and the dark silver tracer is nice for crit hits. or u can raise the faith to 30 instead of the int, and join darkmoon covenant and get darkmoon blade and sunlight blade.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=220841013622181135

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by Animaaal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 pm

    butternut86 wrote:...You mentioned that with the right guidance, this build isn't lost. If you don't mind, could you tell me what direction you would take with my current build?...

    Sure bud, gimme a few minutes.

    butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 102
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-02-06

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by butternut86 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

    wahwah wrote:it can still be viable in pvp, this set up is not so bad i think, u can swap the mura for a katana tho, and the dark silver tracer is nice for crit hits. or u can raise the faith to 30 instead of the int, and join darkmoon covenant and get darkmoon blade and sunlight blade.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=220841013622181135

    Thanks man! That's a very interesting build. I think I might put levels in Faith now. My last playthrough I put it in intelligence, but now I'd like to try faith.

    For the Mura, should I upgrade that weapon? I never used it before

    butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 102
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-02-06

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by butternut86 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

    Animaaal wrote:
    butternut86 wrote:...You mentioned that with the right guidance, this build isn't lost. If you don't mind, could you tell me what direction you would take with my current build?...

    Sure bud, gimme a few minutes.

    Thanks dude, I appreciate it. happy
    avatar
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 10236
    Reputation : 410
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Location : Ralph Wilson Stadium

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by skarekrow13 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:41 pm

    Another option for "builds" if this is your first run at things is to take it way way up and use it as a forest hunter. There's no level limits as a Cat Bro so you can still PvP (although it's a free for all) and use it to experiment like Animaaal said.


    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by Animaaal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:22 pm

    https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=167724778117289821
    This is how I’d use your build at the current soul level.

    https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=162943203260189357
    This is how I’d use your build at soul level 100.

    https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=156844425841368854
    This is how I’d use your build at soul level 120.

    Things to consider with these builds:

    -Personally I love using a bow with TWoP. I have a lot of fun with it myself.

    -You’ll want to get use to menu swapping your shields. Eagle Shield is good for physical and lightning, Black Knights is good for physical and fire, Crest is good for physical and magic. With this endurance set up, you’ll be able to equip all 3 without affecting the ability to fast roll.

    -I put the dexterity where it is in order to be able to equip effectively use a bandits knife if you don’t want to use the bow.

    -Buff with pine resins. While making a Chaos weapon seems similar in attack rating, you have to keep in mind it’s a split ar. Meaning you’ll lose damage because of a lower physical attack rating. By using a pine resin, you’ll maximize the physical AR and buff with lightning, which in most cases, will benefit you the most because most armors have low lightning defenses. You must buff in order to see the effects however.

    -The Gravelord miracle is a good way to punish amateur backstab fishers. Having TWoP active is a problem for people that ONLY bs fish. They are usually too aggressive to slowly walk away while TWoP is active and will be punished severely for their efforts.

    -TWoP is kind of a hit a miss spell. Experienced players will either avoid you, or know how to play while they are hindered. Use caution while it is active. Its very useful for a bow user though because it creates space in most cases allowing you to build up poison.

    -You’ll have 53 poise which is almost essential when starting out with a Claymore.


    I was a little hasty in posting this, there might be a couple problems with a few numbers. I'll review them in the meantime and post any corrections I might have...or someone will beat me to it lol.

    Otherwise if you dont hear from me...enjoy!

    ***EDIT***
    The "current soul level build" puts 2 points into faith for TWoP. I'll edit if I find anything else.
    ***EDIT***
    These builds also have 10 humanity as I was comparing damage ratings, keep that in mind as you compare armor defense ratings.
    ***EDIT***
    Changed wording regarding using a bandits knife.
    ***EDIT***
    spacing/structure
    ***EDIT***
    Bear in mind these builds were made while trying to use the existing 16 faith and considering the Claymore is your weapon of choice.
    ***EDIT***
    You'll have 53 poise in the last 2 builds, not the first.

    butternut86
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 102
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-02-06

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by butternut86 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 pm

    Animaaal wrote:.

    @ Animaal.

    Wow. Thanks a lot man. That's going to be extremely helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

    I never tried Tranquil walk of Peace, but it sounds really interesting, so I'm going to give it a shot. I have the Dragon LongBow, hopefully that will be good with TWOP. This game is so complicated compared to Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls I could buy most of my spells and miracles in the nexus, Dark Souls we have to join a bunch of different covenants. There's definitely a lot I need to learn, but your post is going to be very helpful.

    Thanks again.

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by Animaaal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 pm

    butternut86 wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:.

    @ Animaal.

    Wow. Thanks a lot man. That's going to be extremely helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

    I never tried Tranquil walk of Peace, but it sounds really interesting, so I'm going to give it a shot. I have the Dragon LongBow, hopefully that will be good with TWOP. This game is so complicated compared to Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls I could buy most of my spells and miracles in the nexus, Dark Souls we have to join a bunch of different covenants. There's definitely a lot I need to learn, but your post is going to be very helpful.

    Thanks again.

    Bow

    Keep in mind those builds are designed around my personal playstyle and do not reflect your options as a whole. You could still go a couple different ways.

    Good luck bud.
    avatar
    wahwah
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 78
    Reputation : 13
    Join date : 2013-01-11

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by wahwah on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 pm

    upgrade the sword u wanna buff to +15 happy

    Sponsored content

    Re: Suggestions for weapons in Dark Souls?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:55 am