Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
skarekrow13
Emergence
Animaaal
8 posters

What is Proper Posting Etiquette?

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

What is Proper Posting Etiquette? Empty What is Proper Posting Etiquette?

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm curious to hear from regulars/semi-regulars in this particular forum. Not necessarily etiquette in general concerning forums everywhere, but from what the people here feel is important.

For instance:

-Repostings.
    I've been under the impression, that maybe I've posted and reposted a couple times too many. I'm not talking about 2 or 3 posts in a row (I avoid that as much as I can), but say out of 20 posts 5 or 6 of them are mine.

So I'll start thinking to myself, "Slow down a little Animaal", then I go to a thread where a regular has 8 or 9 out of 20 posts. Is this okay as long as its relevent and not disrespectful to the other posters? Is this encouraged even? Or is it frowned upon because sometimes another poster's posts might get overlooked?

-Editing your posts.
    Sometimes I've either stated, or assumed one thing or another only to be disproven. I've almost always went back and edited my post to relflect a correction and/or a misconception. I dont just hastely post, but fact is, sometimes people other than yourself simply have a better idea.

Is it okay to edit this way? If so, would it be best to post something reflecting the change, or is it best to edit and leave it alone as to not disrupt the flow of the thread?

-How long winded can you be?
    I've noticed some people reallllllllly love to talk. Like me. I personally love a long read and a detailed point of view. But where would you guys say the line is drawn?
    For instance there is a thread "Dark Souls Without Backstabs". I enjoyed that thread so much that I went and got a six pack a couple nights just so I could read and write in that thread. I thought the conversation was one of the most diverse I've ever had regarding backstabs, and it was all discussed without anyone saying, "LIVE WITH IT YOU NOOB, etcetcetc". Some of my posts had 4 or 5 quotes. Is it better to directly sight your answers? Or would it be better to address one quote at a time?

-Response times.
    There are a couple threads I have that I have been mulling over and trying to decide what I really believe based on the particular subject at hand. I'm not sure of how I want to go about the problem I addressed in the thread. So is it then, considered to be rude because I haven't got on and said, "Sorry guys, I'm perplexed."

If you want to direct your answers at me personally that's fine. I'm not easily offended. As a matter of fact if you can sight a specific instance regarding one of my posts inparticular, I would encourage it in order to give an example to someone more bashful wondering the same question.

I am not however, asking someone to critique me personally. Just basic feelings and attitudes regarding these things from people in this particular forum.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

What is Proper Posting Etiquette? Empty Re: What is Proper Posting Etiquette?

Post by Emergence Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Just be yourself. We don't have a scroll of punitive rules to enforce conformity. Every thread has it's own life and feel, as long as you are following forum guidelines things stay smooth. As a team, if we see someone derailing a bit much, or spamming caps and such we step in on a case by case basis by merit of the overall feel of that specific thread. I prefer that this forum really give people an opportunity to have their unique voice expressed and be recognized for who they are.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:49 pm

And as a side note, as a newer member to this specific community, you are doing just fine in flowing with the cadence, so no worries!
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks man! Joy

I have noticed the involvement from the mods in this forum to be far above the average when considering other forums. Anyone with any posting experience can see that quite clearly, so good job man...damn good job. I have enjoyed my stay and have been very impressed.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Thank you for the kind words. This site came about through great fellowship and we'd hoped it persist into the community by weaving that spirit into everything.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:48 pm

My pleasure. Bow

Emergence wrote:...This site came about through great fellowship and we'd hoped it persist into the community by weaving that spirit into everything....

Going in the quotes of the day.

/thread.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:43 pm

You're good. Only warning (trust me I know this one) is that long winded often means "skimmed by others"

Happens to me a lot big grin

But honestly I think you've been a great addition
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:21 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:You're good. Only warning (trust me I know this one) is that long winded often means "skimmed by others"

Happens to me a lot big grin

But honestly I think you've been a great addition

LOL ya, my wife "skims" me all the time.

Thanks for the compliment man, I really appreciate it. Bow

WAIT :shock: wherever WhatDoesThePendantDo? is, no dude :evil: , you must resist.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm here, I'm just out of town today.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Holy cow :affraid:

You real life resistance stat must be 99.

I couldn't have kept my mouth :silent:

Screw it...she skims me...giggady.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:40 pm

As long as there's no wall of text or CAPS then no one will mind the long winded nature of posts.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:24 pm

I also enjoy your posts .
    I can easylie follow your logic and share it most of the time ^^ .

Well What is it
    Hug ?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Onion Knight wrote:As long as there's no wall of text or CAPS then no one will mind the long winded nature of posts.

That’s reassuring. I have wondered sometimes though if I say, post a wall of text, that someone elses comment might go unnoticed. Ya know the whole, “Screw this wall of text…skims…accidently skips over hilarious 1 line joke” kinda thing. I try to read the whole (or at least most of) thread most times, but I know lots of people don’t. Its really just a courtesy thing I guess.

Marino. wrote:I also enjoy your posts .
    I can easylie follow your logic and share it most of the time ^^ .

Well What is it
    Hug ?
    Boy would I!!!! I mean…manly fist bump hug thingy…..eh em…..

No seriously, thanks for the kind words bud. At least I know the hours I’ve spent editing are paying off lol.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 am

Sometimes I wonder if it is appropriate to derail a thread or not. I think it is generally unappreciated but when you are talking to friends IRL a conversation can start somewhere and end up anywhere. My favorite threads are the ones that end up completely off topic.

Just a thought.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:58 am

Oh, and never post with your elbows on the table.

Also, don't post with a mouthful of food, that's rude.

Wash your hands before you post, and never make potty-talk while posting.

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 am

Don't forget where the salad fork is when you post
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:04 am

And in the off topic section, it is considered a compliment to the thread maker to belch loudly if the thread was to your liking. Do not, however, try this in the DKS General Discussion thread.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 am

Turn your cell phone off when others are posting. Vibrate is acceptable if you're expecting an important call and you've obtained prior permission from the person posting.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Haha, and definitely never pull out your cellphone while somebody is in the middle of a post, how disrespectful.

You should also pay heed to the volume of the posting environment, especially us Americans. WE TEND TO FORGET TO USE OUR INSIDE POSTING VOICES, AND TO PEOPLE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES IT CAN SEEM PRETTY OBNOXIOUS.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Too true, too true.

Never go for a goodnight kiss until your third post with someone. You don't want to come across as cheap
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Here's a little known fact:

Upon authoring a thread about forum etiquette, you apparently gain immunity from most, if not all, basic rules and guidelines, but at the cost of your humanity.

It also induces at state of "cyber utopia" very similar, imo, to an out of body experience.

I've tried to differentiate between reality and the euphoria, but discerning the two is near immpossible. I urge extreme caution to anyone. I recommend tying a rope around your waist, making a recorded statement every 2 hours, and possibly writing a "this is what happened" letter to your loved ones.

This effect apparently lasts in excess of 12 hours, and anyone experiencing this should not be held accountable for their actions.

I am unsure if it's reversable, so I just like to say, if I have indeed gone hollow, and this is the last of Animaal...its been real, it was worth it, and I will not forget.

God's speed my friends...God's speed.

ps-God I broke all those rules too guys...what is happening to me??? I cant handle this kind of power. :bas:
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:28 pm

:face: :face: :?: :!: :face: :face:
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote: :face: :face: :?: :!: :face: :face:

Woah, I just realized the location your mind goes to in this inebriated state...is in.....BIG TIME MASTER's avatar description!

This forum is so advanced.

:pharis: s off to you guys.

You really got a complex operation going here.

So what happens after initiation?...dare I ask... :shock:
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Yes, come drink the kool-aid, do not be afraid.
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Oh God...
    What is Proper Posting Etiquette? Abandon-Thread

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 pm