Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Origins of Sorcery?

SpecialNewb
    SpecialNewb
    Addicted
    Addicted

Origins of Sorcery? Empty Origins of Sorcery?

Post by SpecialNewb Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:00 am

While using my pure mage recently I started to wonder: What's the source or Sorcery?

Note: For the purpose of discussion I am ignoring the Abyss magic. I'm going to assume it's powered by the Abyss/Dark Soul which we have no hint is the origin of the rest of the sorceries.

Sorcery is related to Seath--Logan learns more powerful sorceries from Seath--but he is NOT its origin. He is referred to as the "grandfather" of sorcery not the "father." Sorcery also persists just fine after you kill him. The effects are varied, from the soul arrow types to the Griggs molecule sorceries, to the Oolacile light casting to the medical sorceries (Resist Curse, Remedy, Repair) to the oddly out of place shielding types.

In Demon's Souls, sorceries were just soul arts whether powered by regular soul power from the Old One, or from specific demonic souls. But there's no hint of that here.

Any ideas?
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Origins of Sorcery? Empty Re: Origins of Sorcery?

Post by alchemydesign Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:33 am

Sorceries are powered by the soul, you can look at all the names of the spells such as Soul Spear, and Soul Arrow. It's the same with miracles and pyromancies. The only difference is the nature of the soul and the method of channeling. The description of Homing Soulmass states: Life originates in the soul, no wonder the the soulmass draws toward it....If the soulmass is drawn toward the target we can assume that it is merely seeking to reunite with that which made it only it has been weaponized and unable to be assimilate back into the soul.

Also, we can look to Quelana for more information, when speaking of her mother she says "My mother, The Witch of Izalith, was one of the primeval Lords, her power came from the soul that she found near the First Flame..." This tells us that the soul is the source of magical ability, buuuut there's more..."...she focused this power to light a flame of her own..." and there we have the method...she focused it, also interesting to note that before she created the Bed of Chaos the witches magics were sorceries as they were focused through a catalyst, but after failing to create a new flame, it's my opinion that the body became the catalyst which is why Laurentius says that a pyromancer should be one with his environment, it would allow the caster to be more focused on himself as a catalyst.

Miracles are different in that the focus and intent is totally different from the other two. But still, it requires a material focus in the form of a Talisman. They are more defensive in nature because of the intents of the creators and the beliefs of the casters...if you are trying to be pious and become one with your gods, living peaceful (ish) lives with very little desire to cause harm the casting soul would produce a more benign magic,
    SpecialNewb
    SpecialNewb
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SpecialNewb Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:36 pm

alchemydesign wrote:Sorceries are powered by the soul, you can look at all the names of the spells such as Soul Spear, and Soul Arrow. It's the same with miracles and pyromancies. The only difference is the nature of the soul and the method of channeling. The description of Homing Soulmass states: Life originates in the soul, no wonder the the soulmass draws toward it....If the soulmass is drawn toward the target we can assume that it is merely seeking to reunite with that which made it only it has been weaponized and unable to be assimilate back into the soul.

Also, we can look to Quelana for more information, when speaking of her mother she says "My mother, The Witch of Izalith, was one of the primeval Lords, her power came from the soul that she found near the First Flame..." This tells us that the soul is the source of magical ability, buuuut there's more..."...she focused this power to light a flame of her own..." and there we have the method...she focused it, also interesting to note that before she created the Bed of Chaos the witches magics were sorceries as they were focused through a catalyst, but after failing to create a new flame, it's my opinion that the body became the catalyst which is why Laurentius says that a pyromancer should be one with his environment, it would allow the caster to be more focused on himself as a catalyst.

Miracles are different in that the focus and intent is totally different from the other two. But still, it requires a material focus in the form of a Talisman. They are more defensive in nature because of the intents of the creators and the beliefs of the casters...if you are trying to be pious and become one with your gods, living peaceful (ish) lives with very little desire to cause harm the casting soul would produce a more benign magic,
    Hmm, you're probably right.

Now I feel silly for typing a huge wall of text. Thanks.
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Don't, please keep wondering, it's these questions that make people want to question this incredibly deep game. happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am