Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Garl_Vinland
KingSeekerCow
steveswede
densetsushun
CappuccinoJak
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
PlasticandRage
BIG TIME MASTER
BLA1NE
RANT
Wade_Wilson
Elite Knight
Mr. Tart
17 posters

Dead Space 3

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Dead Space 3 - Page 4 Empty Re: Dead Space 3

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Define it

For me gameplay is what's most important also, and IMO that's a really hard thing to know anything about without having experienced the game myself. All the other stuff is fluff in comparison. The stuff that I feel you can realistically experience without having played it yourself.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't mean to be a party crasher, but perhaps you should discuss this just between the two of you?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 pm

You brought it up Tart

If enemies attack you out in space, and you take off and leave them, they freeze solid after a short time. I love it.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:31 am

PlasticandRage wrote:Let me ask you this, and anybody else who wants to answer for that matter, what in your opinion, is the most important aspect of a video game? What element is absolutely essential for that game to be good in your mind? Is it visuals? controls? gameplay? sound? narrative? subject matter? etc.

Several things are important, I know, but what's the absolute most important, if it's not there, it's not good, thing?
    For me, it has to be immersion. The more I game, the more I think of videogames as complete packages, but the single most important game maker/deal breaker is immersion, the ability to keep me glued to the controller and sitting still for long.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:36 am

I think so far in my playthrough, which is around 20% completion, the only thing I'm really not liking, is that the new weapon system pretty much makes the plasma cutter obsolete. I love the plasma cutter. In DS1 and 2 it never left my inventory for a second. It was my workhorse, along with the force gun, and because you can use 4 big weapons at once, some of which are pretty easy on ammo, like the military shotguns and fully auto machine guns, it just doesn't make sense to throw the plasma cutter in there, and be stuck with something kinda crappy as an underbarrel weapon. Right now the combo I'm using is the evangelist, which is a carbine and underbarrel shotgun, and the negotiator line gun with an underbarrel javelin machine gun. It just wouldn't make sense to sub any of those things out for a plasma cutter, when I have precision fire with my carbine, and a wider slice with my line gun. I haven't gotten ripper parts yet either though, and that's another one of my favorites.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:11 am

I almost exclusively used the ripper in DSI and DSII. It is the most ammo efficient weapon and tactically versatile too.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Yup. I'm not sure how it's going to be in DS3 yet. You can make either a one-handed pistol type version, or a normal 2h version. They nerfed the Force Gun a lot, and the Line Gun slightly, so hopefully they haven't messed with the Ripper.
    Garl_Vinland
    Garl_Vinland
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Garl_Vinland Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:07 pm

I just finished this yesterday and I really liked it. That is all.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm on my third playthrough right now. I started of with Normal co-op, then went to New Game+ Hard co-op and i'm currently on my third run, Classic(Hard Solo with Classic Weapons only).
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:08 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:I think so far in my playthrough, which is around 20% completion, the only thing I'm really not liking, is that the new weapon system pretty much makes the plasma cutter obsolete. I love the plasma cutter. In DS1 and 2 it never left my inventory for a second. It was my workhorse, along with the force gun, and because you can use 4 big weapons at once, some of which are pretty easy on ammo, like the military shotguns and fully auto machine guns, it just doesn't make sense to throw the plasma cutter in there, and be stuck with something kinda crappy as an underbarrel weapon. Right now the combo I'm using is the evangelist, which is a carbine and underbarrel shotgun, and the negotiator line gun with an underbarrel javelin machine gun. It just wouldn't make sense to sub any of those things out for a plasma cutter, when I have precision fire with my carbine, and a wider slice with my line gun. I haven't gotten ripper parts yet either though, and that's another one of my favorites.

Plastic, the Plasma Cutter really isn't bad in the game. I've finished it off and have access to some of the better Circuits now. When fully upgraded it makes for one of my strongest weapons. It's fast, precise and strong in general. You don't even need any attachments to make it strong, although with the acid attachments it has proven to be even stronger. Don't give up on the Plasma Cutter.

In fact, i'm using the Plasma Cutter and a Force Gun in my Classic run right now, and it's kicking *** while not even upgraded.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:00 pm

It's not bad at all, but I'm doing a lot more damage with the carbine and line gun, and even if I weren't, both the under barrel attachments I'm using are large weapons, so If I swapped out something for it I'd have to use something else small. The last thing I did last night before I turned it off was make a revolver though, and I'm trying to think of something to attach to make it a usable weapon. At the moment I've got a melee attachment on it, but I'd prefer to not let things get that close anyway. I'm thinking either the EG-900 SMG or the Planet Cracker. It sucks not being able spin the plasma cutter though. It'd be silly to not have another weapon there instead. With the line gun too. I'd love to be able to use that part with it, but I can't justify ditching a gun for it.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:22 pm

I can't for the love of god force myself to swap the Rotator Cuff Module for anything else. I just love being able to spin the Plasma Cutter to much to do that.

Speaking of the Plasma Cutter, i really suggest that once you've finished the campaign, you start a Classic run using the Engineer Suit, Plasma Cutter and any other gun like the Contact Beam. It suddenly becomes such a nostalgic experience. Really, you should try it.

As far as the revolver goes, what did you use for that? The Telemetry Spike?

Edit: I just tried something out; I got both a maxed out Line Gun, a maxed out Plasma Cutter and a none upgraded Line Gun and Plasma Cutter. I tried out all four in the Weapon Crafting Arena to see all of their uses. The results were quite obvious, but i felt the need to try them none the less. The Line Gun offers wider range and more damage, of course, however, the Plasma Cutter offers a faster reload, faster rate of fire as well as decent damage. It's also easier to hit moving targets with it as the projectile is much faster than that of the Line Gun. The Line Gun is more of a crowd control kind of weapon, while the Plasma Cutter is more of a weapon for people with precision and accuracy. You don't really need any other lower tool than the one the original Plasma Cutter already has, as being able to spin is easier when you're trying to decapitate enemies as well as reserving quite a lot more ammo.

So basically, as you already know, the damage is not everything. Just wanted to share that. tongue

Edit2: I actually didn't know there was the Compact Directed Ejection Filed for one handed guns available. My god have i missed out on some things. Look Skyward
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:14 am

Well yeah, of course the line gun is for crowd control. I'll be more specific. The reason to use the plasma cutter is to have a fast, accurate, low ammo cost, long range, wide-cutting weapon, to use to be able to lop off limbs with precision, right? But with a combo of the line gun and carbine, I have a gun that lops off a bunch of enemies limbs at once, with a wide cut, at a decent range, and with power, and I've got the carbine for a weapon that's very accurate at long range, has low ammo cost, is very precise, just as fast as the plasma cutter, and does more damage. With the combo of those two weapons as one gun I basically have one weapon that's better at everything the plasma cutter does.

I've never really liked the contact beam. The charge always made me uncomfortable because of how fast enemies come up on you in DS. My setup in the first two was usually something like plasma cutter, force gun, line gun, and either the pulse rifle or ripper. Then I added the mine launcher, I can't remember what it was actually called, in DS2. I loved that thing. Setting mines in front of vents was such a tension reliever.

Around what chapter do you start getting new suits? I still just have the first space suit you get. Well that and the 2 pre-order suits I got, but I don't really like either of them visually
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:25 am

I believe you get your first one around 5-7 or something along those lines, possibly earlier. You will then unlock one or two near the last few chapters i believe. Once you've completed the game, you get the Engineer suit, which everyone loves, right? RIGHT? RIGHT?

Edit: I've been going nuts about two ''Secret Achievements''.

Note: Possible spoilers below.

Spoiler:
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:19 am

I'm not reading it if it's a spoiler. I think I'm at the end of chapter 5. I just ran into my first regenerating necro. The one in the Tera Nova's cargo hold. I'll be done soon enough, and then will be able to talk about spoiler things.

And yes, I love the Engineer Suit. The fully armored one is one of my favorites. I really liked the Retro Suit, and the Soldier Suit from the first one too
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:30 am

You should be able to read the spoilers after you've done chapter 8 or 9 if i'm not mistaken(if you're even interesting in knowing, that is).

I really hate the regenerating necromorphs in this game. Try fighting them on hard. 2 hits and you're a goner.

Edit: I wasn't a very big fan of the suits in Dead Space(except for the engineer suit of course). I kinda prefer what became of them in Dead Space 2, especially the Advanced suit... my god do i want it in Dead Space 3. :x
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:39 am

I think the only ones I saw in the first one were the Engineer Suit and the solider one. Yeah, I liked that system too, where you worked your way up in inventory slots and armor, and each one had a special ability. Seems like they took a step backwards in 3 in that regard.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:48 am

So it seems. I would've loved to see the spoiler alert(not necessarily a spoiler of the story, but it does kinda point something out about the gameplay, that you may or may not want to find out about. If you've read about the game before you got it or played the demo, or even both, you should be fine)
    Spoiler:
    Or perhaps the engineer suit would benefit from using all classical weapons on the condition that they do not have any attachments or any other tool than the classical weapons had before Dead Space 3.

Either way i want my Advanced Suit so badly. sad

PlasticandRage wrote:I think the only ones I saw in the first one were the Engineer Suit and the solider one. Yeah, I liked that system too, where you worked your way up in inventory slots and armor, and each one had a special ability. Seems like they took a step backwards in 3 in that regard.

Yeah, i had to check the DS wikia to refresh my memory, and apparently there are only 3 suits(not including the upgrades and DLCs). The soldier, the engineer and the miner rig.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:14 am

I'm not sure I ever even saw the Miner Rig. Read your spoiler, yeah I was aware that there was a suit called the Arctic Survival Suit, and it makes sense that that's what it'd do. I haven't really looked into suits at all, although I have been breaking my one rule about using the internet for a first playthrough in order to look up what different weapon parts do, so I can figure out what I want to spend my tungsten on before I do it

What was really nice about the DS2's suit system, was that the suits upgraded their armor and inventory once you got a better one, so that you could actually choose between them based on their special abilities. It wasn't just that the latest suit you got was the best one no matter what. They made it based on special ability taste, which was really nice. I actually used the Security Suit throughout most of that game, because they made the Pulse Rifle so much better, and that suit increased Pulse Rifle damage by 25% I think. The PR's alternate fire in DS1 was absolute garbage. Totally unusable. It was a beast in DS2 though.

I'm just getting into using scavenger bots now too, and I have to say that I really like the addition. It keeps you on your toes, and gives you something extra to be paying attention to, having to check each room with the radar, and sometimes deploy it in the heat of battle. I just got a bonus deployment in chapter 5, because there was a radar ping spot in one of the rooms you have to run through while you're being chased by the regenerator. Got enough tungsten to make a gun tip I've been waiting to make for a whole chapter
    Kyliax
    Kyliax

Post by Kyliax Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 am

I'm very close to finishing the game (solo campaign, normal difficulty), only need to make it through the last fallen pieces leading to, what I assume, the final boss.

So far I'm really loving the game. Yeah, there's universal ammo, and it does get quite action-oriented with the human enemies, but I don't mind them enough to be bothered by it. The only thing I wish there was more of, are the Zero-G areas.

I notice that it hasn't frightened me as often as DS1 and 2 did, but when it scares me, it scares me really well xD This, again, doesn't bother me, because I'm quite the scaredy cat when it comes to horror (I picked up DS specifically to help me with that, and I fell in love with the story).

Now that I'm close to finishing it, I'd love for my next playthrough to be with a co-op buddy, just to explore more of the story and try for some trophies.

All-in-all, 60 euro's not badly spent big grin
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Kyliax wrote:I'm very close to finishing the game (solo campaign, normal difficulty), only need to make it through the last fallen pieces leading to, what I assume, the final boss.

So far I'm really loving the game. Yeah, there's universal ammo, and it does get quite action-oriented with the human enemies, but I don't mind them enough to be bothered by it. The only thing I wish there was more of, are the Zero-G areas.

I notice that it hasn't frightened me as often as DS1 and 2 did, but when it scares me, it scares me really well xD This, again, doesn't bother me, because I'm quite the scaredy cat when it comes to horror (I picked up DS specifically to help me with that, and I fell in love with the story).

Now that I'm close to finishing it, I'd love for my next playthrough to be with a co-op buddy, just to explore more of the story and try for some trophies.

All-in-all, 60 euro's not badly spent big grin

Are you on the xbox? :shock:

Edit: Something i feel like they could've done to improve the co-op, is split the players up more. Say John and Isaac fall down a mountain or something and end up falling down to an area where there's a dead giant necromorph blocking their way or a pipe or something, forcing them to make their way back to eachother. I'm not complaining at all, but i feel like this could add some horror to the co-op gameplay.

Edit2: By the way! You guys remember in Dead Space, the secret message you got by taking the first letter of each mission? Do that in Dead Space 3 and you'll get yourself a secret message. winking
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:57 pm

I got bored enough to buy this game today. Glad I did.

Anyone want to co-op on PS3? I live in Rome time zone (+1 hours I think), so for you eastern stateside folks your night is my morning, and that's usually when I play anyways. If you want to send me a PM so we can exchange PSN ID's. Also, do you need a special mic for the PS3?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 pm

I plan on finishing up my solo campaign before I start to co-op, but if you're still up for it once that happens, I'm in BTM. It's good right? Same old Dead Space, but with an awesome new weapon system. Now that I'm in a place where I'm massing a decent inventory of weapon parts, I'm having a blast creating new guns.

I really love the gigantic open zero-g areas too. All kinds of secrets to find in those places. Just make sure you check all the big chunks thoroughly
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:03 pm

It is the same old Dead Space, but with a lot of small improvements and some cool new systems. I just got to the first bench, got a feel for the upgrade system, but now have to head to sleep. I can see that the upgrade system and amount of unlockable suits is going to add a lot of replay value. Likewise, I am going to finish solo on hard mode first before I co-op.

So far it is more action oriented, but now that I am in this ship things are slowing down and getting creepy. I felt like such a newb just a minute ago, I was tip toeing around when I heard a gross noise, I started looking around frantically, thinking it was behind me, when suddenly I saw something directly above me squirming around. I was right beneath one of the cocoon necromorphs and it dropped on me! Needless to say, I was mad at the game and in love with it for getting me so good at the same time. I hate Dead Space games, but that's why I respect them so much. I think, for me, going co-op will help me enjoy it a lot more rather than suffering through it for the stories sake.

Last edited by BIG TIME MASTER on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Also, I am glad that Isaac is finally getting a backbone and using his experience to run the show.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm