Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Garl_Vinland
KingSeekerCow
steveswede
densetsushun
CappuccinoJak
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
PlasticandRage
BIG TIME MASTER
BLA1NE
RANT
Wade_Wilson
Elite Knight
Mr. Tart
17 posters

Dead Space 3

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Dead Space 3 - Page 9 Empty Re: Dead Space 3

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Yeah, sorry I don't want to spoil anything. I didn't type anything specific though.

I know Isaac was silent in the original, but the other characters dialogue was well written. I remember that they came off as intelligent and believable, and they didn't just fit into your usual cliches. The woman who was in charge and then the black guy who I think was the pilot or in charge of the ship or something both kind of had different ideas about what to do, but neither was clearly good or bad. They were both intelligent but butted heads, and there was no reason not to like either.

In Dead Space 3 though, I have a moronic captain, a heroic girl with huge tits in a tank top, a ruthless soldier who only knows how to be mean, and Isaac whose character flops so much that I don't know who the hell he is.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:32 pm

And again, I don't really want to hate on Dead Space 3, because it is a very good game, it just suffers from the same story trend that a lot of games/movies do that I don't like.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Dead Space 1 spoilers ahead:

No, thus far I see what you're saying. I can't remember their names either, so forgive the cliches, but the black guy was captain of the repair ship and head of the security force, and the woman posed as a scientist but ended up being a member of an organization that's sort of like the space CIA I think. You're right too. I remember how upset I was when the black dude got killed trying to save you, and then how shocked I was when the woman ended up turning on you. I can't say I've been invested enough in the third one's characters to really care about their fates much either way, although after the shuttle crash I definitely was anxious about finding who had lived and who'd died.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:20 pm

I think the difference lies in the fact that the antagonists shift during the three games. In Dead Space 1, you had no knowledge on the story and as far as you knew, there were no antagonists, or at least it would be limited to Necromorphs or that Earthgov chick. 2 had a clear antagonist or antagonistic group, Earthgov was messing with things they shouldn't and Unitologists were trying to screw with everyone to get their convergence. 3 focuses on the Unitologists and the Markers on Tau Volantis. The difference between 1 and 2/3's antagonists make the protagonist and his group change their dynamic.

Big time master, you should play 2 to get a feel for what I feel Ellie's character should've been, unfortunately she did end up turning into your average object of affection/obsession, or maiden in distress character.

As for Carver's character, I haven't played co-op yet(or rather, haven't played 3 yet but watched my girlfriend play it), I think his story is expanded on greatly if you play co-op as Carver. It's supposed to dig deeper and explain who Carver is other than battle hardened soldier guy.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Wait, did you not play DS2 BTM?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:39 am

I just experienced my first real game breaking bug. There's an elevator inside the Supply Depot optional mission, and every time I try to take it down It'll be normal for a few seconds, and then suddenly Isaac will act as though he's falling, and hit the ground in a pile and die when the elevator stops at the bottom. Pretty lame.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:42 am

Oh dear. Yeah, i think that may be related to the map loading failure bug. Have you tried reloading the game or restarting from the last checkpoint? You could also save and quit and then restart it, which may force you back slightly further than the checkpoint to reset it.

Edit: Or did you actually manage to get past it?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 am

I just quit to the main menu and went back and it worked fine. I guess all said and done I just wasted a little time and farmed some items. I'd still rather the game work properly though.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:46 am

Oh yes, the first DLC has also been ''announced''. By looking at the achievements, there are now 8 new ones. 4 secret ones, and 4 stating:

Complete Dead Space™ 3 Awakened in Pure Survival Mode.

Awakened: Craft a weapon using a MK-II Weapon Tip.

Awakened: Stasis your Co-Op partner when he is downed to slow his bleed out timer.

Awakened: Finish charging the reactor in under 90 seconds.

As you can probably assume, the DLC will be known as Awakened. There doesn't seem to be any articles or interviews about it as of yet though, so there's little information to it.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 am

PlasticandRage wrote:I just quit to the main menu and went back and it worked fine. I guess all said and done I just wasted a little time and farmed some items. I'd still rather the game work properly though.

I can understand that, and i totally agree with you. I really don't understand how they could miss some of the bugs that we've had to face so far, and it makes you question where the series is headed, as far as the game working properly.

I can't remember bugs these bad at the release of DS1 and DS2, so i really hope they improve it soon enough, because it is rather disappointing.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 am

Oh yes, this achievement also proved to be useful as i now know how to save a downed friend while buying myself some time:

Awakened: Stasis your Co-Op partner when he is downed to slow his bleed out timer.

As it works in the ''vanilla game'' as well.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 am

Cool. Good eye man. I wonder if it's going to be anything like DS2's bigger DLC? I can't remember what it was called, but I watched it at a friends house and it looked pretty cool. It was a couple new levels with a new character and some new enemies. He said it was worth the money. A survival mode might be cool, especially in co-op.

I've just discovered how great the Repeater tip is for the Telemetry Spike. It says in the description that it's semi-auto, but it's not, it's full-auto. It's like a better version of the chain gun IMO. It fires more slowly, but does a lot more damage, and doesn't burn up ammo nearly as quickly. Kinda a Carbine but full-auto.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:00 am

I actually ''hate'' the telemetry spike tips myself, but i can see why someone would like them.

I noticed the achievements when i was looking through what secret achievements i had left. I was fooled at first, thinking that xbl had bugged up and forced me to redo 4 achievements, though after maybe 5 minutes, i decided to look it up again and noticed ''Awakened'', which prompted me to google it. There seems to be few discussions of it, most complaining about it being ''early on'' and that because of that they're just ''milking the series'' and whatever. I'm trying to look at it in a positive way though. I'm sure they worked on it half time while DS3 was in progress or something.

On topic on the DS2 DLC, i was going to buy it, and i even got microsoft points, but i ended up never buying it. I do wish to buy it even still, and the characters in the DLC are also present in Dead Space: Extraction, a game that i haven't played but watched gameplays of, just as well as the DS2 DLC. They look good, and the DS2 DLC looks just as intense as DS2 itself, if not even more so.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:05 am

Well, guess what?

I was looking through some channels on Youtube while waiting for a response on this topic, and i stumbled upon this:

You don't have to look through the whole video, hell, i haven't yet. However, i highly suggest you look at the first glitch.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 am

Mr. Tart wrote:I actually ''hate'' the telemetry spike tips myself, but i can see why someone would like them.

On topic on the DS2 DLC, i was going to buy it, and i even got microsoft points, but i ended up never buying it. I do wish to buy it even still, and the characters in the DLC are also present in Dead Space: Extraction, a game that i haven't played but watched gameplays of, just as well as the DS2 DLC. They look good, and the DS2 DLC looks just as intense as DS2 itself, if not even more so.

I totally forgot about DS:E. I actually have it, came with the second one I think, and I've never played it. I completely forgot I had it.

A few of the tips for the Telemetry Spike aren't that great in comparison to some other parts that do similar things better, like the rivet shotgun, the chain gun, and compact rivet gun, none of which I'm a fan of, and all of which military parts can do a better job of IMO; however a lot of the parts that do those things are cheaper and you have earlier in the game than the military stuff that's better. The default TS is awesome though. It's the Javelin Gun from DS2 which was one of my favorite weapons. Slap on some kind of rapid fire precision weapon as an underbarrel and stasis coating, slow your enemies, then fire the javelin and watch them fly away. I don't know if it can be done in this one, because I just haven't tried to do it yet, but in DS2 you could impale more than one enemy with one javelin if you lined it up right too.

I just pretty much blew all my ration seals for two MK-V parts that I pretty much have no use for. Awesome.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:30 am

If you haven't found it yet, there is actually an electric module that works like the secondary of the javelin. I also think there's some kind of explosive module, in case you wanted something like that. silly
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 am

This is late, but yes I have played all the Dead Space games.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:34 am

Yeah, I've got em, I just find that the ability to slow your enemies first, and have another weapon on hand to make you a more diverse attacker outweighs all that stuff. I have a pretty wide inventory of weapons right now, and I'm not using a single part that takes away a secondary weapon.

^ Because of her role in 2, I find myself more attached to her in 3 than I might have been otherwise. I loved how she wouldn't let Isaac near her at first. Such a realistic reaction in a situation like that. Then her getting her eye ripped out was just brutal. Totally never expect stuff like that to happen to the female supporting lead in a narrative.

Alright I take it back. One of my MK-V parts is useful. I'll probably never use the other though.

Did you guys know you could farm scavenger bot locations? I just laid down my two bots in the same two places 4 times for those parts. By the time I got back and forth to each spot and to the bench in between, they were ready to be placed again. Worked out perfectly.

Some of those glitches were spectacular. The Red Dead one was epic.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 pm

I keep trying to get started on NG+ and Pure Survival, but every time I'm forced to watch a cutscene I end up turning it off. Max Payne 3 would have had a lot of replay too, but it did the same crap. Why??????

The gameplay is fun! I want to build new weapons and acquire more parts! I just don't want to have to watch a five minute cutscene every fifteen minutes, especially one with cheesy dialogue!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Oh there not that bad. Try playing Xeno Saga and you'll never complain about 5 minutes again. I think the longest cinematic in that game was over an hour long.
    Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Oh DS3 is rife with glitches, I became immortal whilst playing co-op and there's the Elevator of Doom, as shown here:

And then I ended up glitching through the boss graphics

BTW, if you're struggling on impossible difficulty the guy who did that glitch vid, he's done a stellar walkthrough of the game.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:05 am

Yeah, something sort of similar happened to me last night. I was riding an elevator down and suddenly was falling about an inch above the elevator floor, and then died when it got to the bottom. Thankfully I've only encountered two glitches so far, and one was patched already, and the other was easily fixable with a quick quit and reload. Pretty much every next gen games got em. I'd be hard pressed to name one that didn't.

So I was just screwing around in the arena, and I decided to try to take on a wave using only my suspended bolas, and discovered that I really don't like it all that much. I had it paired with my ripper, which, as it turns out, was pretty much carrying the weight of the weapon alone. Most times when enemies get caught in the bolas, which I had combined with stasis coating for added slicing time, it catches them maybe once, and then they bounce out of it and don't get caught in it again. I also just found out the hard way that once it's down you can stasis yourself by touching it. So basically once you lay it down, you can't go near it until it's gone, where the suspended ripper blade goes wherever you want it to. I think I'm either going back to the bouncing bolas or something else entirely. The ripper is just too good at what it does to need to throw something else into the mix that does something even remotely similar.

Edit: Yeah, the bouncing bolas gets my vote as the best bolas weapon. It does as much damage as the suspended, but flies wherever you aim it, but, and here's something I've just figured out, when fired it slowly arcs downward as it flies, eventually touching the ground, if it doesn't make contact with another solid surface, and bounces back up in the air. What's really nice about that is if you pair it with stasis coating and aim it properly, you can catch your target in the legs just as the bolas touches the ground in it's downward arch, and as it bounces back up it'll send the enemy flying up in the air with it, and as the enemy is slowed from the stasis it'll fly slowly, allowing you to take it apart at your leisure. That is, as long as the initial blast didn't just kill whatever you fired it at.

It's pretty damn lame that you can't attach non-weapon parts to the single weapons on Hammond's Frames. I just got my first one, and I have to say I think it's completely useless. If I could attach rotator cuffs or support modules to it that might give me a reason to use those items. Such a silly addition.
    Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Hey, I'm wondering if any of you guys know, does New game + add difficulty? I know it gives better loot and stuff but I don't know if it increases the health of the enemies and stuff. I'd like some clarification on this. Thanks.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:38 pm

No, it does not. Going into New game + is like any other playthrough, you select the difficulty yourself.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

But standard NG+ is only one option. You can also begin Classic mode, Pure Survival Mode, or Hardcore mode. Check out the Dead Space wiki for info on each.

The game offers a good amount of replay value, just be aware that you are still going to have to watch the story cutscenes each time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 am