Dead Space 3

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Re: Dead Space 3

Post by Mr. Tart on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:53 pm

3 times if i'm not mistaken. It occured between Chapter 15 and Chapter 17.

But being that i've only gone through those chapters 3 times as of yet, 2 on my own campaign, and another in co-op, i'd say it looks pretty bad.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 am

Have any of you guys tried all 3 of the bolas variants? I'm trying to decide which to craft, and I only have enough tungsten for one.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

PSN: PlasticAndRage
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:45 am

I haven't. I could try them out on Impossible once i get home though.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 am

Not worth troubling yourself for if you haven't yet. I'll end up trying em all at some point anyway.

So evidently if you travel between ships some of the pickups in and around those ships respawn. There's a hidden room in one of the larger pieces of debris floating outside the Greely, and inside that room is one of those larger storage containers that usually have a couple weapon parts and materials inside. I just got 50 tungsten out of it, and it's the second time I've opened it. There's also 2 lockers and a pickup out on the floor that also respawn. I'm not sure what it is exactly that you need to do to make them respawn, but I'm guessing it's leaving to another ship and coming back.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:20 am

I have used the bouncing bola and the cutter bola. I prefer the bouncer because it does the same thing, but has the chance to rebound and hit a second enemy. Both are very powerful. I use it to sweep the legs off of runners and then I finish them up with a burst from the pulse rifle.

The flamethrower does stun the enemies in this game. It's range is pretty short, but it is simple to use, no need to aim for limbs. It is also good for the occasional sticky babies (those little face hugger things). It probably isn't worth investing any materials in, but if you find the parts it is fun to play with. You could do a flamethrower only run for a "The Thing" cosplay.

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 am

Since I was going to have to redo three previous levels, I decided to just start an entirely new game on Impossible. I just got back to the point where you reach the ice world, and so far it still isn't as hard as I remembered the previous titles to be. I haven't come close to running out of ammo or medpaks, and the only time I have died is during those rare "holy ****!" circumstances where they flood you with monsters. I have played through all this already though, so once I get to the point where I am venturing into new territory on Impossible we'll see how I fare.

It is kind of a shame, but I think DKS has made me too good a player for the average game. Perhaps on Impossible and True Survivalist mode I will get a real challenge, but it's too bad you can't play that from the start. It seems like most of the difficulty depends on the players impatience. If you just go through slowly and pay attention to everything, it's really pretty easy.

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 pm

"The resource-earning mechanic in Dead Space 3 is not a glitch," EA's Jino Talens told GameFront. "We have no plans to issue a patch to change this aspect of the game. We encourage players to explore the game and discover the areas where resources respawn for free. We’ve deliberately designed Dead Space 3 to allow players to harvest resources by playing through the game. For those that wish to accumulate upgrades instantly, we have enabled an optional system for them to buy the resources at a minimal cost ($1-$3)."

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 pm

I wish I had the kinda time you guys seem too. Damn school taking me away from video games.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:27 pm

I think i'd appreciate not having a lot of free time actually. It easily builds up the tension that way.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm

It's true. I go nuts after about a week or so of doing nothing. I'm just under so much stress right now, it seems preferable

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Understandable. Totally forgot about checking out the bolas, and i will check them out, like it or not, so i'll just do it in the morning, which would be in a couple of hours.

Which chapter are you on right now?

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 pm

I can't remember off the top of my head. I just returned to the space surrounding the Greely in order to look for an engine for the shuttle. I think 8 or 9.

Yeah, I'm about to depart the flotilla for the planet, and I'm assuming that I'm not coming back, at least not in the same capacity that I have been. Have either of you guys done the co-op mission at the Brusilov? I've been playing exclusively solo, so I never got the mission prompt to go there. I'm thinking about doing it now, before I leave orbit, just to scavenge items.

I just tried. You can't get inside without a co-op partner. There's all kinds of loot outside though

TIGER UPPERCUT!

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 am

I'm not working now because I was seriously injured. Trust me, it's not worth it! As much as I love a good video game, after a few months of having nothing better to do it can get pretty depressing. After April though I will be back to work, and I will probably never have the time or money to play games again.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:48 am

Eh. Regardless of how busy I am I always make time for me. Part of the reason I'm always up so late at night.

Wow. Landing on the planet is pretty intense.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 am

Watch at 3.30

That's the map-failing-to-load bug i was talking about. silly

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:44 am

Yo guys, you got to stop playing with the evangelizer! I had been cruising through Impossible like it was nothing with that thing, smoking necromorphs with ease and stomping around like I owned the place. I decided to dismantle that thing and swore not to rebuild it, and since then I have been getting my *** spanked! One room of the Supply Room optional mission killed me eight times and exhausted all my ammo. I had to frantically scurry for dropped ammo and use kinesis like a mad man. This is the real Dead Space experience. Every noise I hear now builds tension, every big room I come into is a fearful experience. The spitters are a freaking nightmare. Now I'm having to carefully weigh my choices about resource management. Most of the time I am having to craft ammo because I am constantly on the edge of running out.

All this because I stopped using the Evangelizer. Why did they give out such a game breaking gun so easily? I only bought the limited edition because it was all the store had!

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:51 am

Now that I've got access to the Ripper I'm finding that I'm relying on the Evangelizer shotgun less and less. It's putting my back in my Dead Space element. Using it with stasis coating is pretty awesome too. You slow em down, then have time to just chop em to bits with one blade. I'm right about to fire up my first bolas gun too. I finally have all the parts I need. I think I'm going to go Pulse Gun/Ripper, and Bolas/Grenade Launcher.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 am

I stopped using the Evangelizer ages ago. silly

Btw, checking out the bolas right now Plastic.

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 am

The Compressor has proven to be slightly useful, although easy to dodge by the enemy. Upon hitting a target, if successful, it may just be great for crowd control. It's worth considering, however, i'd pick one of the others myself.

The Repeater has proven to be amazing at cutting limbs so far. Even when not upgraded at all it slices off limbs on Impossible like nothing. It's most certainly better than the Directed Suspension Field, or atleast that's what i think. It seems slightly like a Line Gun, although with less width but easier limb-cutting.

The Directed Suspension Field is great for setting up traps, and with stasis can prove to be a big threat. Just like the Compressor, it can prove to be great for crowd control, probably better even. However, being that you'd have to use stasis for it to be fully efficient, may not be the best choice, unless you always carry Stasis Packs on you. The targetting with it is rather annoying though, as it tends to land slightly lower than were you shoot with it.

Having retried them all, i think that the Repeater is the most useless one, as it has the same power as the Compressor, except for bouncing and being able to do extra damage to other enemies.

I'm sure the Directed Suspension Field could also be very well used against Feeders, as they can prove to be quite a nuisance.

Hope that helped. tongue

Last edited by Mr. Tart on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:30 am

I just encountered my first Feeders. Man are they creepy. At least that first encounter with them is. I was walking right up on them and then suddenly saw movement in the dark, and realized I was almost right on top of them, and they hadn't noticed me yet. Scarey little bastards.

That's funny, because I've actually been using the compressor bolas for the last hour. The repeater does the least amount of damage, and operates just like a less powerful Line Gun, but with that little pop at the end. I can't afford the direct suspension field yet, because I sprang for a Ripper, and am SO glad a did. Anyway the compressor is awesome for enclosed spaces, which is what I've been using it most for because I ended up combining it with my Ripper, and stasis coating, so when I'm facing a group of enemies in a tight space, like the Feeders in the basement, I've been firing a stasis coated ripper blade, then following up with a bouncing bolas, and it bounces around the room taking things out while I'm focused on the ripper blade. Been working well so far. If I end up buying the DSF, I'd probably need to switch my weapons around again, just because it'd make my bolas do something very similar to what my Ripper is doing, and I think you benefit most from being as diverse as possible.

Wait, I misread what you were saying. I agree, I think the Repeater is the most useless, and chose the Compressor over it. If I wanted something like what the Repeater does, I'd have just stuck with my Negotiator Line Gun, and done way more damage.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:32 am

Just one thing about the Feeders. They are ''blind'', so if you find them eating, you can actually sneak past them. Just don't aim your lights on them or get too close. There's even an achievement/trophy for sneaking past them on your first encounter, if you're interested in that sort of stuff.

The funny thing about the Compressor is, when i first tried it out, i thought it was the worst one, but i felt that to give you a good explanation of all of them, i decided to give it one more try, which proved that i was wrong on my first try.

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 am

Well that explains why they weren't reacting. I make it a habit to negotiate new areas as slowly as possible, and I was kinda just creeping up, actually looking right over their heads at a light that got my attention. It kinda looked like a pickup, so I was looking at it, then one of them shifted slightly and I almost pooped my pants.

The combination of the audio log that plays as you're going down the elevator, the dark environment full of wrapped frozen dead bodies, and the music definitely all come together to make that first encounter pretty terrifying. Visceral absolutely has still got it. The game's had it's actiony moments, but it's definitely been scaring the crap out of me pretty regularly as well.

The enemy design is pretty spectacular all around in this one. My only real qualm is that I thought the human Lurkers were more frightening than the dogs.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:38 am

Yeah, i think one of the recordings you find with this guy named Sam(the co-op character if you play the prologue on co-op) speaking, he even mentions their vision becoming worse as they turn into Feeders. Other than that it's only mentioned in their description, which you'd have to google.

I really like the fact that you can sneak in some areas though. I've always loved sneaking in games, and being able to do it in DS3 is just awesome. silly

Edit: Yeah, think that's the recording i mentioned just now.

I really love the insight those recordings give you. It's almost like those clues you find in Dks, like the bloody elevator. silly

PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 am

My only beef there is that the majority seem to be text logs in this one. I liked all the video logs from the others. DS1 specifically comes to mind. I found it to be extremely haunting to watch the crew of the Ishimura slowly lose it and turn on each other.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:46 am

Video Logs...

My god. Totally forgot about them. Yeah, they were awesome. Thinking about it, i can't remember seeing any except one, which i can't tell you about to avoid any spoilers. As small of a spoiler as it may be. Hardly even a spoiler... But still!

Anyway, i'm off to school now, so go enjoy DS3. silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 am