A different way to look at the problem with backstabs.

Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

A different way to look at the problem with backstabs.

Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:57 am

Ok, I know theres been alot of back and forth on this discussion, and alot of people agree and disagree on the subject of the backstab.
    Either being changed in some way to help resolve lagstabs and all the other lag related culprits or removed all together to avoid those issues completely.
    So IMO removing it isn't an option so I started to think about it a little different.
    What if instead of changing the backstab or adding new parts,
    we thought about the way the character moves,
    and the possibility of adding strafing to the next souls game.
    I think if strafing was done right it could prevent the player from making unrealistic sharp corners around there opponents, or just dashing past him/her and immediately turn to be standing still behind him/her ready for a BS. Maybe by changing some of the ways your character moves (subtle changes like realistic weight distribution in accordance to the weight of your armor) and by adding strafing, those two dynamics working together in the right way could possibly make the combat and player movement more realistic and possibly help with BS related problems.

Edit: I want to elaborate more on what I said about realistic weight distribution in accordance to your armor weight.
    It basically means the heavier your armor is the more inertia your character will feel, by having to recover from stopping quickly or by doing a 180.

So what do you guys think?
    Do you get where I'm coming From with this?
    Or is this a horrible idea?
    Or is this a good idea, but wont help the BS in any way?
    Or am I just completely crazy? :affraid:

psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83

...Go Beyond Death...
    CappuccinoJak
    Addicted
    Addicted

Re: A different way to look at the problem with backstabs.

Post by CappuccinoJak on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:27 am

to be honest, i have no idea what to think about this lol. i'm not really sure if we even need strafing, then again i don't know what i want that's FROM's job. everyone wants lagstabs to be dealt with, but i feel that's coming from connection problems rather than the mechanic itself. so if they decide to do server-based online, it should run much more smoothly....hopefully.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:32 am

CappuccinoJak wrote:to be honest, i have no idea what to think about this lol. i'm not really sure if we even need strafing, then again i don't know what i want that's FROM's job. everyone wants lagstabs to be dealt with, but i feel that's coming from connection problems rather than the mechanic itself. so if they decide to do server-based online, it should run much more smoothly....hopefully.

Oh I agree. The problem with BS's IS lag for sure.
    This is all about brain storming ideas that may or may not work.
    This is just and idea. I even said fixing the BS isn't the reason behind it, it just may be a nice side effect, maybe.

psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83

...Go Beyond Death...
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:53 am

I think it's a good idea. One great thing about the Souls games is that the combat feels like it has much more realistic physics than most games (I'm looking at you, Skyrim). Things like the effect of weapon weight on swing speed are done really well. The inertia idea would be an extension of that, IMO.

Flankydizzle
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Flankydizzle on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:21 pm

My main character has force/wotg so as soon as I seem them fishing and they get close *boom*. Force to start off with but if they keep going BOOM End of problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:59 am