Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
ChizFreak
Akatik
Serious_Much
Mike-Lassen
Maneater_Mildred
Whknight
masterofcheese
Yukon
theGentleman
13 posters

Things I Learned While Griefing the Burg

theGentleman
    theGentleman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Things I Learned While Griefing the Burg Empty Things I Learned While Griefing the Burg

Post by theGentleman Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:11 am

A few days ago, I decided to conduct a few experiments and try my hand at being an 'ethical' DW.
    The rules being that I wouldn't dump on any lowbies. I would invade, scope them out, maybe take a swipe, size up their gear and black crystal out if things didn't add up. If I did stay to give them a fight, it would be with early game gear not upgraded past +3 and I would drop them a useful but not gamebreaking weapon for their troubles (ie, Magic Longsword +2 or Divine Mace +3). Here are the findings of my griefing experiment.

1) The BB Glitch is rampant. I would continually run into guys in end game gear who would get two shotted by a spell or combustion. Thinking I was fighting a guy of superior level and game completion, I would later find their vitality equal to my own lvl 20 toon.
    I would also run into something like a thief in starter gear who had killed everything in the burg and encouraged me to fight. Thinking I was fighting a legit lowbie, I would downgrade and get chain BS'd by a lightning dagger.
    We all knew it was going on, I was just surprised to see the extent.

2) Dark Souls is getting new players everyday. I would check trophies to confirm lowbie status and a good portion had only the first three in their collection.
    The population isn't dwindling off.

3) Lowbies/newbies can get emotional. They freak out when they get invaded. They run all over trying to summon phantoms or try to ambush you from around corners. This is expected. But then they send 'thank you' messages after you drop them a weapon and give them a fair fight (win or lose).

4) Lots of people are down for fist fights. The best place is on the wooden bridge so the thing doesn't go on forever.

5) NPC cosplay invasions are my new favorite past time. Invading Lowbies as Dusk puts you on near equal footing . . . . all you can do is hide your weapon or turn into a barrel.

Which brings me to a question I have been considering.
    Why don't we have an NPC War?

Try beating anybody who possess some amount of reasonable skill as Ingward - it's a blast. All you can do is poke at them with your catalyst because they can dodge your spells and even if you parry with the ghost knife, the catalyst can't follow up.
    Solaire and Kirk are easy to fight as, but make an attempt at dressing up as Vamos and coming out victorious.

Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Things I Learned While Griefing the Burg Empty Re: Things I Learned While Griefing the Burg

Post by Yukon Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 am

Now get out 'o 'ere... You'll spoil my focus...

This sounds like a really fun idea btw, I am behind it 100%
    masterofcheese

Things I Learned While Griefing the Burg Empty Re: Things I Learned While Griefing the Burg

Post by masterofcheese Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 am

Nice findings, I too have seen the same things. I regularly dress in NPC cloths and invade UB. I like being a painted guardian the most. The dual wield looks badass. I drop items for the people I invade if I see they are indifferent to me being there. Alot of the people I invade though... Twinks, at least 70% of them. They are normally standing at the bonfire, so I assume they are trying to invade other players and grief them. When I come across this I toy with them. I'll stand way back and blast them with arrows, or run to the rooftop and throw fire bombs at them. Since they can't invade while I'm there I figure I'm doing the community a service by wasting their time. After all the more time they spend dealing with me the less time they are spending griefing legitimate lowbies.

I didn't BB glitch to do this though. I took up a personal challenge to beat the game at level 10 (level 10 for weapon choices only). I accomplished it and now the character spends his days relaxing at Firelink or handing gifts to lowbies. Running out of stuff to give out though. Might have to farm some souls. Gonna be rough as level 10 though lol.

Side note! I am so down with some NPC duels.

SIDE NOTE AGAIN!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Caroso964#g/c/F10BD433B2ECB354
    These guys do some sweet NPC duels!
    theGentleman
    theGentleman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by theGentleman Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:55 am

Realizing that I might have mashed two subjects into one headline, if enough people feel strongly about the NPC War, I will start a new subject in the PvP section. Or somebody else can take the initiative as I'm more interested in seeing it happen than leading the charge.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:16 am

Honestly, go for it. I would rather enjoy seeing and reading about different wars other than just covenant veruses covenant.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:17 am

Intresting observations. 1 thing.... From what you said in your post about how your fighting went, you wernt griefing! Other than that your post was perfect.

Npc war would be fun... Only problem is who i will be.... Anyone want to guess?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:23 am

I kinda feel silly now as I just realized we actually have our first cosplay war going on, even though it's two options I think it may be a better idea to limit what costumes are allowed to one let other people know who may not actively be participating know that the person who just invaded them is apart of it and may get them involved and worse case people that want to actually ruin fun can be discouraged from abused sets like giants or havels.
    theGentleman
    theGentleman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by theGentleman Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 am

I intended for this to be something of a social commentary about the status of the Burg in contrast to the hard data collections that so many other people are putting so much hard (and appreciated) work into.

I'm going to move the subject of an NPC War into the PvP section so as not to tempt the wrath of the mods. I get away with enough under-the-radar-semi-trolling to push my luck.
    Mike-Lassen

Post by Mike-Lassen Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:33 am

I have also been hanging out in Burg and Parish with a level 10 toon because I suck at pvp and need experience. I am moving on - realized that I need one of those dried fingers.

I have seen a lot of the cosplaying overlord type invaders with upgraded armor, flip ring and lightning weapons. (I saw one dressed up like the boy from ICO – cute look.)

However, I have ALSO seen some invaders in lowlevel gear, where people have fair chance (still flips). These invaders will often meet sun bros with lightning claymores that then moves on to kill the boss in one combo, which is lame as well.

I feel that new players wanting to experience the game does not deserve to get involved in this griever - anti-griever metagame.

Be careful not to help people too much if they didn't ask (even if you have good intentions). I would personally not want an invader to kill minibosses or black knights, open short cuts or gift me over powerful weapons in the early game.

A great gift to receive in the early game is humanities, transient curses, purging stones and gold pine resin..

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:59 am

I wouldn't mind and NPC war would be fun to do, though lets do something actually decent first, rather than using people like reah or dusk, lol silly

I'd say in terms of you griefing, I might even do this to guys who deserve it, endgame gear obviously cheating for it, but if it was a regular player I'd crystal out, I prefer not to tarnish their game even if it helps them as it changes how it was meant to be.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:47 am

After some long consideration, I decided not to use the glitch when making my newest character. I know I'll be at the mercy of the griefers, but hell.. I can take it.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:07 pm

theGentleman wrote:Realizing that I might have mashed two subjects into one headline, if enough people feel strongly about the NPC War, I will start a new subject in the PvP section. Or somebody else can take the initiative as I'm more interested in seeing it happen than leading the charge.

Please create it, because you had the idea big grin, I will join the war without thinking it twice, I love NPC cosplay, it's what keeps me playing. I currently have a toon who can cosplay as: Solaire, Nicko/Vincent (cleric warriors) and Leeroy - Paladin (my favourite).

Also I have a toon which I use to cosplay as a Black Knight (full set, shield, and all BK weapons) or Kirk.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    Darkmoon knightess?
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:41 pm

BLA1NE wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    Darkmoon knightess?

everyine knows it’s going to be sieglinde
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:43 pm

hellooo wrote:
    BLA1NE wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    Darkmoon knightess?

My money's on Mr Lautrec.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    hellooo wrote:
    BLA1NE wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    Darkmoon knightess?

I thought maybe Reah, but Mildred strikes me more as a Knightess type. You know, full suit of armor, shortsword, and all--well equipped. Let's just say she doesn't strike me as the type who would settle for a sack on her head.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm

BLA1NE wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:
    hellooo wrote:
    BLA1NE wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    Darkmoon knightess?

I thought maybe Reah, but Mildred strikes me more as a Knightess type. You know, full suit of armor, shortsword, and all--well equipped. Let's just say she doesn't strike me as the type who would settle for a sack on her head.

definitely not, more likely the heavy armoured havel flipping type well, when she's not cosplaying that is.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:12 pm

BLA1NE wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:
    hellooo wrote:
    BLA1NE wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    Darkmoon knightess?

Hmmm, you boys having fun? Come on, who dosnt want to see 100s of mildreds marching into battle?
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Serious_Much wrote:

definitely not, more likely the heavy armoured havel flipping type well, when she's not cosplaying that is.

This was my 1st toon, before i learned any better. he was broken, so hosts fc now. 60 vit, 60 end, 30 str, lightning zwiehander/claymor. Yes very broken.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:24 pm

I don't particularly want to see hundreds of Mildreds... Two is alright!
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 pm

@mildred - I just spotted your signature... I wish I had spent a slab on my sack! All I got is a fur-ball to boast about!

But on topic - Yes I have a SL15 who helps out in the burg...

SO about this NPC war... I'm thinking maybe I could go for this.. are we going to have to create new characters for it in case our hair is a different colour or something? I kinda like the idea of the firekeeper in Anor Londo or Pyro Whip carrying NPC from Painted world... ooohhhhh... goosebumps thinking about it winking
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 pm

No one want's to be a Balder knight cosplay? Or crestfallen warrior, basically mimics of normal enemies?

@ Mildred, I think you should have a clan where the PSN names are Maneater_ (insert name) and they all invade with the Sack and Butcher knife xD
    theGentleman
    theGentleman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by theGentleman Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 pm

The topic of an NPC war has been moved to the PvP section, for any interested.

Also, I frequently Invade as a Balder Knight using Balder gear . . . moderately successful.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 am