Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Rifter7
Seignar
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
WyrmHero
FinPeku
Noob-of-Artorias
OrnsteinBro
11 posters

Is there any consistent way to dodge Dark Magic in a 2V1?

OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Is there any consistent way to dodge Dark Magic in a 2V1? Empty Is there any consistent way to dodge Dark Magic in a 2V1?

Post by OrnsteinBro Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:47 am

Today I got killed by a pair of invaders with pursuers, CHSM, CSS, hornet ring and Dark Bead.

Basically I dodged the pursuers from one guy while they both (and their pursuers) chased me down. One of them got the opportunity to get behind me to backstab me. I couldn't tell if the one with hornet was going to Dark Bead or chainstab on wakeup.

The two of them had different latency variations from me (one was very laggy, the other one had an undetermined connection), so it was risky staying up close- if they fired at the same or roughly the same time I might get smashed by at least one of them even if I dodged the other.

I tried to get space, and in the process of doing so I died to a CSS I didn't even see coming.

Everyone else on here is beating dark magic easily and yet it still keeps doing me in, I feel like a down's syndrome kid lol. Does anyone have a reliable way of judging latency against a person using dark magic? Or just beating Dark Magic in general in a 2v1?
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Is there any consistent way to dodge Dark Magic in a 2V1? Empty Re: Is there any consistent way to dodge Dark Magic in a 2V1?

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:15 pm

It's times like this I miss the Dark Wood Grain Ring....
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Is there any consistent way to dodge Dark Magic in a 2V1? Empty Re: Is there any consistent way to dodge Dark Magic in a 2V1?

Post by FinPeku Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Yes, dark wood grain ring is excellent for dodging magic. I used it in the arena against mage builds and i don't think i really got hit. I also use it with my forest hunter builds.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:56 pm

When they cast pursuers dodge towards them. You can even do it with mid roll if you time it right.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:00 pm

I just run away from Pursuers (especially in the forest). Is it just me or does the CSS have the most messed up hit-box ever?
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Guide on how to dodge:

Pursuers - Unlock; wide strafe and run. Your run speed is faster than pursuers, wide strafing lets you get closer without risking Pursuers. You must initiate a hit-and-run tactic if you do this.

Dark Bead - Dodge back. Sources indicate that dodging forward is slower than dodging back. Dodging back is better and breaks the distance in case of spam. Roll forward is riskier and only puts you in riskier situations.

CSS - Dodge at the sound of the ting (Varies depending on the distance; practice). Due to lag, by the time the "ting" sounds on your end, on their end, it is already soaring towards you. Most of the time, when it sounds, it is time to dodge although at long distances you will have to wait. DO NOT DODGE AHEAD OF TIME AS THE CSS WILL TRACK YOU WELL AT LONG DISTANCES.

Best way to dodge Dark Bead is to stay away from the guy with the Catalyst approaching you. Best way to dodge Pursuers is to backtrack. Best way to dodge CSS is to hear the *ting*.
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Seignar wrote:

CSS - Dodge at the sound of the ting (Varies depending on the distance; practice). Due to lag, by the time the "ting" sounds on your end, on their end, it is already soaring towards you. Most of the time, when it sounds, it is time to dodge although at long distances you will have to wait. DO NOT DODGE AHEAD OF TIME AS THE CSS WILL TRACK YOU WELL AT LONG DISTANCES.

I generally dodge CSS by watching the thing light up to a certain point before rolling (gotta factor lag in too), but I was concentrating on getting distance while the other guy bore down on me with Pursuers + Dark Bead. I didn't even see the first guy start casting CSS from the other end of the map.

I'll try that though, wish I'd known you could tell by the sound earlier.

WyrmHero wrote:When they cast pursuers dodge towards them. You can even do it with mid roll if you time it right.

I don't see how this works... it only gets you a faceful of pursuers on recovery. silly
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 pm

You go through them and the iframes + lag do the work.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:47 pm

it's just practice and reading the situation. i could sit here and tell you to iframe roll thru them, but then youd be back here asking how to dodge the dark bead or black flame follow up.

you have time to see what they're doing and you need to make a decision on how you're going to survive and punish them.

also, don't be afraid to try and backstab them while they try to setup a cast. if you're giving them enough distance to setup their pursuers you're doing it wrong... that or you need to be miles away when theyre setting em up.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:07 pm

I generally dodge CSS by watching the thing light up to a certain point
    before rolling (gotta factor lag in too), but I was concentrating on
    getting distance while the other guy bore down on me with Pursuers +
    Dark Bead. I didn't even see the first guy start casting CSS from the
    other end of the map.

I'll try that though, wish I'd known you could tell by the sound earlier.
    Before I did it like that, but I realized that the ting sound is more important, it only sounds when the shot is actually fired and it is the only way to literally know that a CSS has been fired; you don't have to know from where or from what, you just know a CSS was fired, with this you'll have 70% increased likelihood of dodging it and it has been a life saver various times in the forest. If I didn't try this tactic, I would have gotten at least 2 CSS when I ran. One time, I was running and heard the ting, I judged my distance since last I looked behind me and managed to time a dodge and have a CSS whiff past me even tho I have no idea who shot it or from how far.

Btw, a little off-topic, your avatar, it's great. (Totally random, I know, bro)
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 am

I don't think you should feel bad about that! Dodging 1 dark magic caster is easy; dodging 2 isn't. It depends equally on how good you are at dodging and how bad they are at casting--if you're not great or they're anything better than brain-dead, the odds aren't in your favor. Pursuers are very easy to evade by walking, but when you need to dodge Dark Bead at the same time, rolling will allow the pursuers to catch up. Roll in the wrong direction and the pursuers hit you; don't roll and the beads hit you. It's manageable when you're only facing 1 caster. But with 2 sets of pursuers and beads, and CSSs, and BSs too, I don't think anyone would say that's easy to dodge.

The only advice I can give is do your best to keep both casters in your field of view at all times. Plan your strafing (to evade the pursuers) and your rolls (to evade Beads and SSs) in wide arcs around both of them, that way you'll always see them. As always when you're fighting Dark Magic, concentrate on dodging first. Eventually an opening will come up and you'll get a chance to attack. Until then, strafe and roll!
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 am

Dodging Pursuers is easy, as others have said, by simply rolling into them. It always works for me. All you really have to do to dodge Dark Magic is be able to tell what spell they are casting when they charge up. Most spells can be averted simply by rolling into them, really.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:20 pm

One thing I have a problem with about pursuers is that the animation gets really messed up if the incoming pursuers try to target multiple victims, or more than one person is using pursuers at the same time. Nearly every time this happens, some of the pursuers never appear to fire (even though they did and are in the air) or appear to be going after someone else even though they are really going after you. The end result tends to be that all of a sudden you just fall over and die, even though there appears to be nothing near you, and/or what killed you looks like it is hitting someone else. It is very frustrating, and the only sort of counter I've found is to just randomly hit the silver pendant or roll for as long as there are pursuers anywhere.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah, for me it was all about practice.
    After awhile you know exactly how those b@stards move and will be able to judge there position and avoid them with ease.
    I honestly wish they decided against putting Pursuers in the final game.
    It's not impossible to dodge by any means, but when people spam it more than once, or cast it then chase you down until it breaks your guard then take you out with there buffed +15, it gets pretty ridiculous and quite annoying to deal with.
    But after awhile you learn to deal with it.
    Plus I feel like the amount of people that do this isn't quite as abundant as when first released.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm