Why so serious?

ted1023
    Addicted
    Addicted

Why so serious?

Post by ted1023 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Lately I have been doing a lot of invasions in the Lower Burg, Sens, and Anor Londo. While most of the invasions are the typical uneventful stuff, every so often I seem to invade someone who's ego is detrimentally scarred by the fact they were killed they feel the need to send me a 3 page rant detailing there disapproval. The funny part is, it's not the newbie who was just stomped but, rather it's the uber leveled guys with their WOTG, Dark Beads, full Havel and Giants amour, you know the so called elitist who know everything about how the game must be played.

My question is simple ""WHY SO SERIOUS" I treat this as a game, why? Cause, it's a game! If I kill someone or get killed it's still a game to me.. Whether I get killed on 1v1 or 3v1 it's still fun to play…I really don't care how others are playing the game, whether they are OP or ganking.. If I don't like it.. It's an open world I just move on. More often than not I tend to stay just to challenge myself.. I have never felt the urge to rant to a player about my disapproval. Fact is, if someone wants to tell me how to play the game, they first need to send me my $59.99 back and then they will have a better chance. I read this back to myself I just realized it can be considered my own rant..lol but the question still stands.. "WHY SO SERIOUS" I would like your insight, maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by ted1023 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

ted4freestyle (youtube channel just vids of fun pvp)
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Why so serious?

Post by Walter_White on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 pm

i think it's their ego
    and i can't understand that like you - it's Dark Souls Prepare To Die
    Always good to find enemies who can kill you pretty fast, so you have something you still need to learn - if i start to win 90% of my battles i will stop to play Dark Souls.
    Find a high obstacle and try to get over it, or die trying - that's playing Dark Souls for me and, thanks god, i still find enough high obstacles (only in PvP in PvE it's a walk in the Park)

PSN: Dark_Sunbro
    Using my Black Eye Orb:
    SC, Old Spice, CW, Old Spice, 2h DBS, bow, roll+R1, R2 while getting up -> job done
    Rainraey

Post by Rainraey on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:54 pm

I know man, I just play for the fun of it. When people send my hate messages and such, I just shrug it off and continue on to my journey.

"Keep the dream alive: Hit the snooze button"
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:48 pm

I agree with you. I started invading recently and have run into all kinds of stuff like hackers (a SL 48 guy who claimed to have 2020 hp, go figure), gankers (including a 1v5 story I shared in another thread, the host ran away during the fight and immediately summoned two more Sunbros when I killed the first two, then did the "well what is it" gesture when they finally took me down), disconnectors, WoG spammers, etc. - and when I lose I don't really care, I just look for a new fight. And when I get invaded I fight and if I die, oh well, no big deal.

As in many types of games/competitions, I think the key is not having an inflated sense of your own abilities - most of the rage probably comes from the fact that they genuinely believe they are much better than you, so the only way they could have lost is that you cheated or that you got lucky. I make lots of bad mistakes in Dark Souls and lose quite frequently, so I don't have this problem since I know that I'm not a great player.

I am an avid chess player and still rage sometimes when losing a game - (unfortunately?) chess players have numerical ratings calculated from their tournament and online play. I'm around 1900 so when I lose to someone in the 1300-1500 range (players I'm expected to beat 90-95% of the time) sometimes I get pissed and in my worse moments might send them a rude message if they refuse a rematch. Yeah, it's something that I still need to work on controlling, but I'm pretty sure a similar type of psychology is involved in all other games, including Dark Souls. Except, unlike in chess where ratings are calculated and openly displayed, I suspect that many Dark Souls players grossly misjudge their own skill. The people who rage are probably those whose cheap tactics work most of the time against inexperienced players, deluding them into thinking they are much better than they actually are. Anyways, sorry for the long post but I hope my experiences with chess helped answer your question.

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Well a level 45 can have 2026 hp:

http://mmdks.com/z4c

Obsessed

Post by gmwdim on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Yes, but based on the equipment he was using and the damage he was able to do, surely he had to have a bunch of points in Strength. Not to mention Endurance, with all his rolling around. And honestly, he seemed to have more than even 2020 hp. I hit him full-on with HCSM and SS which combined to do at least 1600 damage I think, and he still had a good amount of hp left.

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 pm

K

Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:28 pm

these are the dark souls equivalent of lawyers, but because there are no rules of law to twist in their favor they whine at you when you kick their butts.

LoreFF
    Casual
    Casual

Post by LoreFF on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:52 am

+1 for that post. Raging and Getting pissed when you die will only stress you out and stop you from having fun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:39 pm