Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Juutas
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
WyrmHero
Sentiel
RANT
9 posters

painting guardian sword

RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

painting guardian sword Empty painting guardian sword

Post by RANT Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:45 pm

ok so i keep hearing how good it is but i personally think its garbage, i have used it for cosplay invasions and some duels, while i do like the way it looks its just too damn short and it has crappy crits. ive won a couple of 2v1's with it and a lot of invasions but for duels it kinda sucks, i personally have never lost a fight against it, its so east to parry, last time i fought one i parried the guy four times. trying to hit and run is a joke because of the reach(or lack of) it has. so what are youre strategies for using one? if you ever use one/
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

painting guardian sword Empty Re: painting guardian sword

Post by Sentiel Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 pm

It's basically like Gold Tracer. It has slightly more AR, but ridiculous range. It's R2s aren't anything special either. But it's good as an offhand weapon. It's R1 can easily stop BS attempts and it has a very fast parry. If your main weapon does Bleed, off hand PGS will work with it nicely.

You can buff it, then, it becomes much bigger threat and menace than GT, even though it has next to no reach.

Any curved sword is easy to parry if you start spamming 2H R1. After GT, people totally don't expect 1H R1 anymore. big grin

Definitely not the best weapon out there, but it is usable, just like everything else. winking
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:14 pm

yeah i know that it's a beast when buffed specially but only if your opponent is a retard and trades blows with you. i never spam r1 and the guys ive fought never did and i still parried them to death because they have to get in close to me and it just makes parrying it much easier. i do like it as an off hand weapon better though.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Well I would just 2 hand it and spam it. Hopefully my enemy doesn't know how to parry. If I see them try to parry I just spam it with a different timing. I see no use as an offhand, I try it with my samurai cosplay and I see no reason why to not attack with the main hand. Priscilla's Dagger was more successful, but I was at SL 20, very low bleed resistance.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:51 pm

the two handed r2 can be used to close distance between you and your opponent.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 pm

PGS is awesome.
    It feels weird but use those R2s because people don't seem to get the parrytimings right against them, also lock off and be as agressive as possible without being too predictable.
    Backstep follow up attack and running attack are very useful too, it's all about the speed with this one.
    Good mental buff when using this weapon is to keep in mind that it does about the same dmg and bleed as the katanas but it's faster.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm not a big fan of it either. It's just too short for me. In the past when I've wanted a fast buffable bleed weapon I've used the Barbed SS, but a lot of people don't like that either.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:32 pm

Oh, I forgot to say that PGS is the best anti backstab weapon in the game.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:33 pm

I use the Barbed Straight Sword on my Kirk cosplay/ Quality Build, and I love it! It's +15, and buffed with Sunlight Blade, it's one of my favourite weapons. I'm still a fan of the pgs, when buffed with CMW (What I use) at +15, it's nearly just as good.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 pm

It oozes style, that there is enough reason for me to use it. As opposed to something like the Barbed Sword which looks like a rusted iron shaft.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:37 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:It oozes style, that there is enough reason for me to use it. As opposed to something like the Barbed Sword which looks like a rusted iron shaft.
    For some reason, I love that rustic, badass looking piece of metal with spikes on.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 pm

^ Me too. The PGS looks like something you'd shave with.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:the two handed r2 can be used to close distance between you and your opponent.

there were a couple of good fights there but most of them just spammed r1 against it hoping to stunlock him and kill him which is what you do not do against a damn BUFFED pgs, dumbasses. whay does everyone post this vid whenever people wanna show how good the pgs is, is this really the best vid on youtube of the pgs?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 pm

Juutas wrote:PGS is awesome.
    It feels weird but use those R2s because people don't seem to get the parrytimings right against them, also lock off and be as agressive as possible without being too predictable.
    Backstep follow up attack and running attack are very useful too, it's all about the speed with this one.
    Good mental buff when using this weapon is to keep in mind that it does about the same dmg and bleed as the katanas but it's faster.

but the r2 is the same as all the others curved swords(i think) so i woulld just go with the other instead of this specially if youre gonna hit and run since its not much more powerful than the rest. backstep follow up attack is so easy to parry thoug and you need to be close because of the crappy reach/ i dont know im just not sold on it.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:28 pm

well heres a good one of rosies where she dual wields the pgs... and its more recent so it doesn't have to go up against flipping giant moms.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 pm

meh, im sorry to all my catbros but most of them kinda suck, i know because sometimes i wish my back up wanst even there lol. the timess ive come up against a decent pvp'er i got owned and im not the greatest pvp'er(im ok at best) but if youre using a pgs and go up against a guy that' decent chances are youre gonna lose.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm

I'd play it how I play all my other "daggers", with the DWGR. The moveset is definitely better than the Bandits Kife, it breaks more poise than the Bandits Knife, and has a little more reach of course.

But in end (because of the reach) its really just a flashy knife, without the crits like you said. Its too good to discredit though. I use a falchion with my dex/pyro/bow, and if you couldn't roll cancel bleeds, I'd prolly use the pgs. But thats because I'm all "shoot arrow, roll, shoot, roll, fireball, 2hand r1 spaaaaaaaaam".

If you're not willing to succumb to the 2hand r1 spam, or play it all "stick and move" like a dagger, then you prolly wont see a lot of benefit imo. It is good at punishing fishers, but your playstyle might have evolved to not needing a backstab crutch, not that crutches are necessarily bad.

Last edited by Animaaal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:18 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    Juutas wrote:PGS is awesome.

but the r2 is the same as all the others curved swords(i think)

The R2's are almost exactly the same as the Gold Tracer. Which means parrying would be the same weakness. The only reason I really see to use it over the GT is buffing, but IMO there's always going to be something better to use. It's kinda cliche, but if I want something that's buffable, quick, and causes bleed, I'm probably going to go with either a katana or the Barbed SS. Both have better range, and I think better AR
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:52 pm

nope, the pgs is the strongest (pure ar wise) of the curved swords, its on par with a katana and out strips the barbed ss by about 50 ar, plus both those weapons are heavier.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:57 pm

^ I guess that's a good point. They are heavier, though I generally base my stats and armor around what weapon I want to use.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:^ I guess that's a good point. They are heavier, though I generally base my stats and armor around what weapon I want to use.

i try to never make a build around one weapon, greatlord gs build and ogs build are the two worse builds in the game, you cant use anything else besides those two and they get boring so fast.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:30 am

There absolutely are some awkward ones. I usually have a pretty good idea of what I want to do before I do it, and be versatile enough to warrant a character slot, at least these days. I've been looking over some of my older stuff recently and most of it is complete garbage. That's the beauty of mugenmonkey right?

I meant as far as weapon weight though. I'm not usually deterred by how much a weapon weighs, because most of my toons are set up to be able to carry several things in a general weight range. I'll usually be carrying 2 or 3 pieces of armor in every category of varying weights, so that if I want to switch my weapons up, and weight is a problem, I'll have another armor setup ready and upgraded to swap out. It definitely wouldn't be a reason for me to use the PGS over something I personally like better, like a katana, which generally means either the Iaoto or WP, the Gold Tracer, or the Barbed SS.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:19 am

PGS's R2's are actually unique, no other weapon has the same moveset.
    I think it is one of the best weapons to have as your back up weapon (I use it with my regular Scythe build) as a main weapon it has obvious weaknesses but based on my experiences it's very viable and always worth to sacrifice 1,5 weight for.

Just a quick summary:

Weakness of PGS:

1. Range
    2. No kick
    (3? Kinda S*itty after roll attack)

Strenght of PGS:

1. Speed
    2. Weight
    3. Damage
    4. Bleed
    5. Counters backstab attempts like a motherf*cker
    6. Stunlocks really quickly (if you are that sort of player)
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 am

Equip the Gold Tracer and the PGS in your weapon hand, and go back and forth with R2s. A couple of the moves are exactly the same, and the ones that aren't are similar enough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm