Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Automancer
Sentiel
Acarnatia
7 posters

Looking for advice on dual wielding

Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Looking for advice on dual wielding Empty Looking for advice on dual wielding

Post by Acarnatia Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:07 am

I'm working on a dual wielding character and I'm not familiar with the tactics that have been used to successfully do this. My build is this
    Sl 55

Vit 26
    Att 8
    End 25
    Str 24
    Dex 25
    Res 11
    Int 9
    Fai 9

I'm light rolling/ninja flipping ( I vary on rings ) and am wielding a Gold Tracer in my off-hand. What weapons do you suggest I use in my main hand?While I'm hoping to use a straight sword, I'm not sure if, because of their similar attack range, that is viable at all. Thanks!
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Looking for advice on dual wielding Empty Re: Looking for advice on dual wielding

Post by Sentiel Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 am

:shock:

First off there's a program called mugenmokey that you can use to theoretically create any build you want.
    link
    It's really easy to use.

Next.
    Why do you have 24 Str and 25 Dex? :suspect:

I know you need 25 Dex to use the Gold Tracer, but that weapon scales with Dex, meaning it will do a lot less damage than it will do on Dex 40. Using weapons that scale without having stats to back them up will make them do little damage and thus won't do you much good.

24 Str is for Zweihander I guess?
    You need only 16 to use that. You will have to use it in both hands, but not only it will do more damage that way, but the moveset is identical, no matter how you hold it.

If you want to use a curved sword like Gold Tracer I would recommend Falchion, or Scimitar, which do similar damage, however they don't have Bleed Aux. They do a horizontal slash, which is great to stop backstab attempts and they also can parry very quickly.

Lastly, on this SL make all your weapons elemental, they will do much more damage than scaling weapons with minimal stats. Picking between Fire and Lightning is entirely up to you, but it's best to have both for PvE purposes. In PvP, it doesn't matter that much which of the you use.

I'd go with something like this.

It seems I have gone ahead of myself. Prostration

To answer your original question.

I recomend using Balder Side Sword. It's very fast, has wide horizontal range of attacks, it's very long (if not the longest straight sword) and it's R2 is a powerful poke with incredible range.

Another interesting option can be Barbed Straight Sword. It is a very short straight sword, but it inflicts Bleed Aux, which will complement your Gold Tracer.

You can also use a spear. With your stats a Pike should work well and it has extremely long reach.

I hope this will help you. Bow
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Looking for advice on dual wielding Empty Re: Looking for advice on dual wielding

Post by Automancer Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Here's an example of my dual wielding build. http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=322692801231881377

What i do when i set up my build is to have a mix of slow and fast wepons. Vertical and horizontal attacking weapons and can be swapped amongst your main and offhand. If i have a vertical or forward thrusting weapon in my main hand, i'll have a horizontal swinging weapon on my off hand.

In your case, i would have an Estoc and a Claymore in your main hand. The different attack timings if you keep swapping tends to throw off your opponents. You could also have a halberd as a secondary off hand weapon for increased reach f you aren't playing with shields.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

You might want a weapon that can parry for your dual weilder too. As far as right hand weapons go, I suggest a dagger for backstabs, and the painting guardian sword for normal damage.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:42 pm

I know of and use mugen monkey; I just can't save anything on this computer :/
    The reason this character has so much strength is because I'm actually planning on ending at SL 60 (I'm keeping him 55 for the Ceaseless event) and will be one-handing a Greatsword, which requires 28 Str.
    I know about the superiority of elemental weapons at this SL; I am experienced enough to know the basics. I just haven't dual-wielded before.
    And in regards to the dagger-I can't parry in pvp yet. At all >.>
    I've used the Balder side sword. I like it. I also considered the Barbed straight sword, I just don't like the one-handed r2.
    Thank you!
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:51 pm

If that's the case, use the BSS as your secondary to compliment the slow speed of thr GS. Get an elemental Estoc for your off hand.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 pm

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=479485026167372947

theres extra weight left to play with if you'd prefer another weapon.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:53 pm

The point is I already have the build in the first post made and I'm not changing it. I'm asking for suggested weapons and tactics for this build.
    Now, to test this...
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Eliitti is probably the BEST dual wielder I have faced. You might get some dual wielding inspiration from to of my builds that showcase his skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_LC77c2pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSCTbd8szhQ
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:11 pm

With your stats, I'd prolly utilize the 24 strength one-handing a weapon.

SWORDS-Man Serpent/Zweh/Gravelord Sword
    SPEARS-Pike/Dragonslayer
    *Since you have the dex, I'd prolly go DSS.

The swords would break more poise of course, which might compliment the Gold Tracer pretty well.

If I were to use a spear in this situation, I'd prolly use it in my left hand, and Gold Tracer in right. I think the GT 2hand R1 would be more beneficial in that situation.

My 2 "sense".

Kudos for dual wielding.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 am