Primordial Serpent theory

    Share
    avatar
    GhosTAnoynmouS
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 16
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-04-17
    Location : abyss

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by GhosTAnoynmouS on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:54 pm

    just out of curiosity why do you say gough arrivved first followed by artorias and then ciaran? im not disagreeing or anything just curious what facts your drawing that from?


    _________________
    -honor-

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by alchemydesign on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:24 am

    There are no facts to support this but I believe that logically we can deduce that it was in that order. If something was afoot in Oolacile I think it would be likely that Gough would have volunteered to go check it out, we can make this assumption due to how he refers to it with a loving tone, he obviously favors Oolacile.

    When Gough is imprisoned there is no word to Anor Londo as to what is happening there we can assume that Artorias, being a proper knight (again, we can deduce this from Ciaran's recollection about how he would feel about her assumptions) would take up the cause to get to the bottom of things.

    Artorias arrives in Oolacile, sees what is going on, and actually finds Gough but Gough, being the gentle giant he is doesn't mind being imprisoned since he probably couldn't bring himself to harm his beloved captors. Artorias then continues into the abyss to face Manus and is corrupted. Gough continues to remain imprisoned at this, in my opinion, because he fears Artorias.

    Ciaran, obviously in love with Artorias, finds out about what has happened and follows after him, searching for her object of affection, only to find he has been corrupted and thusly slain by you. She then offers you her weapon in exchange for his soul. Being an assassin this is a pretty huge deal. That she would give up her life-tool for the soul of Artorias is pretty big.


    This is why I believe it happened in that order...it's not just about the text but the inflections of the speech. Plus it's really the only order that makes sense to me, but if you can present an alternate I'd be more than happy to listen happy.
    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Shkar on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 am

    Looking back on the one time I played through the DLC, didn't Gough say something about being retired?


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by alchemydesign on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:36 am

    Really, I think the most important thing to take from the whole DLC is how much Ciaran cares for Artorias. She gives up her blades, the very things she built her existence upon, is very telling about how much she cares for the wayward knight. Though, we could also assume that she just wanted the soul for some sort of gain, but I don't think so, otherwise she wouldn't give up her weapons.

    I think this also cements the fact that at this point Gwyn has linked the flames. Ciaran is willing to give up her trade tools for the soul of the one she loves because with Gwyn gone, most of the Gods leaving Anor Londo, and even Gough imprisoned, she is simply tired of going on with the tedium of things.

    Most people would say that the fact that there are bonfires would solidify the fact that Gwyn had linked the flames but I disagree, I think the bonfires exist in every land as a means to connect it to Lordran, home of the Gods, the only thing Gwyn achieves by linking them is boosting the light a minimal amount, like taking 2-3 small torches to make a fire....I expound on this theory in another post somewhere, but I just wanted to put it out there again.

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by alchemydesign on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:39 am

    I imagine that he probably was retired but he has a soft spot for Oolacile, again listen to his inflections, he is obviously depressed or regretful that there is no place for him with the dragons gone, I believe that may have been a big motivator. When he became "locked" in the tower he just resigned to spend his days there...you can't tell me you actually believe that that tower could hold him.
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Dutchy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:31 am

    Kingseeker Frampt refers to himself a lot as "The Primordial Serpent" As if there is only one. Now, whether this is to state the truth that Kaathe and Frampt are one being is an option, but it could be he says this so that the Chosen Undead does not go looking for another Serpent (i.e. Kaathe) to learn the "Truth" (Or lie, no-one knows). This sounds more likely because Frampt is a deceiving bastard.

    Offtopic: I was at Firelink shrine the other day headed to the Undead Asylum when I saw the most disturbing thing. There are two eggs in the birds nest, and when the Camera is positioned in a certain way, the eggs, nest and Frampt come together to form a rather believable Phallis! I'm serious. Take a look for yourself. It sure gave me a laugh.


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1046
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-05-25
    Age : 24
    Location : Great Britain

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Onion Knight on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 pm

    alchemydesign wrote:Well, I've given up trying to convince anyone otherwise, but as a final hurrah, the Oolacile Gardeners are scarecrows, wooden artifacts imbued with magic...darkroots ents are ents...demon trees...the buildings have different dimensions...the so called kalameet/hydra ladders are in totally different orientations, if you stand with the ladder to the left of you and face away from kalameet you see a huge cliff face...if you do the same in darkroot...stand with the ladder to your left and face to the back of the hydra you see a huge cove...sooooo, take what you will from that....plus the oolacile sanctuary area is too small to be Sif's arena, as well as it is surrounded by high cliff walls....MUCH higher than Sif;s arena.



    Anyhow, like I said, I'm done trying to convince anyone otherwise...there are too many things that go one way or another...I believe 100% in my correctness however, so with a handshake and a bow I shall not discuss this any further.


    -Artorias' memorial ('fake grave') found in Darkroot forest.
    -Enchanted ember found in Darkroot forest. 'This enchanted ember, a form of sorcery, is a vestige of the lost land of Oolacile.'
    -Dusks corpse as well as vestige from past summoning sign located in Darkroot basin.
    -Alvina and Sif located in both Oolacile and Darkroot forest.
    -Cirian located in Oolacile, whilst a corpse with her ring on it located in Darkroot forest.
    -Sentient mushroom's located in both Oolacile and Darkroot forest.
    -Stone Guardian's located in both Oolacile and Darkroot garden.
    -Sentient tree's located in both Oolacile and Darkroot forest and garden.
    -Manus pulls you back into the time of Oolacile from the location of Darkroot basin.

    The evidence is incredibly strong almost borderline overwhelming that the ruins Oolacile are located in the Darkroot region and that's before we nitpick architecture/flora/area/magic lore similarities e.t.c


    _________________
    Steam: OnionKnight
    PSN: Bohemond-Antioch93
    Youtube: Balthier Ivalice

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by alchemydesign on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:56 pm

    Wow, thank you, where is that from? It's soooo much easier with a map view. happy I stand corrected on the places not being the same. As far as construction differences it wouldn't matter because I was basing my argument on is no longer valid as it assumed that the Alvina section was on the South side of the Ravine but we see it is not. Well done.
    avatar
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1046
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-05-25
    Age : 24
    Location : Great Britain

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Onion Knight on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:27 pm

    alchemydesign wrote:Wow, thank you, where is that from? It's soooo much easier with a map view. happy I stand corrected on the places not being the same. As far as construction differences it wouldn't matter because I was basing my argument on is no longer valid as it assumed that the Alvina section was on the South side of the Ravine but we see it is not. Well done.

    Dark Souls 3d map viewer, I don't have the version that has the DLC on it though so I can't help you with that one. It's probably around somewhere though.
    The version I have : mediafire.com ?b6kqp19eqo61o98
    It's pretty useful when you're researching lore.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTB5vhKGSI


    _________________
    Steam: OnionKnight
    PSN: Bohemond-Antioch93
    Youtube: Balthier Ivalice

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by alchemydesign on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:38 pm

    it really is soooo much easier to have it laid out like that it, makes it a lot clearer...however, while I do secede to them being the same place, I don't think that it's spatial alignment is proper, I think Bonfires act as a sort of space warp, connecting a certain radius to Lordran allowing access to the Gods...this is kinda hard to explain though. At least, how I mean it...
    avatar
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1046
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-05-25
    Age : 24
    Location : Great Britain

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Onion Knight on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm

    You should probably start a new thread for that theory or try sounding it off with people? Anyway, enough with my off-topic derailing, time for the serpent discussion to continue.


    _________________
    Steam: OnionKnight
    PSN: Bohemond-Antioch93
    Youtube: Balthier Ivalice
    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by DE5PA1R on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:36 am

    Did anyone point out the importance of the Caduceus shields, and the fact that you find one right next to Frampt?


    _________________
    Vids: youtube.com/de5pa1r

    Articles: medium.com/@de5pa1r

    Tweets: twitter.com/de5pa1r

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by alchemydesign on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:42 am

    What do you mean? All it says is that the giant trees of Lordran are related to the ancient archtrees. Which would make sense that the Gods would try to carry on with the trees.
    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by DE5PA1R on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:52 am

    Talking about the designs on the shields. Should've clarified.

    The caduceus is a symbol of a serpent with 2 heads. It's the symbol of heralds, messengers, merchants, gamblers, shepherds, liars, thieves, and guides of the dead.


    _________________
    Vids: youtube.com/de5pa1r

    Articles: medium.com/@de5pa1r

    Tweets: twitter.com/de5pa1r

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by alchemydesign on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:15 am

    Oh, yeah, hm, that is interesting, never put those two together, it's hard to say, it's not very useful unless it's only there simply as symbolic gesture.
    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by DE5PA1R on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:21 am

    alchemydesign wrote:Oh, yeah, hm, that is interesting, never put those two together, it's hard to say, it's not very useful unless it's only there simply as symbolic gesture.

    That's what almost all of the lore is. Location of item is very significant, and so is the obviously relevant mythology that inspired many of the plot lines.


    _________________
    Vids: youtube.com/de5pa1r

    Articles: medium.com/@de5pa1r

    Tweets: twitter.com/de5pa1r

    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 305
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-03-15
    Age : 34
    Location : Louisa, KY

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by alchemydesign on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:47 am

    Yeah, and it would also point to a couple of different things...if you look at the shield the serpent image is in a U shape, connected in the lower-bound apex pointing out that they are indeed a single entity. But also if you take the image of our current caduceus (two serpents intertwined around a staff) then you could draw the conclusion that while the serpents may be separate they are involved in the one goal, signifying that both endings are the same end...no good, no bad...at least as far as they are concerned.
    avatar
    Solid Knight
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 25
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-05

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Solid Knight on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:31 am

    The problem with the theory of all the primordial serpents being one entity is that the game uses "a primordial serpent" which indicates that is possible for there to be more than one.
    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Shkar on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:15 am

    Solid Knight wrote:The problem with the theory of all the primordial serpents being one entity is that the game uses "a primordial serpent" which indicates that is possible for there to be more than one.

    No, they say "the."

    I may have said it here before, but I still lean towards the theory that both serpents are trying different methods to get the CU to return the Lord Souls to the flame (The Lordvessel connects, after all; it's a bonfire).


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Dutchy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:26 am

    Just talked to Kaathe, he says "the other serpent, Kingseeker Frampt"


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by DE5PA1R on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:44 am

    Dutchy wrote:Just talked to Kaathe, he says "the other serpent, Kingseeker Frampt"

    Can't trust either of them tho, especially about this.


    _________________
    Vids: youtube.com/de5pa1r

    Articles: medium.com/@de5pa1r

    Tweets: twitter.com/de5pa1r
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Dutchy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:51 am

    Yeah, just putting it out there


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47

    Sponsored content

    Re: Primordial Serpent theory

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 pm