Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Quality build with or without buff?

Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Quality build with or without buff? Empty Quality build with or without buff?

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 pm

I've recently started my first quality build on Dark Souls, it isn't finished yet but this is what I plan to end with if I use a buff

Overview of the build:

• With 32 intelligence and the Tin Crystallization Catalyst, Crystal Magic Weapon will add 355.6 magic AR to my weapon. (1.4 * 254)

• I'm going to be medium rolling for something new but I made sure to stay under 33.3% for fastest medium roll.

• I'm using the wolf ring for extra poise but if the situation calls for fast roll, Havel's ring allows me to do that even if I add gauntlets.

• The 33 vitality is compensated for by Ring of Fap and Mask of the Mother (Don't start!)

• I've been maining the Claymore and the Halberd, since they both weigh the same, I'll be menu swapping them. I'll also be switching up my gear regularly to make full of use the build.

This seems like a decent build in my opinion, but I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just cap at SL 100 with no buff or SL 120 with the buff. I'd really like to get someone's opinion on this.

This is the current, unfinished build

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Quality build with or without buff? Empty Re: Quality build with or without buff?

Post by User1 Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Definately need some attunement slots for CMW and possible GMW first. Basically, yes, you should buff.
    SillentShadow
    SillentShadow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Quality build with or without buff? Empty Re: Quality build with or without buff?

Post by SillentShadow Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:13 pm

I believe you are searching for the best of both worlds Melee + Buff, but remember those extra 20 levels will get you stronger but your oponent will also be stronger... And for some builds 300 extra magica damage will not do wonders since the magic defence will be allways greataer than 200 in pvp... So i am guessing in therms of damage you will do some extra 100.... Is it worth?
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:23 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Definately need some attunement slots for CMW and possible GMW first. Basically, yes, you should buff.

I only need 1 attunement slot for the buff, and if I need another cast I can switch to the sorcerer's catalyst for 280 magic AR

SillentShadow wrote: for some builds 300 extra magica damage will not do wonders since the magic defence will be allways greataer than 200 in pvp... So i am guessing in therms of damage you will do some extra 100.... Is it worth?

I'd say it's worth it. Defense in this game isn't calculated like that, if that were true, daggers and other low damaging weapons wouldn't do any damage at all.
    SillentShadow
    SillentShadow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SillentShadow Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Dj-B-Man-Jr wrote:
    RenegadeCop wrote:Definately need some attunement slots for CMW and possible GMW first. Basically, yes, you should buff.

I only need 1 attunement slot for the buff, and if I need another cast I can switch to the sorcerer's catalyst for 280 magic AR

SillentShadow wrote: for some builds 300 extra magica damage will not do wonders since the magic defence will be allways greataer than 200 in pvp... So i am guessing in therms of damage you will do some extra 100.... Is it worth?

I'd say it's worth it. Defense in this game isn't calculated like that, if that were true, daggers and other low damaging weapons wouldn't do any damage at all.

I know it isnt 300 - 200 = 100..... Otherwise some weapons would not do any damage at all...

Consider this from MY experience with darkmoon blade and 30 faith (nearly the same AR as that build)if i hit without buff for 200dam, i will hit for 300 with buff against most players this is what i meant, so you will get 100 damage more in average, i say again IN AVERAGE, wich obviously could be more or less depending on your opponents defence.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm

My computer's not agreeing with MugenMonkey right now, so:
    Starting Class: Wanderer
    35 Vit (I may have this and End both 1 point lower and Str 2 points higher)
    18 Att
    35 End
    20 Str
    22 Dex
    12 Res
    32 Int
    8 Fai

Right Hand 1: anything with a Str requirement of 20 or less
    Right Hand 2: Sorcerer's/Izalith/Beatrice's Catalyst, Pyromancer's Flame, Velka's Talisman
    2-Handed: Any Ultra Greatsword
    Left hand 1: Dragon/Crest Shield, Black Knight Shield, Cadacaus Kite Shield
    Left Hand 2: Sorcerer's/Izalith/Beatrice's Catalyst, Pyromancer's Flame

This is the build for my main character. I prefer the Sunlight Straight Sword and Balder Side Sword for one-handed weapons in most situations, (I have a fetish for symmetrical weapons) a chaos scythe for bosses with tails, (it works great for cutting tails) the Black Knight Greatsword, (especially on chaos demons) and various catalysts for whatever spells I'm currently equipped with. With this build I can use most sorceries and all pyromancies. (though I generally only use Black Flame because its speed barely changes with Dex and it works very well as an off-hand dual wielding attack on people that are turtling) I've had great success with this setup.

On your build, CMW is wasted on a greatsword at 32 Int; the damage is almost identical to a chaos (insert specific greatsword here) and then my damage is on a timer; it's just better to use an elemental greatsword unless my Int is way higher than 32.
    I also strongly advise you to not use the tin crystallization catalyst on a spellsword; while it's too heavy, the main drawback is that it halves the number of casts you have. Depending on the particular fight, I may cast it at least two times, and then I have to rest between EVERY fight. Just go with the Sorcerer's/Beatrice's/Izalith catalyst.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm

If going SL 100 try GMW and DB at 16 Int. Use Giant hands for 91 poise if mid rolling.
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Acarnatia wrote:

On your build, CMW is wasted on a greatsword at 32 Int; the damage is almost identical to a chaos (insert specific greatsword here) and then my damage is on a timer; it's just better to use an elemental greatsword unless my Int is way higher than 32.
    I also strongly advise you to not use the tin crystallization catalyst on a spellsword; while it's too heavy, the main drawback is that it halves the number of casts you have. Depending on the particular fight, I may cast it at least two times, and then I have to rest between EVERY fight. Just go with the Sorcerer's/Beatrice's/Izalith catalyst.

I disagree, The point of this build is to deal very high damage with scaling and adding on to that with a buff. That means having the highest possible buff with the least amount of stats. The Tin crystallization allows me to do that, even at 50 intelligence, nothing surpasses the Tin's magic adjustment at 32 intel, making it the best catalyst for the buff. Remember that weapon buffs only scale with your magic adjustment, not your intelligence. I'll be menu swapping the catalyst with the composite bow once the buff is applied so its weight isn't an issue either.
    Also, and unbuffed claymore 2-handed (with 27 str gives me 40) and 40 dex does much more damage than any chaos greatsword, especially with an extra 355 AR from the buff.

CMW is hardly wasted on this build. It isn't going to me my main source of damage, so even when it wears off I'm good.
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 pm

WyrmHero wrote:If going SL 100 try GMW and DB at 16 Int. Use Giant hands for 91 poise if mid rolling.

I was thinking about using Great Magic Weapon, I just don't know if it'd be worth it though. I won't be using any offensive magic and I'm trying to stay below 33.3% equip weight for the fastest posssible medium roll.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am