Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
skarekrow13
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Yukon
ClassicBlaze
Sloth9230
Hue
GrinTwist
Coryf2209
12 posters

What's Up With Dusk?

Coryf2209
    Coryf2209
    Addicted
    Addicted

What's Up With Dusk? Empty What's Up With Dusk?

Post by Coryf2209 Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:55 pm

I feel I'm missing something obvious, but why was she trapped in the golem, and why does she appear after Manus is killed? What sort of relationship did Elizabeth have with her?(I'm pretty sure this was said in-game, but I probably forgot)
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

What's Up With Dusk? Empty Re: What's Up With Dusk?

Post by GrinTwist Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Apparently she is the princess of Oolacile. Elizabeth is something of a guardian for her.

From what I've heard from others the reason why she is in the Golem is because of Seath (go figure). Since Seath is becoming immortal he normally sends out his minions to abduct women. Dusk is a woman and because of this the gold golem is there to kidnap her and bring her back to the Duke's Archives.

I don't exactly know what connects Dusk and Manus though.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 pm

I have a harder question, why is the broken pendant in the first Archives golem?
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Hachouma wrote:I have a harder question, why is the broken pendant in the first Archives golem?

Seath has clearly decided to troll Manus.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:48 pm

I have a feeling that that certain pendant had something to do with Oolacilian magic the same way the pendant that we can start off with in the beginning has something to do with faith in the Way of White covenant.

Or maybe we weren't the only ones being trolled by From Soft.

ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Im also curious about Dusk...I have no idea as to why Manus would kidnap her...I mean, that thing is basicaly a monster, surely he wasnt planning on demanding a ransom.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 pm

I was under the impression that Manus took Dusk because she was tampering with something she shouldn't have been, which caused the abyss to be released on Oolacile, she just happened to be the closest thing in proximity so he took her. Also, if the other females in the game are anything to go off of, she was probably brimming with humanity. Making her all the more attractive to Manus as a 'host'. or whatever.

My knowledge on the DLC lore is lacking though, this is just the impression I got through my first play through of it.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm

It is suggested Manus isn't some mindless beast so, therefore, kidnapping the princess of the land you're infesting doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

I, personally, think the reasons he has her are primarily poetic. Y'know, light vs dark, white vs black, beauty vs beast, etc...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Clearly he was tired of his oversized abyss ridden hand. And now that the inappropriate humor is out of the way....

I also got the impression (though I haven't really dug into it) that she was up to something he didn't exactly approve of. I would imagine that Dusk and the Broken Pendant both have a similar history. Either they have both been trapped since the Manus affair, or they both traveled through time.

Anyway, if they both time travel my vote is that they did it together. Perhaps Dusk took it from him in an attempt to stop him or something. Maybe she broke it to loosen his grip (pun clearly intended) on Oolacile just enough to where help could be sought.
    ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Her entire land is being consumed by the Abyss, its inhabitants became mindless monsters...yet she remains unharmed...Manus must have had a purpose for her...what if there is still some sanity left in him?
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Well, remember the information we got from Hawkeye Gough; "But, seduced by a Dark serpent or no, they awoke that thing themselves, and drove it mad. …One's demise is always one's own making."
    And then Chester gives us a little more information: "Believe it or not… Oolacile has brought the Abyss upon itself. Fooled by that toothy serpent, they upturned the grave of primeval man, and incited his ornery wrath. What could they have been thinking?
    "But to you and I, it's all ancient history. You have to ask yourself. Does it really matter? Heh heh heh…"
    The Oolacilians obviously did something that got Manus upset; it seems to have been messing with his grave. As for his reasons for taking Dusk, let's look at what she and Elizabeth actually say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh2cwoCzbX4
    Mike5005005
    Mike5005005
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Mike5005005 Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Arcarnatia, what did they say? I'm at work and can't watch it now.
    Thanks!
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Spoiler:

Edit: Disregard the above, the Soul of Manus description throws that speculation out.

"Soul of Manus, Father of the Abyss. This extraordinary soul is a viscous, lukewarm lump of gentile humanity.
    Ancient Manus was clearly once human. But he became the Father of the Abyss after his humanity went wild, eternally seeking his precious broken pendant."

Last edited by densetsushun on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Dusk actually says that the emotions she sensed from Manus suggested to her that he was intelligent, longing for something, (the broken pendant?) which suggests to her a level of intelligence-how much, she is uncertain of. She also remarks on the similarity between the chosen undead and Artorias (actually you) and gets a little confused. Elizabeth apparently never told Dusk who actually saved her from Manus
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Dusk actually says that the emotions she sensed from Manus suggested to her that he was intelligent, longing for something, (the broken pendant?) which suggests to her a level of intelligence-how much, she is uncertain of. She also remarks on the similarity between the chosen undead and Artorias (actually you) and gets a little confused. Elizabeth apparently never told Dusk who actually saved her from Manus
    I get the feeling that's not all Elizabeth's hiding from Dusk. Being a something of a god mother to Dusk, she'd naturally want to protect Dusk from a potentially difficult truth.
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:18 pm

Hmmmmmm speculation indeed. Manus' humanity ran wild and he searches obsessively for a broken talisman.

It is of my opinion that Manus was the first recipient of the Dark Soul, and a rather large piece of it at that, he was most likely an experiment to see if the Soul could be broken down. Now, things get a little more muddled, the Broken Pendant...it was either a seal against the grave of Manus, or a means of controlling his humanity, naturally he'd want it back if it were the latter and he still had some sentience left. If it was the former then I imagine Dusk and her ilk broke it (which would explain why he would be rather put out by her).

As for Dusk herself...Seath, being who he is, would know exactly what happened to Oolacile, once he discovered how, he managed to snatch her out of the time stream trying to stop the breaking of the seal to Manus, but failed and got the Dusk from AFTER the breaking of the seal. So, he puts her in one golem and safeguards the talisman from going back in time by placing it in another golem closer to his guard.

/endspeculatorycraziness

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am