My experience in the forest... as a host

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: My experience in the forest... as a host

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:41 am

Oh, speaking of quitting and reloading... I noticed another fun aspect of hosting in the forest. After a while there's invariably a lull, the fog wall stays up, of course. But, you can stand there for like 5 minutes without getting invaded. Quitting and reloading seems to guarantee two invaders in your first 15 seconds or so back, however.

Messengers of Velka proudly allied with: The Exiled  Coffee! MoV Chat Coffee!
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:Oh, speaking of quitting and reloading... I noticed another fun aspect of hosting in the forest. After a while there's invariably a lull, the fog wall stays up, of course. But, you can stand there for like 5 minutes without getting invaded. Quitting and reloading seems to guarantee two invaders in your first 15 seconds or so back, however.

It does. I'd have to leave the forest, to restock or w/e, and I'd have to reload right by the gate if I wanted to make it out before the next invasion.

AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:36 am

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:Oh, speaking of quitting and reloading... I noticed another fun aspect of hosting in the forest. After a while there's invariably a lull, the fog wall stays up, of course. But, you can stand there for like 5 minutes without getting invaded. Quitting and reloading seems to guarantee two invaders in your first 15 seconds or so back, however.

What system do you play on? I seem to get this on Xbox no matter where I host, it seems failed invasions and delayed invasions become almost guaranteed if I survive more than 3 or 4 invaders. It sounds like you ran into someone who was more interested in trolling than fighting. Personally I find it infuriating when I host solo anywhere and end up with an invader who runs and hides but usually a message via chat will lure them out.

The way I've always seen it is pvp in the Forest is like throwing yourself to the dogs, it'll always hurt you in the end but it can be a hell of a ride and its the fastest way to learn to run with the wolves -so to speak.
    FlorisFreakshow
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FlorisFreakshow on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:38 am

I am camping in the Forest for a week now.
    I am not the invader type...
    Its gang or be ganked imo.
    Maybe 1% is fair fighter?
    Always 1v1, 2v1, 1v2 or 2v2...
    Anyway, when i am alone i have 80% chance to die....
    When i am winning they will retreat to heal and w8 on a friend.

I like a new game...
    It annois invaders.
    4 i hate BSsers!
    As soon as they land one i eat a mushroom and run off to Sif or the Basin...
    If i make it to the Boss, i win ...
    The hunters job is to catch their prey, the invader must return with my humanity, when they do not, they loose...

Am i afraid? Yes!
    Am i a noob? Yes!
    Do i die? Yes!
    Having fun? Yes!

Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:51 am

You are lucky. In 50 fights I get 10 who hide to ambush me, 2 who jump into the basin (i dc these people), 6 who hide to gang up on me, 25 who bs fish (all of those and more try to chain bs) and maybe 4 who don't gang up on me given the chance.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Since those first 50 fights, my experience there has varied greatly. It's safe to say I spoke too soon. Maybe I'll try dark Anor Londo next? silly

KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by KingSeekerCow on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 pm

I was in the Forest as a Hunter on my 85, but I did not equip the ring because it is so annoying when I was doing something myself to get "summoned", but I got invaded by someone. I stand completely still by Alvina area and had the ring of fog equipped. The invader suicide because he/she couldn't find me. I thought it was hilarious.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 am

AzureCrow wrote:

What system do you play on? I seem to get this on Xbox no matter where I host, it seems failed invasions and delayed invasions become almost guaranteed if I survive more than 3 or 4 invaders. It sounds like you ran into someone who was more interested in trolling than fighting. Personally I find it infuriating when I host solo anywhere and end up with an invader who runs and hides but usually a message via chat will lure them out.

The way I've always seen it is pvp in the Forest is like throwing yourself to the dogs, it'll always hurt you in the end but it can be a hell of a ride and its the fastest way to learn to run with the wolves -so to speak.

PS3

When I'm waiting for a friend for pre-arranged co-op or trading I'm not in the mood to fight invaders. Besides I haven't killed any enemies, so I'm kinda cornered and the invader can retreat to heal easily (though; that gives me a chance to log out silly -- I will not chase or wait unless I know I'm going to win). I quit and reload in that situation a lot. And, if you do it a couple of times you can reload and the fog will be up already and you will get invaded immediately and be unable to quit in the game menu. So, it is very similar to everywhere else. But in the forest because there's a never ending supply of invaders; you get double invaded right away the first time you quit. I can usually reload once or twice and not be immediately invaded outside the forest.

As for that guy who wouldn't engage me... I barely got 1000 souls for killing him maybe, like 2200. But I think it was only 1200 or so. And he never healed, so I assume his character was brand new. He was willing to at least get close enough to use a bunch of magic until I got close. I think he realized that I was at a pretty high level and thought he could piggy-back someone else's kill for a nice score in souls -- though even if I did die the return on time invested would have been low. lol! Maybe he was experienced and just figured he didn't have to heal if he wasn't going to fight. It's one of those things... he either knew what he was doing or had no clue, but it didn't really feel like he was trolling.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:47 am

Sloth9230 wrote:Since those first 50 fights, my experience there has varied greatly. It's safe to say I spoke too soon. Maybe I'll try dark Anor Londo next? silly
    Its not any different I'd wager. Mightbe more stealthers. ROF+dark londo makes one incredibly difficult to spot.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 am

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Sloth9230 wrote:Since those first 50 fights, my experience there has varied greatly. It's safe to say I spoke too soon. Maybe I'll try dark Anor Londo next? silly
    Its not any different I'd wager. Mightbe more stealthers. ROF+dark londo makes one incredibly difficult to spot.

Yeah, I got fed up with that and trying to get close enough to lock on without getting lagstabbed in the royal sentinel hallway. So a while back I decided to run to the rotating staircase against 2 gankers -- mainly just to troll them/waste their time as punishment for ganking. I a bad feeling and wasn't really confident. I ended up killing them both and liked who the fight played out.

It's a lot lighter outside and the walkway is narrow enough to stay locked unless they retreat. That's now standard dark anor londo operating procedure for me; I run to the stairs go up and tell them where I am. Let them find me and fight on my terms. If they summon a phantom I tell them to get 2 lol! I'd have some great vids, too if I could record... oh, man...

btw, sloth... sorry 'bout your rough run... but I did warn you about winking

Last edited by Hugh_G_Johnson on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 am

I usually find Forest Hunters to be the most honorable of invaders, after Gravelords.

BotDM is always the worst for some reason. May just be personality type.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:50 pm