Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Share
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:24 pm


    • Upon watching the Dark Souls 2 video, I fell in love with the simple yet epic design of the warrior in the trailer. I noticed how he wielded his single long sword beautifully, and later on did some pretty epic dual wielding action.

      I want to do the best to recreate that feeling. So I wanted to make an unconventional build that focused on dual wielding. Not dual katanas, but dual longswords. Furthermore it would have to be a dual longsword build with cool yet simple armor.

      (or single longsword, prob 2hing its fine too)

    However, since I can't test it out personally myself, or have the spare time to do extensive testing I would be much obliged if someone could post a build of your own that fits the below criteria's.



    • Looks heroic, and not like a flashy elite character (my reasoning behind this, and i'm sure a lot of people who are into fiction know, is that main characters/ heroes rarely wear super flashy armor (although their skills are flashy).
    • Has a cool and most importantly fun combat style

    If someone makes a build, sends an image etc, that looks good I'll make draw a picture of it, partly because I want to, and also partly to thank you ^.^

    Help would be appreciated, thank you!
    avatar
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 673
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-01-07
    Age : 25
    Location : Sunlight Shrine

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by Ashran on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:27 pm

    Well i think i could try this with my sunbro. It sounds fun.


    _________________

    “There is real beauty in Dark Souls. It reveals that life is more suffering than pleasure, more failure than success, and that even the momentary relief of achievement is wiped away by new levels of difficulty. It is also a testament to our persistence in the face of that suffering. “
    avatar
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3627
    Reputation : 144
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 23
    Location : World 4-2 Demon Souls

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 pm

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=263985562281079325

    what about this? i tried to mimic the armor in the trailer while hitting good mobility and poise.


    _________________
    ლ(ಠ_ಠლ) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

    BagerX2
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 271
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2013-01-15
    Age : 28
    Location : Montgomery TX

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by BagerX2 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 am

    I will watch this. I have loved the simple yet useful longsword for a while now, but have never made a build around it. I have also never messed with dual weapons. This idea interest me greatly. I am lousy with builds, but this is what I came up with Link. I like the warrior starting gear, this pic of it is great, and the elite knight stuff looks good with it. As what I have done stands there is room to do a little tweaking on the way up to the SL 120 mark.
    avatar
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1523
    Reputation : 69
    Join date : 2012-05-05
    Location : Tama

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by Rifter7 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 am

    usually you dual wield a weapon that supplements your 1hand moveset.. having another longsword will probably not do that.

    i don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but consider looking at different weapons to see what works.


    _________________
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:57 am

    What are viable moveset combos?

    I personally like the reach of the balder swag swords r2

    so if its wielded in the right and another longsword type weapon to supplement ...


    This is a build I thought up of

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=298933226138486536

    The 26 int is for crystal magic weapon, and maximizing the catalyst adjust, and the strong magic shield would be able to buff the shield arm sword if you really needed it, as it raises resists.


    Also since most longswords are mainly affected by dex, it's okay for str to be a bit low imo.
    Although I'm not to sastified with it as it'll be hard to compete at sl125 at all, and I haven't tested it yet.

    I'm split on whether to add on a ROF, instead of the blue tearstone to raise equip burden a bit more, and keep a fast roll. But I do think blue tearstone would save your @ss a lot especially since you don't have a shield.
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 am

    sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=263985562281079325

    what about this? i tried to mimic the armor in the trailer while hitting good mobility and poise.



    Oh!, totally didn't notice how similar the elite knight leggings and the giant headpieces upper parts looks like the trailers. Awesome ^.^
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by WyrmHero on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 am

    AzureTear wrote:What are viable moveset combos?

    I personally like the reach of the balder swag swords r2

    so if its wielded in the right and another longsword type weapon to supplement ...


    This is a build I thought up of

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=298933226138486536

    The 26 int is for crystal magic weapon, and maximizing the catalyst adjust, and the strong magic shield would be able to buff the shield arm sword if you really needed it, as it raises resists.


    Also since most longswords are mainly affected by dex, it's okay for str to be a bit low imo.
    Although I'm not to sastified with it as it'll be hard to compete at sl125 at all, and I haven't tested it yet.

    I'm split on whether to add on a ROF, instead of the blue tearstone to raise equip burden a bit more, and keep a fast roll. But I do think blue tearstone would save your @ss a lot especially since you don't have a shield.

    I don't think Strong Magic Shield buffs offhand weapons, I could be wrong though. Rifter is right, you usually offhand a weapon that it's used as backup and complement the main weapon moveset. Good examples are spears, murakumo and crossbows. First try the moveset on a build that can weild the swords beford making the build in case you get disappointed.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:26 am

    WyrmHero wrote:
    AzureTear wrote:What are viable moveset combos?

    I personally like the reach of the balder swag swords r2

    so if its wielded in the right and another longsword type weapon to supplement ...


    This is a build I thought up of

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=298933226138486536

    The 26 int is for crystal magic weapon, and maximizing the catalyst adjust, and the strong magic shield would be able to buff the shield arm sword if you really needed it, as it raises resists.


    Also since most longswords are mainly affected by dex, it's okay for str to be a bit low imo.
    Although I'm not to sastified with it as it'll be hard to compete at sl125 at all, and I haven't tested it yet.

    I'm split on whether to add on a ROF, instead of the blue tearstone to raise equip burden a bit more, and keep a fast roll. But I do think blue tearstone would save your @ss a lot especially since you don't have a shield.

    I don't think Strong Magic Shield buffs offhand weapons, I could be wrong though. Rifter is right, you usually offhand a weapon that it's used as backup and complement the main weapon moveset. Good examples are spears, murakumo and crossbows. First try the moveset on a build that can weild the swords beford making the build in case you get disappointed.


    Reinforces the equipped shield or weapon able to block in the left hand with a stronger magic effect. Works on all types of shields (even unique or upgraded to any path) and on all weapons able to block while on the left hand (even unique or upgraded to any path).
    Reduces the stamina used to deflect a hit considerably (only on shields) and improves all the resistances of the shield or weapon enchanted to 100%.

    -According to the wiki

    Also that's partly why I put the silver knight spear in there too. I am going to try out dual longsword combinations on one of my chars with the balder swag, its so annoying to get QQ.
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by WyrmHero on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:45 am

    That's interesting.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:12 am

    WyrmHero wrote:That's interesting.

    exactly, I think it's a novel idea to be using a sword to have resistance and block while also parrying in addition to attacking.

    Although you'll be sacrificing making your weapon stronger, you'll get a bunch of utility, being able to do everything a shield can do (albeit less effectively) but attack also.

    Haven't tested so don't know how effective it is.
    avatar
    LeftoverPie2

    Posts : 2
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-01-20
    Age : 24
    Location : Yes

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by LeftoverPie2 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:30 am

    I would certainly go 40/40 for a build focused entirely on the longsword. I love the weapon, but I can't handle not being able to parry haha. I offhand the estoc and have a claymore as my secondary to two hand if i need to block. I'm sure you could make a dual longsword character work any way you want it to, but I recommend fighting without buffs man. It's a lot more rewarding to beat people down with your skill and precision alone I think, instead of only being able to win against people you could spam on with your buff. Also you're more prone to make mistakes if you place that kind of time limit on yourself! The longsword is a great quality weapon and just like the description says, delivers good consistent damage. If you're on xbox, I'd love to face your dual longsword build!
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by WyrmHero on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:36 am

    LeftoverPie2 wrote:I would certainly go 40/40 for a build focused entirely on the longsword. I love the weapon, but I can't handle not being able to parry haha. I offhand the estoc and have a claymore as my secondary to two hand if i need to block. I'm sure you could make a dual longsword character work any way you want it to, but I recommend fighting without buffs man. It's a lot more rewarding to beat people down with your skill and precision alone I think, instead of only being able to win against people you could spam on with your buff. Also you're more prone to make mistakes if you place that kind of time limit on yourself! The longsword is a great quality weapon and just like the description says, delivers good consistent damage. If you're on xbox, I'd love to face your dual longsword build!

    And people will usually turtle/dodge spam till your buff runs out. I usually use buffs when my opponent buffs as well, so we both are at same ground. I forgot to mention that Strong Magic Shield lasts like 15 seconds, which is lame.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:37 am

    LeftoverPie2 wrote:I would certainly go 40/40 for a build focused entirely on the longsword. I love the weapon, but I can't handle not being able to parry haha. I offhand the estoc and have a claymore as my secondary to two hand if i need to block. I'm sure you could make a dual longsword character work any way you want it to, but I recommend fighting without buffs man. It's a lot more rewarding to beat people down with your skill and precision alone I think, instead of only being able to win against people you could spam on with your buff. Also you're more prone to make mistakes if you place that kind of time limit on yourself! The longsword is a great quality weapon and just like the description says, delivers good consistent damage. If you're on xbox, I'd love to face your dual longsword build!

    Yes I am on xbox,

    I guess making a pure melee build would feel quite rewarding also, and you can't parry offhand with a longsword type weapon?

    Hm, I'll take it into consideration, I would love to play you also as soon as I get this build up and running.
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:39 am

    WyrmHero wrote:
    LeftoverPie2 wrote:I would certainly go 40/40 for a build focused entirely on the longsword. I love the weapon, but I can't handle not being able to parry haha. I offhand the estoc and have a claymore as my secondary to two hand if i need to block. I'm sure you could make a dual longsword character work any way you want it to, but I recommend fighting without buffs man. It's a lot more rewarding to beat people down with your skill and precision alone I think, instead of only being able to win against people you could spam on with your buff. Also you're more prone to make mistakes if you place that kind of time limit on yourself! The longsword is a great quality weapon and just like the description says, delivers good consistent damage. If you're on xbox, I'd love to face your dual longsword build!

    And people will usually turtle/dodge spam till your buff runs out. I usually use buffs when my opponent buffs as well, so we both are at same ground. I forgot to mention that Strong Magic Shield lasts like 15 seconds, which is lame.

    True, but Strong Magic shields length can be extended by lingering dragoncrest, neutralizes all damage and stamina cost, raises deflection, and works on modified weapons also I believe (minus deflection).

    But yeah your right, smart people would just stall till the buff ran out.
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by WyrmHero on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:46 am

    I just checked the moveset for you. Normal attack is a block and strong attack is a swipe very similar to the normal attack when used main hand. An useful combo I found is strong attack thrust + offhand swipe.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:00 am

    WyrmHero wrote:I just checked the moveset for you. Normal attack is a block and strong attack is a swipe very similar to the normal attack when used main hand. An useful combo I found is strong attack thrust + offhand swipe.

    Thank you ^.^

    btw, http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=448398272696888625

    A pure dual longsword phy. build, (enough weight for a light helm), hits the 31 poise breakpoint.

    I wonder if hitting the 53 poise breakpoint and equipping another ring other then havels and mid rolling would have more benefits then havel ring and fast rolling. What do you think?
    avatar
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1060
    Reputation : 28
    Join date : 2012-09-25
    Age : 19
    Location : Gensōkyō, In Search For I

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by tinypantha on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:30 am

    my friend KSI XROLI did this a while ago and a dual battle axe build.


    _________________
    Tehdoomgrasp wrote:Got a cute forum name, reminding me of a little panda. Taking that plus the avatar is making me squee manly squees.
    Je parle francais. Je pense.

    my favorite qoutes:

    Tolvo wrote:I want one that moans loudly just so players can get really confused and creeped out.

    "I
    just put a stone in that things mouth, with that face, and it sexually
    moaned. Alright I'm getting the hell out of here."
    avatar
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5277
    Reputation : 118
    Join date : 2012-04-07
    Age : 24
    Location : The League of Draven.

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by TehInfamousAmos on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:02 pm

    http://mmdks.com/u28

    This could be an interesting build. It is more based off a basically outfitted mercenary, you have your dagger for if you 'Lose' your longsword, this can be used for the quick r2 stabs or backstabs... Then in dual wielding the dagger with the longsword for viability you're able to use the L1 (fast swipe of the off-hand dagger) to cancel backstab damage. The bow is cause you're a blatant giant... But seriously - the greatbows are fun to use. You could always swap the longsword up for the sunlight straight sword if you wish to have more damage.


    _________________
    ▶️̸̱◀️
    Requiem æternam. Dona eis, Domine Dum veneris judacare sæculum per ignum.

    For one slick avatar visit this thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t8933-picture-request-thread
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 pm

    TehInfamousAmos wrote:http://mmdks.com/u28

    This could be an interesting build. It is more based off a basically outfitted mercenary, you have your dagger for if you 'Lose' your longsword, this can be used for the quick r2 stabs or backstabs... Then in dual wielding the dagger with the longsword for viability you're able to use the L1 (fast swipe of the off-hand dagger) to cancel backstab damage. The bow is cause you're a blatant giant... But seriously - the greatbows are fun to use. You could always swap the longsword up for the sunlight straight sword if you wish to have more damage.

    Is there anything the longsword does better the the sunlight straight?

    And 71 end just to wield a greatbow and fast roll seems slightly wasteful imo, I could be wrong.
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:40 pm

    tinypantha wrote:my friend KSI XROLI did this a while ago and a dual battle axe build.

    The pure 40/40 longsword build? Do you know how it went?

    Murdeaulio
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 38
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2013-01-03

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by Murdeaulio on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:45 pm

    Longswords are well suited for divine/occult path. Seriously. Try it.
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:51 pm

    Murdeaulio wrote:Longswords are well suited for divine/occult path. Seriously. Try it.
    But then you would have to invest in the faith stat, which will lead to the inevitable miracle dex build, except your using two swords not 1. Not that a miracle dex build is a bad thing. I just find miracles slightly overused and has less utility then sorceries.

    Also wouldn't occult and divine weapons have to go through 2 defenses?

    Murdeaulio
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 38
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2013-01-03

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by Murdeaulio on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:06 pm

    AzureTear wrote:
    Murdeaulio wrote:Longswords are well suited for divine/occult path. Seriously. Try it.
    But then you would have to invest in the faith stat, which will lead to the inevitable miracle dex build, except your using two swords not 1. Not that a miracle dex build is a bad thing. I just find miracles slightly overused and has less utility then sorceries.

    Also wouldn't occult and divine weapons have to go through 2 defenses?

    Umm... yes, occult means you'd need to invest in faith. my char Florian is a pure faith build, I roleplay a vampire hunter on him, and I eat people up with an occult longsword held in two hands, so basically I just know that divine/occult is good for longswords. It scales A from faith i believe. I dont really have much advice for dual swords, just that divine/occult is an effective upgrade path that can replace a str/dex build.
    avatar
    AzureTear
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 58
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Age : 21

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by AzureTear on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 pm

    Occult scales A for faith while Divine scales B for faith, but has slightly higher base dmg.

    Although I would like to know what resistances tend to be more present in current meta equipment, I think that'll be the most important factor in modified weapons.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Dual Longsword PvP Build Suggestion

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:27 pm