Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Seignar
6 posters

Explosive Barrles and Water...

Poll

Did you like these enviromental hazards?

[ 9 ]
    Explosive Barrles and Water... I_vote_lcap75%Explosive Barrles and Water... I_vote_rcap [75%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Explosive Barrles and Water... I_vote_lcap8%Explosive Barrles and Water... I_vote_rcap [8%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Explosive Barrles and Water... I_vote_lcap17%Explosive Barrles and Water... I_vote_rcap [17%] 

Total Votes: 12
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Explosive Barrles and Water... Empty Explosive Barrles and Water...

Post by Seignar Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Anyone remember in Demon Souls when you were just minding your own business in Stonefang when suddenly a bunch of barrels explode and let out 3 or 4 hellhounds after you. Or later, when an entire room explodes in your face? This was the devilish work of this "jolly fat-man"
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't his fault, well, it was. His evil partner was none other than...
    Spoiler:
    Barrels. Barrels filled with oil, bombs, or whatever. Yes, a dastardly weapon used in Demon Souls. The Boletarians loved these and used them as dangerous weapons and so did you, Slayer of Demons.

Came Dark Souls. Suddenly, this fascinating weapon disappeared, leaving no trace. What was a dead to do? Then came eureka:
    Spoiler:
    Ignoring the sight of Eureka, California; Dark Souls had a eureka moment when it devised a new weapon: Water. Electric conductivity being used to extend the range of lightning.

Another genuine creation was that of the elementals. To harness fire and lightning into weapons. Simply marvelous.

What glorious moment would it be if that the Barrels should return and the water should as too! These elemental weapons, serving as a catalyst to unleash these dangerous hazards of nature.

=-=-=-=-=-
    *Ahem*
    Yeah, should Explosive Barrels and Water make a return? We could use the elemental weapons as means of using them, seeing as elementals are probably going to stay nerfed, they should have new meaning and a bit of...danger.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Explosive Barrles and Water... Empty Re: Explosive Barrles and Water...

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:34 pm

I don't know about "no trace." What about the Hollow on the steps in the Burg?
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:42 pm

I would prefer to keep them out of the game. I think some of the best moments of Demon Soul's were in areas that those barrels couldn't be found in. Not because of they were environmental hazards that could kill you no because every time I heard an explosion from one of those things it would kill the mood in the level.

Your enjoying the nice mood of the Boletarian Palace then -Blam!- all of a sudden it seems like an explosion from Call of Duty was just carried over into Demon Souls.

It's not to mention that those 'traps' would seldom work because the barrels would stick out from the rest of the environment like the barrels you would find in a standard FPS game. They just didn't work well when it came to the dark ambience that you were constantly being submerged in.

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Fire Barrel does not equal Explosive Barrel. A Fire Barrel proves a nuisance; A Explosive Barrel, proves as hazardous as Drake breath. Clearly, the one that invented the Fire Barrel was a tactician. The one that invented the Explosive Barrel was a Pyromaniac and murderer.

Also the concept is different. A Fire Barrel requires gravity to work while EB require fire. FB are horizontal; EB, vertical. FB are used by hollows; EB, demons. The FB was simply an improvised boulder. A EB was a stationary Great Fireball. The Fire Barrel was a throwback to 1-3 not 1-1 and 2-1.

=-=-=-=
    But, in all seriousness, Sen's was more defined as a EB throwback that Undead Burg. The difference was it was automatic and not manual.

GrinTwist wrote:I would prefer to keep them out of the game. I think
    some of the best moments of Demon Soul's were in areas that those
    barrels couldn't be found in. Not because of they were environmental
    hazards that could kill you no because every time I heard an explosion
    from one of those things it would kill the mood in the level.

Your
    enjoying the nice mood of the Boletarian Palace then -Blam!- all of a
    sudden it seems like an explosion from Call of Duty was just carried
    over into Demon Souls.

It's not to mention that those 'traps'
    would seldom work because the barrels would stick out from the rest of
    the environment like the barrels you would find in a standard FPS game.
    They just didn't work well when it came to the dark ambience that you
    were constantly being submerged in.
    In all honesty, I cannot comprehend the killing of "mood". 1-1 and 2-1 did not have any noticeable "mood" that could be disturbed by explosions. Mood was world 5 and World 3 *shivers*...
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 pm

I always wondered how those things *exploded* unless the Boletarians had invented a magic gunpowder type substance.

Also I would like more environmental hazards.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:26 pm

Uh, Onion Knight? They were using regular gunpowder. Gunpowder was used in the Midieval Ages and Renaissance in our own world, after all.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

Acarnatia wrote:Uh, Onion Knight? They were using regular gunpowder. Gunpowder was used in the Midieval Ages and Renaissance in our own world, after all.

You don't say?

WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:26 pm

^ I thought it was some sort of oil.

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I don't know about "no trace." What about the Hollow on the steps in the Burg?

That's just a tease. "Look! fire barrels are back!" "No they're not."

The only fire barrel in the game only appeared once per playthrough.

I think they should be brought back. They were so much fun, but they make some areas a little easier. I wouldn't mind if they didn't return.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am