Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Share
    avatar
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1351
    Reputation : 51
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Age : 26

    Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Slarg232 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm

    Hey all, so an Idea came to me today; what if in DkSII, there was a merchant that allowed you to buy Soul Items (Soul of a Lost Undead etc). It would cost 4x the amount of souls the item actually gives, but would still be a great way to save some of them for a rainy day.

    What do you guys think?


    _________________


    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:19 pm

    I don't see a problem with the idea, though I doubt I'd ever use such a service myself.

    avatar
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1488
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-12-23
    Age : 19
    Location : Killing the chat

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Hue on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 pm

    No, x4 would make not dying far more reliable.
    Besides, they are rarely used, and once you unlock farmable enemies, you can obtain more souls in 10 minutes than what you get from all the souls items throughout the game
    avatar
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 163
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2013-01-07
    Location : Krieg

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by ClassicBlaze on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:40 pm

    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I don't see a problem with the idea, though I doubt I'd ever use such a service myself.

    Same here, the price is also alil too high in my opinion, doesnt seem much worthy of an investment when we start talking about thousand of souls who will need "banking"


    _________________
    The Imperium of Man shall endure!
    avatar
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1351
    Reputation : 51
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Age : 26

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Slarg232 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 pm

    ClassicBlaze wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I don't see a problem with the idea, though I doubt I'd ever use such a service myself.

    Same here, the price is also alil too high in my opinion, doesnt seem much worthy of an investment when we start talking about thousand of souls who will need "banking"
    I just wanted to say 4x so people know it's a choice of safety or quantity. Also, Sanity is for the Weak!


    _________________


    avatar
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 163
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2013-01-07
    Location : Krieg

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by ClassicBlaze on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 pm

    Slarg232 wrote:
    ClassicBlaze wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I don't see a problem with the idea, though I doubt I'd ever use such a service myself.

    Same here, the price is also alil too high in my opinion, doesnt seem much worthy of an investment when we start talking about thousand of souls who will need "banking"
    I just wanted to say 4x so people know it's a choice of safety or quantity. Also, Sanity is for the Weak!

    Well said my friend! Walking around the world of Dark Souls carrying all these souls can get quite risky, you know you are going to lose them, just not when, so having some sort of banking system like you suggested would be a great idea.


    _________________
    The Imperium of Man shall endure!
    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Shkar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 pm

    I like the idea. Why? It makes it easier to level up new characters. Do you have a "capped" SL 120 character with 50 million souls? dump a few mil and skip the first couple dozen levels.


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    avatar
    CaptanSpudsy
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 218
    Reputation : 11
    Join date : 2012-05-20
    Location : If I knew, I'd tell you

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by CaptanSpudsy on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:34 pm

    I say Nay to this, as it would undermine (if only slightly) the tension of PvE/PvP with such a quantity of souls.


    _________________
    XBL: Captan Spudsy
    Some Moonbros might find this Offensive:

    Random Quotes Collection:
    cloudyeki wrote:Seath:I can live entirely on a diet of crayons and lighter fluid!

    eminusx wrote:The Sons of IRS
    'weve come to tax your souuuuuuuuuuuul!!!'

    ViralEnsign wrote:I will have rolls in DKS II ! I WILL NOT BE DENIED!
    lalliman wrote:
    Ashran wrote:I wonder if anyone had a wet dream with Gwynevere...
    ^ I wonder if anyone hasn't.
    Uhhm, i mean, uhm, i mean had. I, i didn't .___.
    avatar
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1279
    Reputation : 37
    Join date : 2012-04-11
    Location : Firelink

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Buggy Virus on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:27 am

    Nah. There really isn't a reasonable price for this. Being that when PVPing or late game, you will often have tons of souls that you can't cash in, and it would always be safer to save them using this system.

    The tension is good as is.


    _________________
    *Busy Drawing*
    Xbl: A Buggy Virus
    Whelp, now I have positive rep.
    Reputation : 30
    Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74
    avatar
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1737
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-12-10
    Age : 24
    Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Sloth9230 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:33 am

    I saw somone suggest that we could bank souls, and that actually risking your souls by carrying them with you would give you increased returns on the souls you get from enemies. Seemed like an interesting Idea to me.


    _________________
    Some people wrestle with their personal demons. I stabbed mine in the back of the head. He was a bleeder....
    C'mon, Everybody! Do The Black Mage!
    PSN-Name: Sloth9230
    avatar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2657
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2012-03-18

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Shkar on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:35 am

    What about being able to just straight up send souls to a new character? People want to be able to level up new builds quickly, but a certain unspeakable glitch was too excessive. How about this?


    _________________
    XBL GT: DeadlyHeretic
    avatar
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1488
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-12-23
    Age : 19
    Location : Killing the chat

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Hue on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 am

    And why not enemies that attack you one by one? or auto-block any attack? hey, and why not make us able to chain kills for one-shots? all that would make the game more fluid! and appeal a wider audience!


    No.


    _________________
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    [i]Huehuehue.[/i]
    avatar
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4318
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-03-19
    Age : 22

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by dancash1808 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 am

    so in your mind Hachoma the difficulty of the game is tied to losing all your souls on death? that was never actually a bother for me. died? grab bloodstain. died twice? beat things up. infact I tended to not give a damn about my souls until I wanted something at which point I would just go get some souls.
    another thing is that you have to get to this merchant. it wouldent be a case of banking halfway through lost isalith (I wish) but yeah. the difficulty should be in the gameplay not how hard you get hit when you screw up IMO


    _________________
    "Quotes seem to be popular with you people"-Acidic cook
    You should all play league with me! twisted http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=506391218392b408980226
    avatar
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1488
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-12-23
    Age : 19
    Location : Killing the chat

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Hue on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 am

    My post sounded a bit more agressive than expected...

    dancash1808 wrote:the difficulty should be in the gameplay not how hard you get hit when you screw up IMO
    It's just my opinion, but i think we should have both.

    Removing overall difficulty will be even more frustrating when you lose your souls and humanity to stupid, easy enemies, and combat will get boring very quickly.

    Adding a way to bank your souls will remove the tension, and constant fear of losing everything, and it won't feel as great when you survive a wave of hollows and a boar without dying.
    avatar
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1351
    Reputation : 51
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Age : 26

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Slarg232 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:53 pm

    dancash1808 wrote:so in your mind Hachoma the difficulty of the game is tied to losing all your souls on death? that was never actually a bother for me. died? grab bloodstain. died twice? beat things up. infact I tended to not give a damn about my souls until I wanted something at which point I would just go get some souls.
    another thing is that you have to get to this merchant. it wouldent be a case of banking halfway through lost isalith (I wish) but yeah. the difficulty should be in the gameplay not how hard you get hit when you screw up IMO



    This, pretty much. Also, being able to turn Souls into Soul Items will allow you to save them for being able to fully upgrade a weapon you want to try out with you're SL 120 characters. I'm not fully on board with the idea of transfering souls to new characters, myself.


    _________________


    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by DE5PA1R on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:07 pm

    Hachouma wrote:Adding a way to bank your souls will remove the tension, and constant fear of losing everything, and it won't feel as great when you survive a wave of hollows and a boar without dying.

    This is a good point. Tension is one of the primary reasons the Souls games feel difficult. Don't get me wrong, the games can be difficult the first couple of times through, but being difficult is different from feeling difficult. The Souls series has done a great job of making the player feel and experience the difficultly. Taking away the tension would ruin the whole thing.

    BUT, that doesn't mean this idea is bad. Tbh, I'm not sure how/whether it would really change anything. Obviously you couldn't access this during a boss fight, which is the only time it would matter, and we already have Homeward/Homeward Bone to escape mid-fight after collecting a bloodstain. The only way it would significantly change things is through long-term planning.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Being able to "Bank" Souls?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:30 am