Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
befowler
martyrsbrigade99
vatar5
Sentiel
Glutebrah
Carphil
Ashran
Aznul
Forum Pirate
WyrmHero
RANT
Ghadis_God
Murdeaulio
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
lextune
reim0027
ChizFreak
Baal-Avatar
The Letter X
Tolvo
Sloth9230
Emergence
Rifter7
EeAyEss
28 posters

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS - Page 4 Empty Re: WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:01 pm

It actually has the same range as the sks (both are a touch longer than the dss last I checked)

The dss gives you faith yeah, byt 27 str 40 dex and 40 faith is a big investment, the mlbh requirements 12 str 9 dex (read: base stats of pyromancy)

I'd say the dss is better as a weapon (leo ring buff), but the mlbh ends up better because of the essential 0 requirements and heavy chip damage. If you're a caster, its just free, or if you built for it 2 spells are free.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:It actually has the same range as the sks (both are a touch longer than the dss last I checked)

The dss gives you faith yeah, byt 27 str 40 dex and 40 faith is a big investment, the mlbh requirements 12 str 9 dex (read: base stats of pyromancy)

I'd say the dss is better as a weapon (leo ring buff), but the mlbh ends up better because of the essential 0 requirements and heavy chip damage. If you're a caster, its just free, or if you built for it 2 spells are free.

SKS is lighter than the DSS, has far less requirements (though still more than MLBH), it's fast as hell and has a great stunlock ability (I don't know about the MLBH's stunlock capability, but the DSS has the same as the SKS). And does great damage even with low stats (same with SK Sword), Leo Ring it's far better with this weapon too lol, Leo Ring boosts only Physical counter damage so it works better with the SKS than with the DSS.

Also I was just joking with my previous post of the SKS silly

Still the MLBH while having the less STAT requiriments, it indeed requires some INT to do considerable damage, the SKS does ok damage even with minimum stats.

SKS +5 at minimum stats = 311 phys damage

MLBH +5 at minimum stats = 214 magic damage (I agree though that pure magic damage has it's own perks, but it has less stamina damage when blocked? not sure)

DSS +5 at 24 STR 24 DEX and 30 FTH = 253 phys damage and 157 lighting damage (split damage, requires far more investment, sucks, the SKS at 16 STR and 40 DEX does 370 pure physical damage)

Silver Knight Spear is best Spear.

/Case Closed
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Watch my next video on my thread for a good defense against katanas... Well it works for me anyway. The video will be up in a couple hours. But i actually dont mind facing katana users the only thing i have an issue with is their rapid bleeding effect. Other than that i have no real issue with them.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Best at minimum stats maybe, but based on that logic The chaos longsword is the best weapon in game.
    27/40/40 the dss has an ar of 514 with a 335/179 split even with the leo ring onl boosting physical, I'd wager its more damage and chips

The sks at 27/40 has 376 ar

The mlbh at 40 int is 333 but its pure magic, which leaves its damage comparable unless its a leo ring hit but it chips better, weighs less and allows easy access to magic
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:mlbh> dss> sks
    Exactly what I wanted to say.

Although I'm not so sure about DSS. I have underwhelming results with it. Guess it's for Faith builds, or something...

MLBH is very light as well as doing pure Magic damage, but I think Leo Ring doesn't work with, which is a damn shame. MLBH is definitely the best choice for an Int build, while SKS is the best choice for a Dex build.
    Hard to say who to recommend DSS...Quality Faith?

On topic.
    I never really tried Str build in PvP. After several matches where I got totally owned I quit Str and returned to my Dex.

I always thought Str weapons do upwards of 700 per R1 hit.
    I get rarely hit by them and if I do, it's either ohko bs, some unlocked dead angle nonesense, that does suprisingly little damage, or straight out taking over half of my HP in one swing.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Best at minimum stats maybe, but based on that logic The chaos longsword is the best weapon in game.
    27/40/40 the dss has an ar of 514 with a 335/179 split even with the leo ring onl boosting physical, I'd wager its more damage and chips

The sks at 27/40 has 376 ar

The mlbh at 40 int is 333 but its pure magic, which leaves its damage comparable unless its a leo ring hit but it chips better, weighs less and allows easy access to magic

We have both bringed valid points, let's say the DSS sucks, and MLBH are SKS are both awesome but fit different builds. The DSS require too much investment and you have to sacrifice other stats to get a reasonable amount of damage, and it's splitted even. The only good thing about the DSS (besides the lighting bolt which isn't that useful and way too low damage) is that while I'm not sure I think it has a lot more stamina damage than the other spears, everytime I tend to fight a good guy using it I end up with my guard broken.

Now just for the laughs, for a INT/DEX build what would be better? I believe the SKS, after all you can cast Pursuers/other **** and still use the SKS with Leo Ring, even without Leo Ring it's great.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 pm

@Chiz

I can confirm DSS does some serious Stamina damage on block.
    It doesn't happen often that I get my guard broken, but I remember getting my full Stamina to 0 with Crest Shield, blocking a 2H DSS and the guy even managed to hit me in guard break animation once, then ran out of Stamina himself.

I also got Dex/Int and tried both SKS and MLBH and both are great. I prefer SKS though, to have different type of damage, because if my opponent uses GMB, MLBH is useless until it wears off, but SKS still does the same damage and I can keep him off me.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:37 pm

For an Int/dex I'd use both, and menu swap between them depending on what the opponent is doing and what shield they have.

@sentinel str builds have a steep learning curve. If you stick with it and play patiently they work well, especially if you can land a crit (which is why people fish.) Its the roll r1s, deadangles and crits that make them work.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Bah. Looking over my rant, I realize how silly it is. I just need practice. Lots of it.

If anything, I need to redo my build, but I pumped over 77 hours into it... I love it so. But I guess a redo is in order.

Thanks everyone for your input.
    Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't know why everyone hates on katanas, they're hardly going to outdamage your greatswords, halberds, every other damn weapon in the game.

If a kat user spams you, take the first hit and parry, nothing spells, not today beeyotch than a riposte. If you get bled out, then that's your fault for not being able to do the above. Truly any fast striking weapon can be parried like the method above. Even rollers can't bleed you out since your bleed doesn't build up as fast as you expect.

Sincerely,

A katana user.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:02 pm

TBH, out of the handful of weapons I've used, katanas seem like the hardest next to Murakumo.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:TBH, out of the handful of weapons I've used, katanas seem like the hardest next to Murakumo.

Everyone talks about how easy it is to use one, but I have more luck with a Murakumo then I do my Iaito. My Iaito is my favorite weapon sad
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:15 pm

I think people put DMB on their katanas and mash R1 into people too dumb to turtle out the buff? I dunno. It's a very low-risk weapon, which makes it kinda easy, but it loses trades with like 90% of everything.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 am

My biggest problems are the kat users that unlock and dead angle. They will only hit once, angled. Especially the roll R1, roll away. The good players can do it in between swings from heavy weapons.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 am

I primarily use kats and I really hate the katana's rolling attack. Dead angles very nicely, but its damage is kind of trashy. I'd rather just do insta-run R1's if I'm poking between heavy attacks. And if I'm rolling into heavy R1 spam, I'm probably just going to BS.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:11 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:I primarily use kats and I really hate the katana's rolling attack. Dead angles very nicely, but its damage is kind of trashy. I'd rather just do insta-run R1's if I'm poking between heavy attacks. And if I'm rolling into heavy R1 spam, I'm probably just going to BS.

I agree with the rolling R1's damage, the only time it seems useful is if it counters.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:29 am

The Letter X wrote:
    Saturday-Saint wrote:I primarily use kats and I really hate the katana's rolling attack. Dead angles very nicely, but its damage is kind of trashy. I'd rather just do insta-run R1's if I'm poking between heavy attacks. And if I'm rolling into heavy R1 spam, I'm probably just going to BS.

I agree with the rolling R1's damage, the only time it seems useful is if it counters.
    Iaito's 1H R2 does more damage than rolling R1 and can be used forr the same things.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:59 am

The only thing the Iaito has over the C.Blade: R2's silly

The Iaito is so cool that I use it in my offhand, even if I can't use it's main attack.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm