Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
ViralEnsign_
Sentiel
Nightmare Moon
Aznul
Carphil
Sloth9230
barrywilkins
GenericUsername
Forum Pirate
Soris Ice Goldwing
Tolvo
Onion Knight
ChizFreak
reim0027
GrinTwist
Peaceful Wollyhop
Juutas
The Letter X
cloudyeki
Samurainova
24 posters

Gankers. Yay or Nay?

Poll

Do you dislike gankers?

[ 16 ]
    Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap33%Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap8%Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [8%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [13%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap8%Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [8%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap15%Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [15%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [13%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap10%Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [10%] 

Total Votes: 48
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Gankers. Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Empty Re: Gankers. Yay or Nay?

Post by Carphil Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:50 pm

cloudyeki wrote:Let's just stop and say we did.

This sort of thread pops up atleast once a month, and it usually ends with a mod coming in to break up a would be flame war. If you need proof, do a lil surfing and look in all the locked threads in this and the Pvp section.

Gankers, honor, fair play, and anything of the sort will usually end badly.

I agree that these threads normally get out of control, but this one won't cause any trouble because the guy made a poll and anyone can vote anonimously, and hes did not stated his opinion right away and said: "DO you agree? If yes, I love you. IF not, Go away"

Today, gankers make me better at PVP. A lot.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Carphil wrote:
    cloudyeki wrote:Let's just stop and say we did.

This sort of thread pops up atleast once a month, and it usually ends with a mod coming in to break up a would be flame war. If you need proof, do a lil surfing and look in all the locked threads in this and the Pvp section.

Gankers, honor, fair play, and anything of the sort will usually end badly.

I agree that these threads normally get out of control, but this one won't cause any trouble because the guy made a poll and anyone can vote anonimously, and hes did not stated his opinion right away and said: "DO you agree? If yes, I love you. IF not, Go away"

Today, gankers make me better at PVP. A lot.

Same here happy
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:26 pm

I would have to say I am neutral on this as a whole. Personally I don't pvp much, I mostly play co-op, and I am rarely invaded, so I am only really dealing with invaders while helping a host. While ganking can certainly be a no-fun experience for the invader, it could also be considered an at least moderately legitimate way for the host to farm for souls and/or humanity. Not to mention that the phantoms benefit as well.

I have been on both sides of "ganking". When I first started playing online I was already at least lvl 100 and had hardly done any pvp. I lost most of the time, so I shifted to co-op. I put down a summon sign by the O&S fog gate hoping to help hosts with the fight, and got a few people through it. Then someone summoned me for ganking in dark anor londo. I tried it out and thought it was great at first, since from my perspective I was finally winning some fights. Until the first person to invade me ended up being one of the "victims of ganking" and told me they disapproved of me starting to gank. At the time I honestly didn't know that what i was doing was what people on the forums called ganking.

Personally I say it is really up to the host, when I play co-op, I don't seek out ganking, I'm looking to help someone get farther in the game, but an opportunity is still an opportunity, so I won't ditch a host just because they are being "cheap".

Mostly though, it ends up just being that a red phantom shows up shortly before the boss fog gate, and me and another phantom end up helping the host dispatch them. Though I don't think it is considered "ganking" if you are just fending off an invader on the way to the boss.

It isn't really good or bad. From an invader's perspective it might seem unfair, but really you just need to use different tactics. I have seen plenty of invaders run into a narrow hallway and drop a fire tempest/firestorm, one-shotting anyone who decided to follow too close (I have done this too, mostly in anor londo). But from the host and phantom's perspectives, they are farming in a way that keeps things from getting repetetive.

It all depends on perspective, attitude, and skill. I have seen both, have moderate/low skill (moderate pve, low pvp), and don't really see it as good or bad.
    Nightmare Moon
    Nightmare Moon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Nightmare Moon Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Gankers are nothing more than players that cant handle a fight on their own. Nothing more than cowards.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Nightmare Moon wrote:Gankers are nothing more than players that cant handle a fight on their own. Nothing more than cowards.

Their was a time in which i felt the same as you did. I believe it depends a little bit, many new players do not know it is wrong, so i send a nice message saying it is wrong, and sometimes they were unaware and stop. However, unfortuantely most are aware of it and yes, i believe those people are cowards if its anywhere other than the forest. Thank you so much for your opinion, i appreciate your support happy
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Aznul wrote:I would have to say I am neutral on this as a whole. Personally I don't pvp much, I mostly play co-op, and I am rarely invaded, so I am only really dealing with invaders while helping a host. While ganking can certainly be a no-fun experience for the invader, it could also be considered an at least moderately legitimate way for the host to farm for souls and/or humanity. Not to mention that the phantoms benefit as well.

I have been on both sides of "ganking". When I first started playing online I was already at least lvl 100 and had hardly done any pvp. I lost most of the time, so I shifted to co-op. I put down a summon sign by the O&S fog gate hoping to help hosts with the fight, and got a few people through it. Then someone summoned me for ganking in dark anor londo. I tried it out and thought it was great at first, since from my perspective I was finally winning some fights. Until the first person to invade me ended up being one of the "victims of ganking" and told me they disapproved of me starting to gank. At the time I honestly didn't know that what i was doing was what people on the forums called ganking.

Personally I say it is really up to the host, when I play co-op, I don't seek out ganking, I'm looking to help someone get farther in the game, but an opportunity is still an opportunity, so I won't ditch a host just because they are being "cheap".

Mostly though, it ends up just being that a red phantom shows up shortly before the boss fog gate, and me and another phantom end up helping the host dispatch them. Though I don't think it is considered "ganking" if you are just fending off an invader on the way to the boss.

It isn't really good or bad. From an invader's perspective it might seem unfair, but really you just need to use different tactics. I have seen plenty of invaders run into a narrow hallway and drop a fire tempest/firestorm, one-shotting anyone who decided to follow too close (I have done this too, mostly in anor londo). But from the host and phantom's perspectives, they are farming in a way that keeps things from getting repetetive.

It all depends on perspective, attitude, and skill. I have seen both, have moderate/low skill (moderate pve, low pvp), and don't really see it as good or bad.

MY GOD SIR you have alot to say. Ive noticed a reoccuring trend of the amount of detail and effort you put into your posts and i must say i appreciate it whole heartedly, as well as many of the peopele here posting on the forums. Thank you, one plus for you sir happy
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 am

I strongly dislike ganking.

However, it all falls down to what one considers to be ganking.

If the host has one, or two phantoms and camp at invader spawn point, then they are ganking to me. That, I hate quite a lot.

But if I meet them somewhere else in the area, then they were probably just questing and I interrupted them, so even if they gang bang me, I won't mind.

The above doesn't apply for the Forest.
    Forest is an evil place, where everything is allowed and nothing is cheap enough.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 am

They make me better by pushing me to work hard for my wins
    largestember
    largestember

Post by largestember Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 am

I meet a ton of gankers in forest but I don't mind them because as an invader, you've got to be prepared.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:55 am

GAnkers is such a teenage term. Probably coined by someone who don't like being bested.
    moomootv
    moomootv
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by moomootv Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 am

Well if some1 has a phanton and they both fight to portect the host i can understand that but 2 or 3 people standing at your spawn spamming r1 and chuging sunny-D is sad. if they arent spawn camping then 2v1 is fine invaders have the enviorment to use instead I mad friends with the plantmen and hydra in the forest. But do you know whats crazy some people that do say 2v1 or 3v1 see it as fair killed this guy with the plantmen and my **** your spin ring and he sent me a mesg saying "what the hell we both bowed thought we were dueling"
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am

moomootv wrote:"what the hell we both bowed thought we were dueling"
    Just a technical question.
    How is 2v1 duelling?
    Gestures aside.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 pm

I hate when the host cant fight me and just runs and summon 1 or 2 phantoms. Srsly i got very pissed off yesterday in the forest.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 pm

[quote="Ashran"]I hate when the host cant fight me and just runs and summon 1 or 2 phantoms. Srsly i got very pissed off yesterday in the forest.[/quote

You make a vilid point. Like when your fighting two people and you kill the phantom, and then he runs to summon another, and just keeps strafing around. Makes me a little mad too, but I know if I get so mad I lose my edge it will lead to my downfall, so always keep a clear head and you shall prevail, even if you have to put that phantom down three times happy thanks for your input happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 am