My first Str build

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

My first Str build

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 am

Here I am, reading form lot of you guys how Str weapons are amazing and while I already gave them a try, I failed miserably.

So I was thinking about giving them another shot and came up with two builds and I can't decide which one to make. I Won't make both, for some of you jokers as I'm getting seriously annoyed with making builds already, so this will be my last one.

First
    Basic high Str, high Vit build with some Pyromancies for a good measure.

Second
    I was worried about Dex builds and I know very good how I can trash Str builds with a katana myself, so I wanted to put a little Faith in there to use TWoP. When I was at it I pumped it to 30, to use SLB for extra damage, but it seems a bit overkill to me, so perhaps, retracting a few points from Faith and Att to get the Vit up would be good?

I want the build to be a tank, a slow moving, heavy damage dealing tank. It shall have Avelyn for ranged fights, Demon's Spear to counter Spear users and something to deal with fast characters, like Black Flame, TWoP, or WoG.

What do you think and which should I make?

Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Re: My first Str build

Post by Automancer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:59 am

Sentiel wrote:Here I am, reading form lot of you guys how Str weapons are amazing and while I already gave them a try, I failed miserably.

So I was thinking about giving them another shot and came up with two builds and I can't decide which one to make. I Won't make both, for some of you jokers as I'm getting seriously annoyed with making builds already, so this will be my last one.

First
    Basic high Str, high Vit build with some Pyromancies for a good measure.

Second
    I was worried about Dex builds and I know very good how I can trash Str builds with a katana myself, so I wanted to put a little Faith in there to use TWoP. When I was at it I pumped it to 30, to use SLB for extra damage, but it seems a bit overkill to me, so perhaps, retracting a few points from Faith and Att to get the Vit up would be good?

I want the build to be a tank, a slow moving, heavy damage dealing tank. It shall have Avelyn for ranged fights, Demon's Spear to counter Spear users and something to deal with fast characters, like Black Flame, TWoP, or WoG.

What do you think and which should I make?

As much as i love tanks, a slow moving weapon with a equally slow moving toon is a ticket to backstab heaven. TwT

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=378857343539761126

Sorry but i changed your first build entirely. I've made it into a fast rolling build that can hit like a beast while still managing to get out of tight situations and luring opponents. I kinda feel that the Lightning L. Crossbow is better than the Avelyn particularly in terms of weight and AR although the AR can be confusing due to split damage. Lure them in with the DGA and Combust their faces when they least expect it. I do hate the FaP/Havel combo but it works for this build.

I'm not too sure what to change for your second build but it looks fine for me.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 am

@Automancer

Thank you for your input.

When I imagine a Str build, it's always a heavy, slow tank. I meet a LOT of fast rolling Str guys and they sicken me to no end. Not to mention that most of them are fishing mongrels. I'm having all of my characters with high Dex and Fastroll, I want a change and a nice slow tank with Havel's Shield is all I look for and the Shield should give me some decent protection to compensate for my lack of rolling.

I'm a hard guy to please, especially when it comes to aesthetics and I extremely loathe all Hollow legs. I see tons of people with them and I know it has amazing Equip Load to Poise ratio (even though I think it shouldn't have any Poise at all, considering how it looks and all), but it just looks so stupid. Running around with naked butt and legs is just Look Skyward each time I see it.

Avelyn does better damage, I got lots of experience in this matter and Avelyn is by far the best crossbow, if you know how and when to use it.

Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 am

You could start with your current ones and adjust it as you go along. That's how i complete my builds because i'm fickle. I can never stick to one weapon all the time.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:47 am

Automancer wrote:You could start with your current ones and adjust it as you go along. That's how i complete my builds because i'm fickle. I can never stick to one weapon all the time.
    Me neither, that's why the first has that Dex, to use BK weapons and it can use almost all Str weapons, except for Smough's Hammer.

I'm more troubled about the second one tbh and which of them to make, if any at all.

Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 am

I'd honestly go for the second one because as good as the BK weapons are, i rarely use them myself after finding other weapons. My Leo/Buff build was supposed to use BK weapons too but as i went along, i switched to the Lucerne and Pickaxe with the Demon's Spear on my off-hand. Perhaps it's based on how much fun you can have with the weapon selections. BKs are powerful but boring to me.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:53 am

I haven't used BK weapons much. I would like to show people how to properly use BKGA, because if I can parry something, it's this weapon. People don't know how to use it.

RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 am

http://mmdks.com/pu1? if you really wanna fat roll, you can always use the bk weapons, the bkugs is the best of all of them. the reason i went with the DGM is because its a beast and you wont get backstabbed all the time like you would with the axe.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 am

I would say go for the BK weapons. The DGA can't stunlock anymore, and the BKGA is good when used 1 handed (remember that you have a big shield). I really don't know how to use the DGA anymore except for the roll R1s but that was always getting me roll bsed, so I would try fast roll.

Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:47 am

@Rant
    Now that's more like it. big grin
    It's not that I want to fat roll, but with keeping 40 End, having above 70 Poise, some Demon weapon, Havel's Shield and Avelyn with Medium Roll is impossible.

@Wyrm:
    Stunlock can be escaped from, so I won't rely on it. I chose DGA for it's damage and weigth, so I could have some spare Equip Burden to work with.

WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Not everyone knows or does toggle escape, and that was one of the good things of the DGA. Now it may seem an almost useless weapon, because stunlock is what makes Str weapons viable for PvP. It's the reward of connecting a very slow swing. The roll attack compared to UGS and great hammers leaves you more vulnerable, so right now it's the most difficult weapon to master thanks to the patch.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

WyrmHero wrote:Not everyone knows or does toggle escape, and that was one of the good things of the DGA. Now it may seem an almost useless weapon, because stunlock is what makes Str weapons viable for PvP. It's the reward of connecting a very slow swing. The roll attack compared to UGS and great hammers leaves you more vulnerable, so right now it's the most difficult weapon to master thanks to the patch.
    Challenge accepted. big grin

Ok, I get your point, no DGA for me. sad

What about SGA?

WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:38 pm

It's the same but with a more useful R2 combo I think.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:42 pm

WyrmHero wrote:It's the same but with a more useful R2 combo I think.
    Hmmm Hmmm Still Closed...

Alright. Ok, my mind is set for this matter.
    Thank you.

Now, which one of them to pick and should I do some of the changes I mentione dearlier to the second one?

Switching stats from Faith and Att to Vit, to be precise.

Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:40 pm

i'm currently working on a strength build myself, i'm about half way to completion but i'm stuck on trying to decide how much dex i should put into it. when i'm thinking of a str build, i don't usually think about fast rolling but i've been playing as a full dragon and have been having a blast. i've also got two equipment load-outs planned for this character, a fast rolling dragon and a medium rolling Tarkus build.

here's where i'm at currently, i menu-swap between a variety of weapons (pike, man-serpent, etc.) but the greataxe hits the hardest so that's what i put in that slot
    http://mmdks.com/puw

and here is where i'm thinking of going, with two different load-outs i expect to be using the most
    http://mmdks.com/pv1
    http://mmdks.com/pv3

i expect i will be going all the way to 120-30 with this toon, but by SL99 i have met the minimum required stats for what i plan on doing. the next 20 or so levels will be used to either pump vitality or add a little more dex for more versatility (possibly black knight weapons or greatsword and the like).

i chose to go with lower vitality because the heavy armour that strength builds seems to require provides enough defense that i haven't really been affected by having only 1200 hit points. at higher levels it will likely be a different story, will have to wait and see. i like having 50 endurance on this build so i can fast roll as a dragon and still medium roll in black iron with a back-up weapon. so it might be worth thinking about lowering your vit and increasing your end at least to the point where you can medium roll with your build as well. i don't think i could ever handle fat rolling, the walking speed alone would drive me crazy.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm

i prefer med roling to fat rolling, fat rolling only if you have havel's shield since that thing is a beast. heres my build when i med roll http://mmdks.com/pw2 and here's some fights of me with gough' armor which is awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5mi0wiZti4

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:01 am

So after a long time of pondering and wondering I came up with this.
    It should have everything a tank needs and I can keep a lot of versatility with it as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:31 am