Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
jimmyc0341
IV_Mark_VI
EeAyEss
FullSpe3D
Jester's Tears
Nybbles
Animaaal
Rynn
Montante
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
AFROJT
Forum Pirate
Aznul
CappuccinoJak
densetsushun
BIG TIME MASTER
jjshowal
Ashran
Sentiel
Carphil
Juutas
Tolvo
GrinTwist
LunarFog
28 posters

My hatred for magicians

LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

My hatred for magicians Empty My hatred for magicians

Post by LunarFog Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 am

I hate magicians. I always have, always will. Especially in Dark Souls. I'm going to make a new anti-magician build solely to wreck some havoc on their sorry lives. This will be a good chance to vent on a few poor magicians while giving out cracked eyes to everyone else I invade. Few questions before I start it though.

Does having one or two spells, make someone a mage? Obviously, they'll be mostly melee, but the spells Vow of Silence and Magic barrier would obviously be great for killing the filth.

Are magicians most common on a certain SL? If not, then the build will be level 99 like most of my others.

Is there any weapon or armor that can serve as a SYMBOL for my undying hatred of magicians?

My build will be up this weekend if anyone is interested. I'll also be making a thread where I can dump all my other builds too.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

My hatred for magicians Empty Re: My hatred for magicians

Post by GrinTwist Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 am

I'd love to see this build when it's finally done.

I'd also think that it depends on what spells you use. If the spells are there for the purpose of increasing your defense against magic I'd say it would be fine to use them. I can't think of a certain SL most magicians would play at, to take a random shot in the dark I'd say SL 100. Mainly because it would allow them to be both reliant on physical and magical attacks.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 am

Hatred of Magicians? Full Havel the Rock. Havel's Shield, Dragon Tooth, etc.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 am

My problem with magic users is that it sooooo boring to fight them. Everyone just runs away with their shield up spamming spells and nothing else you can do really as a pure melee fighter than to backstab them because if you try to engage any other way you get something blasted to your face that takes over 50% of your HP. Boring to the core and boring is never good.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 am

Juutas wrote:My problem with magic users is that it sooooo boring to fight them. Everyone just runs away with their shield up spamming spells and nothing else you can do really as a pure melee fighter than to backstab them because if you try to engage any other way you get something blasted to your face that takes over 50% of your HP. Boring to the core and boring is never good.

50%? please tell me your build! I get one shot all the time silly
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:42 am

Tolvo nailed it with Havel if you ask me. big grin

In my point of view a magician is what is commonly called a caster, by that I mean a character who relies on spells to do the fighting for him (spell spammers if you wish).

If someone just uses magic to buff himself, but then attacks with weapons, or at least uses weapons AND magic he's not a magician to me, but a spellsword.

Anti magic build, if made by me, would look like this.

Highest possible Magic Resistance.
    GMB and VoS to make casters stfu.
    SLB when you need some extra damage.
    Iaito wrecks low Poise builds with it's R2s (but I just love katanas, you use whatever you like to use).
    Shotel, so they can't hide behind shields and hope to survive until GMB/VoS runs out.

*You can switch Spellplate Ring for Lingering Dragoncrest Ring to get some extra buff time (if it affects Miracles atl all...not sure right now).

EDIT:
    I meet most mages in Archives and Township. Archives rock for mage hunting, since lock on is shorter there and they can't spam you from the same distance they could anywhere else.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:18 pm

LunarFog wrote:
    Is there any weapon or armor that can serve as a SYMBOL for my undying hatred of magicians?

I think just wearing any cleric stuff will do it. I dont think the church likes Vinheim.
    And whithout speculating this ^ , you can wear the cristal armor. That wil make mages angry. xD
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Ashran wrote:
    LunarFog wrote:

I think just wearing any cleric stuff will do it. I dont think the church likes Vinheim.
    And whithout speculating this ^ , you can wear the cristal armor. That wil make mages angry. xD
    Clerics are just as bad with their WoG and other spells. I'm thinking of making it a mix of Havel and Crystal armor though
    jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

I hate nothing more than getting one-shotted by pursuers no matter how many times I try to roll through it or spam the silver pendant.

Ironically, I am in the process of my first pure spellcaster build. I don't really plan on using it for much PvP though, maybe taking out some gankers or unfortunate invaders.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm

A magic user is a DKS player of good character who, when appropriate, aids his repertoire of offensive and defensive maneuvers with a versatile magic spell. A magic user never abuses magic for the sake of his own game enjoyment and at the detriment of his opponents. A magic user respects his opponent and the thrill of a fair-means fight and would never compromise that sacred silent oath which all true warriors vow for the sake of greedy soul-hording.

A magic abuser hordes and spams the most powerful and most convenient spells. He spends countless hours studying and building hyper-advanced builds to give him every overpowering advantage over those who would face him fairly and plainly. A magic abuser respects no one and places no limits on his own greed and abhorrent behavior to his fellow gamers. A magic abuser is more likely to use dubious tactics to acquire overpowered gear for his low level builds. A magic abuser is more likely to send hate mail to those who best him, despite his gross advantages. A magic abuser usually subscribes to the laws of the jungle, instead of the laws of men.
    jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:A magic user is a DKS player of good character who, when appropriate, aids his repertoire of offensive and defensive maneuvers with a versatile magic spell. A magic user never abuses magic for the sake of his own game enjoyment and at the detriment of his opponents. A magic user respects his opponent and the thrill of a fair-means fight and would never compromise that sacred silent oath which all true warriors vow for the sake of greedy soul-hording.

A magic abuser hordes and spams the most powerful and most convenient spells. He spends countless hours studying and building hyper-advanced builds to give him every overpowering advantage over those who would face him fairly and plainly. A magic abuser respects no one and places no limits on his own greed and abhorrent behavior to his fellow gamers. A magic abuser is more likely to use dubious tactics to acquire overpowered gear for his low level builds. A magic abuser is more likely to send hate mail to those who best him, despite his gross advantages. A magic abuser usually subscribes to the laws of the jungle, instead of the laws of men.

You can say this about any build using any equipment.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:A magic user is a DKS player of good character who, when appropriate, aids his repertoire of offensive and defensive maneuvers with a versatile magic spell. A magic user never abuses magic for the sake of his own game enjoyment and at the detriment of his opponents. A magic user respects his opponent and the thrill of a fair-means fight and would never compromise that sacred silent oath which all true warriors vow for the sake of greedy soul-hording.

Why would "good use" of magic have to be limited to aiding one's repertoire of offensive and defensive maneuvers? There is no silent agreement, all agreements are communicated in one way or another. If you bow to your opponent and he bows back, that means you two have acknowledged each other and respect the other. If one doesn't, that means he doesn't agree, or thinks the bow unnecessary. That is also communicated by the lack of action. I find it highly presumptive of you to claim you know what a true warrior is and what a true warrior isn't.

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    A magic abuser hordes and spams the most powerful and most convenient spells. He spends countless hours studying and building hyper-advanced builds to give him every overpowering advantage over those who would face him fairly and plainly.

Get off your moral high horse dude. It is highly inconvenient for others who expect a duel of some kind(with rules that aren't/can hardly be set), but that doesn't mean that there's something wrong with someone who puts in the time and effort to make a build they like and use it as they see fit. Hell, I applaud someone who in DkS has the resilience to stick to one form of offense and found a way to make it work.

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    A magic abuser respects no one and places no limits on his own greed and abhorrent behavior to his fellow gamers. A magic abuser is more likely to use dubious tactics to acquire overpowered gear for his low level builds. A magic abuser is more likely to send hate mail to those who best him, despite his gross advantages. A magic abuser usually subscribes to the laws of the jungle, instead of the laws of men.

How do you know who a so called "magic abuser" does and doesn't respect? How do you define dubious tactics, and how can you prove they've used it to acquire their overpowered gear? For that matter, how do you define overpowered in the first place?

What kind of proof do you have that this group supposedly sends more hate mail? Anecdotal evidence means little in science.

The law of man is of little importance to the core of DkS, which is not community building. I love the community, of course, but that doesn't mean that it's something that is a core part of the game. It's a core part of the experience for those who love the community.

Don't assume so much and come up with cold hard evidence to back your claims up man. DkS is a game, be and let be, play and let play how the player sees fit.
    CappuccinoJak
    CappuccinoJak
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CappuccinoJak Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 pm

i've never had a big problem with casters, then again i'm not too much into PvP. to deal with turtles i use a kick (if my weapon has one) or use the dragonbro's roar.

i know the roar, force, emit force, and WotG can deflect spells but i haven't had the patience to try out the timings for the force variants. i used roar to deflect a channelor's soul arrow, but i hard difficulty deflecting a great/heavy soul arrow (not sure which one it was).

try a lighter build maybe. dodging soul arrows, soul spears, and soulmasses it easy, but i have no experience vs dark sorcery.

*when you say magicians, are you also referring to pyromancy? because i haven't seen anyone mention it at all.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Personally I am currently playing a character who is a hybrid caster/melee. Started with pyromancer and just stacked int and bought every sorcery, and made my hand ax enchanted. Though the funny thing is I never PvP, I just sunbro with him.

If you reallly despise casters there is nothing more insulting than ninja flipping through or around everything they have and killing them with bleed. Especially if you can somehow manage that in heavy armor. I dont see anything caster-related in buffs or defensive spells though. Casters, especially glass cannon types, mostly rely on dealing massive damage before they recieve too much, so dodging everything and one shotting them would be the best "up yours" I can think of. Something funny to do though would be to just back off and nail them with a greatbow.silly Especially if you could one shot them with it or knock them off a ledge.

Or you could turn the tables by using chameleon and great magic barrier to get in close without much worry. Just a thought.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Too much wisdom on this post.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 pm

The laws of men are the same as the laws of nature. No matter what you do, it is the literal or metaphorical bodies of the weak you stand on with your success. Nobody can gain anything that didn't cost somebody or something at least a part of their lives.

Thats how the universe works.

also, what densetsushun said.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Hey op what about dealing mages with MAGIC! Here in my country we say "Combate el fuego con fuego" So this might be a chance to do this. Just look at this video i found and you will understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E09YHHOGqho
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Ashran wrote:Hey op what about dealing mages with MAGIC! Here in my country we say "Combate el fuego con fuego" So this might be a chance to do this. Just look at this video i found and you will understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E09YHHOGqho

Sorry, but nah. I'm not a hypocrite.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Well, i thought that if you hate bad mages you could just show them how magic an be used to fight with honor but whatever xD
    AFROJT
    AFROJT
    Regular
    Regular

Post by AFROJT Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Started using Vow of Silence today, used it the first time on a pure caster and he tried to cast after the effect had taken it's hold and did the "oh hell" gesture as my 2H Abyss greatsword came crashing down onto his head. He then tried to run away, got stuck on a tree then I killed him.

It's a pretty good tool, as I also hate mages.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 pm

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=229331152589183713

be warned its fatrolling, but you can spear turtle their magic shots or use wog or the grants super wog/ stun capabilities.
    Montante
    Montante
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Montante Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:36 am

The best part about playing a mage is when your opponent comes swinging at you and you parry him, followed by a poke in his eye with the TCC. They always get so mad about that. silly
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 am

Juutas wrote:My problem with magic users is that it sooooo boring to fight them. Everyone just runs away with their shield up...
    I'm glad you brought that up!
    Take a look at my anti-mage
    Dragon Shield for fire, crest for magic. Now you can block it, or dodge it via the DWGR.
    You have a large HP pool, tons of damage, the ability to ignore shields for those that turtle. The mage has no effective manner of offensive assault, and no manner of defensive either
    Montante
    Montante
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Montante Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:06 am

Rynn wrote:The mage has no effective manner of offensive assault, and no manner of defensive either

My most successful way of pvping as a pure caster has been to stay close and circle around the opponent, backing in and out of distance as they try to catch you. Once you've gotten a feel for the present lag, try to provoke an attack that you calculate to miss you by mere pixels while you spear'em right in the forehead. This is essentially living on the other player's mistake(s), which is never foolproof.

Eh. My hatred for magicians 3358384175
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:14 am

Montante wrote:
    Rynn wrote:The mage has no effective manner of offensive assault, and no manner of defensive either

My most successful way of pvping as a pure caster has been to stay close and circle around the opponent, backing in and out of distance as they try to catch you. Once you've gotten a feel for the present lag, try to provoke an attack that you calculate to miss you by mere pixels while you spear'em right in the forehead. This is essentially living on the other player's mistake(s), which is never foolproof.

Eh. My hatred for magicians 3358384175
    You can afford to live on another players mistake with this weapon set. You have a shield for all types of magic, and you have the a shotel for if they are trying to block. The shotel has enough range that unless the sorcerer is holding the poise to avoid being stunned by it, they most roll out of the way to avoid it. if you're rolling, I'm not dodging spells, and if you're not, I'm hitting you. If you don't roll, and I don't hit you, that's my error.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm