Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
aceluby
LunarFog
dancash1808
DE5PA1R
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Shkar
Buggy Virus
steveswede
Acarnatia
FattyOfDoom
carlucio
Serious_Much
Ashran
Saturday-Saint
Seignar
19 posters

The future of RES...

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The future of RES... Empty The future of RES...

Post by Seignar Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 pm

The resistance stat! It must rise from the valley of uselessness! It must be brought back as an equal stat worthy of investment:

Resistance

• The act or an instance of resisting or the capacity to resist.
    • A force that tends to oppose or retard motion.
    • often Resistance
      An underground organization engaged in a struggle for national
      liberation in a country under military or totalitarian occupation.
    • Psychology. A process in which the ego opposes the conscious recall of anxiety-producing experiences.
    • Biology.

1. The capacity of an organism to defend itself against a disease.
      2. The capacity of an organism or a tissue to withstand the effects of a harmful environmental agent.

• Electricity.
      The opposition of a body or substance to current passing through it,
      resulting in a change of electrical energy into heat or another form of
      energy.
    Resistance should increase physical, magical, fire and lightning defense as well as increase your resistances against Poison, Toxin, Bleed and whichever new aliment arises; in addition, it increases your poise by 1 (Capping at 40 poise). It should also lower your fall damage.
    It also should reduce the weight (that is taken into account by the weight system) of heavy armor pieces [To compensate, Heavy armor would be much heavier this time around] Long Live RES!

Do you believe RES should should be improved? Do you think this is a chance to improve it? Do you think they care? Why are you reading this instead of posting? Seriously, stop reading and post. Okay, now. Why are you still reading? STOP READING!
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

The future of RES... Empty Re: The future of RES...

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 pm

I think they should remove Resistance and leave the game with 7 stats.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Remove it or make it useful. But keeping it... damn trolls. What about pendant ascension?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

I say bring back luck, and luck scaling weapons to match for coolness. Lets be honest here, luck is a stat that while slightly unimportant is also useful.. resistance however while giving you an awesome debuff on damage if you're a pve challenger.. pvp it sucks balls. Luck would be better methinks.
    carlucio
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by carlucio Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Remove it.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Hopefully it becomes useful but 40 poise is too high. Maybe 20 at most,
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm

FattyOfDoom wrote:Hopefully it becomes useful but 40 poise is too high. Maybe 20 at most,

I don't think 40 poise is too high, in fact i'd argue it's about right, if high enough at all.

Think about it. In a SL100-120 build, investing 40 stat points into res will cause a MASSIVE decrease in offensive possibilities and capabilities. You'll use an elemental weapon, which are worse than a regular with 40 combat stat now. In other words, you're trading off power to be a tank, a viable build once you put in wolf ring and a bit of armour.

I think it would be really interesting to add in the poise ability for res. Would really give it some meaning in pvp, while in pve it'll still be relevant due to the damage debuff and resistance to death it gives. Most importantly too, it'll increase variety of builds, which is sorely needed in my opinion
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    FattyOfDoom wrote:Hopefully it becomes useful but 40 poise is too high. Maybe 20 at most,

I don't think 40 poise is too high, in fact i'd argue it's about right, if high enough at all.

Think about it. In a SL100-120 build, investing 40 stat points into res will cause a MASSIVE decrease in offensive possibilities and capabilities. You'll use an elemental weapon, which are worse than a regular with 40 combat stat now. In other words, you're trading off power to be a tank, a viable build once you put in wolf ring and a bit of armour.

I think it would be really interesting to add in the poise ability for res. Would really give it some meaning in pvp, while in pve it'll still be relevant due to the damage debuff and resistance to death it gives. Most importantly too, it'll increase variety of builds, which is sorely needed in my opinion

It would be fine if there weren't people like me who would poise stab everyone happy

In all seriousness, I think extra defence is fine, make it mean my 40 Res SL120 has like 150 extra defence in all stats than others.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Well, not everyone here loves poise stabbing people winking Also when they make BS more hard to pull of in the next game on other player characters (it's necessary, from must realise how bad it is), I think poise will become all the more important.. And hence the res boost from resistance just that much more useful and give us more to think about happy

I also think personally the addition of 150 defence when you sacrifice so much more in offence isn't enough on it's own. it's not really 'tanky' enough for me
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 pm

I think it should be dropped altogether because the Souls series features high damage and low health, meaning increases in offensive power will usually be more important than increases in defense. (aside from really high defense from armors) And while people do vary in how much poison, bleed and toxic they can take, people don't vary that much in how much fire or lightning they can survive. As Souls is, I think Resistance can't become a viable parameter for pvp without making it completely unrealistic and/or gimicky in a way that doesn't fit the Souls setting and gameplay.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 pm

I came up with the idea a while ago that it should be replaced with a new stat called agility (thanks to the person who came up with that name). Casting speed should be removed from dexterity and put into agility so dexterity is no longer over powered compared to strength. The agility stat also increases crossbow reload speed. Agility increases like attunement so when maxed out, crossbows can be fired like how Chester fires his. Firebombs, throwing knives, dung pies, lloyd's talisman, estus consumption speed up with investment in agility. Firebombs and throwing knives scale with agility plus boosted damage with firebomb and throwing knives crafting system. Also I think resistance should be just tied to humanity, similar to how curse works now.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 pm

They're tightening BS's?

YIIIIIIIIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE

Then I have no problem with it, that was generally the ONLY reason.

(I get poise stabbed a lot)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Casting speed isn't really the reason dex weapons are better than str weapons, but whatever.

I think it's an interesting idea, and i always thought throwing knives and firebombs were under powered. I'd love a character who could use items and make them more effective, or even at a strech, perhaps change them and adapt items into the magic category, as well as using the agility isdea?

and fatty no, it's not been talked about yet, i just sincerely hope and pray that its not as pathetically easy as tis now silly
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 pm

We can pray to Gywn that they will

Umbasa
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Casting speed isn't really the reason dex weapons are better than str weapons, but whatever.

I'm not saying that, I'm pointing out that if you had say to choose between a mage/dex or a mage/strength, you would go for the mage/dex because of casting speed increase. It's one of the things that make dex more powerful over strength.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Firebombs are underpowered. (though the amount you can carry is completely unrealistic) Throwing knives are useless because throwing knives are useless. I hope throwing knives stay useless and bombs become useful.
    Crossbows already reload in Souls WAY faster than they actually do. Those can take around a minute to reload and reset the mechanism. They just do a LOT more damage and are usually used by several people at once.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Firebombs are underpowered. (though the amount you can carry is completely unrealistic) Throwing knives are useless because throwing knives are useless. I hope throwing knives stay useless and bombs become useful.
    Crossbows already reload in Souls WAY faster than they actually do. Those can take around a minute to reload and reset the mechanism. They just do a LOT more damage and are usually used by several people at once.

Or they can just makke cross bows all fire 3 shots at once, or become like guts' crossbow

though i think we should leave realism out of this.. after all our guys can swing 2 metre lengths of solid rock and throw spears of pure lightning.. frankly having just a faster reloading crossbow seems more normal than that lol!
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Don't forget the massive dragon with a mouth in where his underbelly is.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Or the fact that our characters are really just walking talking piles of rotting flesh.

Oh, and there's a bagillion parallel universes... and we travel to each other by writing in soap or looking a a stone eye

did i mention the fact that no matter how big our opponent is, our probably shattered bones and sliced limbs seem to work fine? think i did.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm

I can turn my sword into a purple light saber with the help of my god who's a guy raised as a girl and has tentacles for legs

And wears a dress
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Or the fact that our characters are really just walking talking piles of rotting flesh.

Oh, and there's a bagillion parallel universes... and we travel to each other by writing in soap or looking a a stone eye

did i mention the fact that no matter how big our opponent is, our probably shattered bones and sliced limbs seem to work fine? think i did.

Facts like this make me laugh inside when I hear people making threads about wanting more realism.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Yeah, my pendantic self has learned to let that go and realise that when people say they want more 'realistic' combat, they really mean more accentuated, systematic and tactical like it is
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Then really they should be saying better combat, not realistic.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 pm

+1 steve
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Just add a coolness stat.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 pm