Dark Mage Supremacy (with defence tutorial)

Al1000
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Mage Supremacy (with defence tutorial)

Post by Al1000 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey guys,
    here is a video showing a use of dark magic and short tutorial how to defend against it. At the end some 1v2 fights in the forest are shown. I know people don't like dark magic but when you learn how to defend against it, it's quite easy. Doing this video I surprisingly didn't get any hate mails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jvpi2YETNg

Regards,
    Ribosome

Last edited by Al1000 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Re: Dark Mage Supremacy (with defence tutorial)

Post by ChizFreak on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:11 pm

broken link

Master Backstabber - Daddy Long Legs

PSN ID: ChizFreak - Steam ID: ChizFreak - YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChizFreak

Al1000
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Al1000 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm

ChizFreak wrote:broken link
    Tnx, fixed.

Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 pm

This basically reinforces the video posted earlier regarding good coop builds. In short, people who like to coop a lot will best serve hosts if they can provide options for shutting down mages, and healing everyone.

Another defensive tactic I've used involves being a high level Dragonbro. Combining dex and faith, I dodge virtually anything a dark mage throws. You have to stay extremely mobile until they exhaust their pursuers. While playing this chess game, pepper them with everything from poison arrows to lightning crossbow bolts just to keep them honest. It also requires patience, as you are are going to wait for openings to use your Dragon strengths.

The range on a roar is more than enough to interrupt a mage, and is faster than they can cast. If I stun them, the next strike from me is guaranteed with a weapon that closes range fast (Lifehunt is excellent). Combine this with GMB and you should be able to hold your own. However, the commitment to this build is immense. It requires 80 dragon scales to get the full range of your roar.
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:54 pm

So basically, if you aren't using a faith build, you're screwed?

That's kinda stupid, there's gotta be another for people who don't use magic and/or midroll to dodge it effectively.

Rolling through persuers definently works, as I've done it myself and that other guy in the video as well, but both Persuers and Dark Bead? I dunno ._. .

EDIT: Forgot to add this last part lol. Despite it not helping me, or anyone else who doesn't have access to the most effective ways to combat dark magic, thanks for posting this. It's very informative o/.

PSN: Xach_Attack

Al1000
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Al1000 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 am

XachAttack wrote:So basically, if you aren't using a faith build, you're screwed?
    I'm not saying this, only saying real threat for dark mages are faith builds.

XachAttack wrote:
    Rolling through persuers definently works, as I've done it myself and that other guy in the video as well, but both Persuers and Dark Bead? I dunno ._. .
    Rolling through persuers works but not always as seen on this very same video part you are talking about. Dodging can help against persuers but only if you have enough free space to dodge or you are able to hide between trees or etc... People are manage to dodge against 1-2 persuers, against 3, 4 or even 5 I don’t think so. If you combine persuers with dark beads that combo is deadly. Of course good pvper will always know how to defend against dark magic but average players will definitely find this tutorial very useful. With dark mage build I did at least 100 invasions and I won 90% of the fights, meaning is very hard to say that dark mage build is not dominant in pvp.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 am

Nice video and I really like the way you used Crysis 2 OST.

You forgot to mention Havel's Shield as good way of defence and the fact that if Dark Sorceries are used with Manus Catalyst, their physical side gets a boost and it does more damage through GMB. Even though, GMB is a great way to defend against it.

Well, I find dodging to be very effective and unless there's lag I emerge from the fight victorious. If you combine it woth GMB/VoS/Hidden Body, it's usually an easy win.

Hidden Body works better than Ring of Fog. When you use it, Pursuers won't fire at you at all, even if you get so close you could hug each other.

However, all of those are not usable by everyone. Not all builds have acess, nor can spare points to get Miracles and Sorceries. Those have to rely on either dodging, if they're light, or Havel's Shield / Stone Greatshield, if they're heavy.

Al1000
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Al1000 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:22 am

Sentiel wrote:Nice video and I really like the way you used Crysis 2 OST.

happy
    Sentiel wrote:You forgot to mention Havel's Shield as good way of defence and the fact that if Dark Sorceries are used with Manus Catalyst, their physical side gets a boost and it does more damage through GMB. Even though, GMB is a great way to defend against it.

I didn't because stats for Havel shield are quite high unless you're going in direction of strength turtle build. I didn't acknowledge all known defence techniques, only those the most commonly used in PvP. I also believe Havel turtle can be beaten easily as seen at 1:13. Anyway good comment on topic.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:10 am

Al1000 wrote:I also believe Havel turtle can be beaten easily as seen at 1:13.
    He did a fatal mistake when he thought that his Dragon King Greataxe can actually attack fast enough to not get punished. He could turtle all your casts and survive if he wasn't impatient.

Using 50 Str for Havel's, or 38 for Stone Great Shield and block the damage is just as viable as using GMB, or VoS and the stat investment to use Stone is nearly the same. It's also the best way for tanks and Str builds im general to deal with Sorceries. happy

Al1000
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Al1000 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am

Sentiel wrote:He did a fatal mistake when he thought that his Dragon King Greataxe can actually attack fast enough to not get punished. He could turtle all your casts and survive if he wasn't impatient.

Using 50 Str for Havel's, or 38 for Stone Great Shield and block the damage is just as viable as using GMB, or VoS and the stat investment to use Stone is nearly the same. It's also the best way for tanks and Str builds im general to deal with Sorceries. happy
    Agree. Turtles with spears can be annoying for sorcerers, then backup weapon and BS fish come very handy happy

Edit: If you analyze damage from turtle with Havel shield at 13:22, persuers + dark beads = 375, and compare how much vitality has left you will notice that with 3 persuers and 6 dark beads I could easly take this man down, of course no flasking is a condition.

Last edited by Al1000 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 am

Al1000 wrote:
    Agree. Turtles with spears can be annoying for sorcerers, then backup weapon and BS fish come very handy happy
    As a Mage myself, I always keep a handy MLBH and some Chaos weapons in reserves for GMB and VoS users. Well MLBH is a beast in itself tbh. twisted

jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 am

Ahh... dark magic, the ultimate solution to gankers.

You got some sticky white stuff on your sword Look Skyward
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 am

jjshowal wrote:Ahh... dark magic, the ultimate solution to gankers.
    Unless they use it as well. twisted

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Most aoe magic is incredibly difficult to dodge while mid rolling, if the caster knows how to aim at all.

Face facts guys, midrolling without havels shield and/or gmb and flash sweat is just begging to be cannon fodder for a caster of any kind. Always has been. This isn't new. If it wasn't dark magic it would be great fire ball, emit force and the mlgs r2.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Most aoe magic is incredibly difficult to dodge while mid rolling, if the caster knows how to aim at all.

Face facts guys, midrolling without havels shield and/or gmb and flash sweat is just begging to be cannon fodder for a caster of any kind. Always has been. This isn't new. If it wasn't dark magic it would be great fire ball, emit force and the mlgs r2.
    Forum is so harsh and cruel, but he's also right.

FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:05 pm

I'm not whining "it's OP 😢", but c'mon you gotta admit it is not very balanced(not that Dark Souls ever was lol). It feels just like pre patch fog ring, or dragon body glitch. Except it is legit. If the only way to deal with it in a small area is a certain kind of build that is kind of lame, and even then they can just avoid you until the buffs are gone which isn't hard(that is key,in large areas dark magic really isn't an issue which is why i don't care). I have been taking a break lately, but the last few times ive played any area that is fairly small is just full of dark mages. Oh well, there's not going to be another patch so gotta live with it. I've put enough hours into Dark Souls that i don't really care. I hope they do a better job with the balancing of the next game, i have a feeling it might be even worse though lol.

Good job on the video btw
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm not saying it isn't overused (arguably because its the best,) what I'm saying is that the entire system (magic or otherwise) is biased against mid rolling and there are numerous things that mid rollers just can't deal with without an unusually high amount of skill. If its not dark magic, its aoe magic, if its not that its spears, if its not that its roll bsing, next is the scythe and ugs's.

Midrolling just isn't competition material. Never has been. Perhaps the whole system needs a rebalance (I think it does) but until it comes, complaining about losing to db with a midroller is like complaining about losing to a ferrari in a volkswagen beetle.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Yea i don't disagree with that. If i'm mid rolling i am basically doing it to challenge myself.
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm

I don't understand all the hate against dark magic. For Pursuers, all you have to do is walk. Don't roll, don't run, just walk, and they can't catch up to you. As for Beads, rolling easily dodges them. It gets a little tricky when you have to dodge Bead spamming while being chased by Pursuers, but a little practice should allow anyone to handle it.

As for the Silver Pendant, that's just begging for a CSS to the face!

Al1000
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Al1000 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:29 am

Thanks guys for all comments on topics.

Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:29 pm

I can post my answer allllllllll day long!

Get fast rool, learn to dodge. Dodge all the spells = win ? I only lost against one dark magic spell, and just because i maked a mistake.

Hell everyone of you has a healthy brain (i hope ..) DONT RUSH LIKE
    AN IDIOT A DARK MAGE! If you cant dodge, play defencely. If you can
    dodge and have a fast weapon, bring the mage unter pressure.
    In my opinion, if you cant dodge the dark spells (even with 50% roll i
    dodge them) your a bad player. Execpt lag is involved, this is unlucky.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:36 am