Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Hydreigon11
jjshowal
Shakie666
The Letter X
Juutas
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Kirk-Barb
11 posters

Great Scythe !!!!

Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Great Scythe !!!! Empty Great Scythe !!!!

Post by Kirk-Barb Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 pm

If you haven't tried the Great Scythe, then you are missing out on a very nice weapon for PVP.

I'm building my lvl 55 darkwraith and have planned all along to use the Great Scythe because I'm going for a death/nazghul look. I have never used it before and as with any new weapon expected the dying a lot learning curve. Heck, when learning to use the Gravelord Sword with my gravelord character, I died so much I almost gave up on it.

But not so with the Great Scythe. In PVE I quickly got it's range and learned how easy it was to dead angle. I turned it chaos this morning and fought my first invader in Sens with it. I was a little uncertain at first. I know what you do in PVE does not translate exactly the same as in PVP. But it pretty much did. When my foe tried to BS me with his rapier, I maintained a medium range and reached out to touch him with a dead angle as he hid behind his shield. I have never before been able to dead angle on purpose. But during this fight I hit him with a dead angle every time I went for it. My foe finally just gave up trying to fight with his rapier and resorted to WOG spamming. But I maintained my range and hid behind my crest shield. Right between his 2nd and third cast I smacked him through the head with the blade and put him out of my misery.

I know many in this forum have touted the wonders of the Great Scythe. Well today I'm a believer!!! 👽
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Great Scythe !!!! Empty Re: Great Scythe !!!!

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:20 pm

yeah it makes both a great offensive and defensive weapon, the two handed running attack is greta for catching opponents who are backing up, whats more it weighs the same as a katana, i've often wondered why people use katanas when they have the great scythe...
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Yeah... Great Scythe is great...too great. It may well have THE best moveset of the game and the damage on those R2's is just devastating.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 pm

I stopped using the Great Scythe because I was tired of getting OP messages. That's kind of redundant I guess, since I switched to katanas.

It is a great weapon, though. Don't forget to throw in the forward+R2 attacks for parry-happy opponents
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Two handed runing attack.... forward +R2 attack. Soooo much I haven't even tried yet.

Yeeeessssss.... twisted
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:37 pm

I only recently discovered the joys of the great scythe, after doing a low sl run. Has anyone noticed the 2H R2 is even more powerful that the jumping R2 attack? I know its powerful, but they'd better not nerf it, its the only dex weapon I actually like.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Shakie666 wrote:I only recently discovered the joys of the great scythe, after doing a low sl run. Has anyone noticed the 2H R2 is even more powerful that the jumping R2 attack? I know its powerful, but they'd better not nerf it, its the only dex weapon I actually like.

The 2H R2 is actually slightly weaker,, but only by single digits. It's easier to get counter damage with the 2H R2, though.
    jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:09 pm

My favorite PvP character uses a +15 painting guardian sword with a DMB buff and then a chaos great scythe +5. Forward R2 is so awesome.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 pm

why not use a +15 gscythe and buff it?
    Hydreigon11
    Hydreigon11
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hydreigon11 Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 pm

I love the great scythe, I'm using it as a back up to a buffed katana, but sometimes I just throw that out the window and use the Great Scythe, I need to NG+ that character and get a +15 Great Scythe avec SLB, I will LOVE IT.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm

I've tried the GS. Never felt right to me. I've been on the recieving end of it's power, but it just doesn't work well for me.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

reim0027 wrote:I've tried the GS. Never felt right to me. I've been on the recieving end of it's power, but it just doesn't work well for me.

From what I can tell, those who used it in PvE for a long time beforehand feel much more comfortable with it - this is the case with every weapon, but moreso with the GS.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm

I wonder how well it would work as a second weapon with a Mura. The Mura has problems with spears and rolly-slicey-rolly weapons.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 pm

I like its 1h R2's for roll-attack-rollers. The wide arc seems to always catch them for counter damage - on their first or second roll. The followup R2 is pretty quick as well.

It can be useful against spears, but only slightly better than most weapons. I find its 2h R2's better against them than its running attack because of the way spear users work. They normally try to poke and roll, but because of natural latency issues the 2h R2 either hits them during their poke or when theyathey attempt to roll away.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 pm

the great scythes a little to slow to handle spears imo reim. i'd suggest halberds, pikes and bows for spear users... or a sks or ds.

your mura is a great alternative to the great scythe.

and yeah op.. the gs is pretty fun to use. i run around like sonic the hedgehog unlocked with the thing hahah. try the halberd or mura out if you have a char with the stats. they're fun too and hit just as hard.

Last edited by Rifter7 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 pm

It's very good, but it's better used as a defensive weapon because there are quite a few weapons and movesets that can counter it if you're too aggressive.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 pm

^

it can be good for fighting overly defensive players too.. or just plain backstabbing people it's ar is crazy.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 am

I've used Great Scythe and Lifehunt Scythe for quite some time, but I gave up on them. They are great weapons, but I can't seem to handle them.
    They eat through my Stamina in an instant and since most Scythe users tend to spam the running R1, most opponents I've faced just parried me and I admit I do the same to Scythe users. Just wait for it and parry their running R1.

Also, Scythes have long recovery time, so a good spear user can make mincemeat out of them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm