Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Share
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by densetsushun on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 pm

    I've noticed when I'm low on stamina, an attack that just manages to break my guard just depletes my stamina but attacks that are much heavier end up hurting me. Does anyone know at what point this occurs and how the damage taken is calculated?
    avatar
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

    Posts : 1125
    Reputation : 240
    Join date : 2012-01-16

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by ublug on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:28 pm

    No, but I'm guessing it has to do with how far into negative stamina the blocked hit goes, for it to be defined as a break or a hit. It's hard to test it when you cant see what happens on screen though.
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by densetsushun on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 pm

    ublug wrote:No, but I'm guessing it has to do with how far into negative stamina the blocked hit goes, for it to be defined as a break or a hit. It's hard to test it when you cant see what happens on screen though.
    Yeah, that only seems logical. It makes me wonder if stability and stamina factor into their damage reduction formula, it seems easier to code it that way and a bit more logical than doing a separate formula for damage reduction/guard break damage.

    Anyone interested in trying to test this out?
    avatar
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2613
    Reputation : 122
    Join date : 2012-09-15
    Location : Southern US

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by The Letter X on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm

    densetsushun wrote:
    ublug wrote:No, but I'm guessing it has to do with how far into negative stamina the blocked hit goes, for it to be defined as a break or a hit. It's hard to test it when you cant see what happens on screen though.
    Yeah, that only seems logical. It makes me wonder if stability and stamina factor into their damage reduction formula, it seems easier to code it that way and a bit more logical than doing a separate formula for damage reduction/guard break damage.

    Anyone interested in trying to test this out?

    Soris Goldwing and I did some testing on guard breaks and we haven't quite finished yet. We may be able to add in damage on guard breaks if we ever finish.


    _________________
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by densetsushun on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:13 pm

    The Letter X wrote:Soris Goldwing and I did some testing on guard breaks and we haven't quite finished yet. We may be able to add in damage on guard breaks if we ever finish.
    I'd offer my characters if they're in your range, barring timezone issues and connection(I don't exactly have gaming reliable speeds ^^" )
    avatar
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2613
    Reputation : 122
    Join date : 2012-09-15
    Location : Southern US

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by The Letter X on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:15 pm

    We're on Xbox, and we stay around the SL 100-120 range. We might not get back to these tests until as late as next week, but I'll try to stay in touch to keep you informed.


    _________________
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by densetsushun on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

    Ah, too bad, I'm on PS3 sad Would love to hear the results though.


    _________________
    George Takei:
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

    1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

    Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    avatar
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2613
    Reputation : 122
    Join date : 2012-09-15
    Location : Southern US

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by The Letter X on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 pm

    I'll try to get with Soris this weekend or next weekend, and one of us will post the results in the PvP section. We're planning to test poise breaks on rolling attacks and the like on the bigger weapons, stamina damage while blocking different weapons, and I'll try to add in damage done on a guard break.


    _________________
    avatar
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 7540
    Reputation : 74
    Join date : 2012-12-07
    Age : 22
    Location : Here, there, nowhere

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

    This weekend I might host at sen's for that event X, however I got a three-day weekend after this one and should pull that back into work. Densetsushun from what I know a guard's stamina drain depends on the shield's stability and ability to wield it against the weapon you're facing. For example the effect of not having the faith requirement with a sanctus is having your guard broken easily by strong attacks.


    _________________

    Sponsored content

    Re: Guardbreak damage mechanic

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm