Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Future is here...

ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Future is here... Empty Future is here...

Post by ChizFreak Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Valve (Steam, Half-Life, Portal) has taken a step forward, and are already making their own Console/PC. What's so special? They trying to make the most powerful PC possible, while being small enough you can hold it with your hand, AND making it very tinkering friendly, meaning almost anyone could learn to change parts, and so far, it looks like they are achieving it.

Just take a look at this video, it's a FULL PC that fits in your hand, most people would confuse it with a speaker! I can't find the video trailer on YouTube featuring all the info, I only find interviews with the guys at the CES, so I'm going to post the link to the video in a spanish page, the video is completely in English without subtitles so you won't have a problem:

http://www.3djuegos.com/videos/0f0f0f24328/
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Future is here... Empty Re: Future is here...

Post by cloudyeki Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Nice, looks like I know what I'm buying after boot camp
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 pm

No disk drive, no purchase.

Unless of course they can promise me they'll be selling games half price to compensate me for lack of an actual physical product, but that ain't gonna happen is it.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Serious_Much wrote:No disk drive, no purchase.

Unless of course they can promise me they'll be selling games half price to compensate me for lack of an actual physical product, but that ain't gonna happen is it.

Lol why do you even want physical games? I can get it if you mean collector's edition, but if it's just the plain game... as I said in that thread about used games and the digital market, when the digital market is the standard (that WILL happen), games will low their prices. Look at Steam. They do that not only because it fires up sales, but because they actually CAN do it. If all their selling were physical there would be a big loss of money in all those discounts because of the production physical copies require.

I understand all that about lend a game to a friend, but that's not fair to me for the developers, but I agree that there should be way that if YOU go to your friends' house you should be able to play the games you have (supposing both have the same console/capable PC). That will be solved by Cloud Gaming. You go to your friends', then just log into your account and BAM, all your games are there. That's exactly how steam works right now, except you have to download the games first. Cloud Gaming will remove the download part along with hardware requirements. But yeah... Internet Service Providers will rule the world...
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm just old school i guess. I feel like purchasing something I can't physically 'own' isn't really worth it. Hence why I keep on buying CDs of music rather than using itunes or illegal downloading etc.

Trust me, i know what i'm saying is pretty retarded, but i just hate the idea that i can't actually have a disk... I guess there is probably some kind of psychological term for this lol!
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I'm just old school i guess. I feel like purchasing something I can't physically 'own' isn't really worth it. Hence why I keep on buying CDs of music rather than using itunes or illegal downloading etc.

Trust me, i know what i'm saying is pretty retarded, but i just hate the idea that i can't actually have a disk... I guess there is probably some kind of psychological term for this lol!

Future-phobia ?
    lol

Anyway, I understand you POV, but things change, sometimes for bad (game industry growing, companies only caring for money etc.), sometimes for good (digital distribution, cloud gaming, all these will make it easier both to develop AND to be able to play games), and this is certainly good.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I guess it could be good, but not being able to lend your mates games will suck. If i'd buy it preowned anyway i see no harm in borrowing it... you know what that's a self defeating point but whatever silly

Definite future-phobi going on right here haha
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Isn't it out already?
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Isn't it out already?

No. The device in the video is just a prototype.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:51 pm

So i actually bothered looking and it's a console for steam?

I don't really understand the market for it when laptops/computers can do the same as that, except do other stuff too and their competing console brands already have the market by the balls.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 pm

It's a modular PC, the idea is you can quickly and easily swap parts out in a matter of minutes and you will never have to plan to buy a new PC after a few years.

As is right now, it probably has the power of a standard desktop. With some specialized parts it could be a powerful gaming or art computer or whatever you want a PC for.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 pm

cloudyeki wrote:It's a modular PC, the idea is you can quickly and easily swap parts out in a matter of minutes and you will never have to plan to buy a new PC after a few years.

As is right now, it probably has the power of a standard desktop. With some specialized parts it could be a powerful gaming or art computer or whatever you want a PC for.

Yeah their main weapons will be:

• Standard device price, cheap replacement parts.
    • Very easy to move. It's very small and resistant (I saw on a video that they put a car on top of it and the device was perfectly fine).
    • Easy to tinker, you can replace parts quick and easily.
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 am

Of course something like this would come out right after I spent a bunch of money building my own computer... On a less pessimistic note, that thing looks pretty cool cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm