Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Shkar
Acarnatia
arshan272
7 posters

What is Sorcery?

arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

What is Sorcery? Empty What is Sorcery?

Post by arshan272 Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Miracles explained. Pyromancy Explained. Sorcery . . . all I know is that Seath made it. But what is it? Why does it exist? Whose Souls are in the Arrow? How does it work? Tell me everything you know! (or please refer me to another, older topic.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What is Sorcery? Empty Re: What is Sorcery?

Post by Acarnatia Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:10 am

I'm guessing that, like in Demon's Souls, it's essentially using souls as a material that alters reality. Using and manipulating souls, something quite different and perhaps 'above' physical matter, you and/or I can cause changes in the world that are otherwise physically impossible. While sorcery was invented by Seath and has a dragon flair, it seems to be intrinsically tied to manipulating a reality-altering substance. This is why it was called the 'soul arts' in Demon's Souls. The mechanics of it seem to be the same between both games; it just isn't stressed as much in Dark Souls. I think this is because the soul arts is one of the main controversies and questions in the game, whereas it isn't in Dark Souls.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 am

Technically speaking, Seathe didn't create Sorcery as a whole, though it is likely that he formed the basis of the sorceries we actually USE.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:13 am

Shkar would be correct. There were once fire sorceries, and olacile/dark were also developed separately. The blueish ones were either created by Seath, or are an attempt to mimic his power. Seath is the inspiration for the Vinheim branch of sorceries. Vinheim Dragon School, Slumbering/Bellowing/Lingering Dragoncrest Ring. Seath is the dragon from which the school gets it's name from.

I think the Rings have a somewhat different source of inspiration though. We know from Kalameet, the dragon weapons, and covenant items, that almost all dragons posses magic in some form. So it's possible that Vinheim simply uses dragons in general as a symbol of magical power. The Dragon depicted on the rings themselves however, actually looks closer to Kalameet than any other dragon seen in Dark Souls. Which makes sense, Kalameet was the only dragon still alive(besides Seath who spent most of his time locked up in the Archives) by the time humans entered the scene. Therefore Kalameet, being the strongest dragon in the series lore-wise, would be feared and respected because of his power. The symbol of a dragon on the Dragoncrest Rings is a sign of respect towards that power, and shows that Vinheim Sorcerers wish to one day become as powerful as dragons once were.

Also, keep Gyndolin in mind. Gwyndolin uses sorceries which appear to be faith based, they seem to be the same hue of blue as the darkmoon blade. However, they also behave similarly to ones we can learn. He could have developed them separately, Magical Convergence if you will, or it's possible he also created them by imitating Seath.
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gambs_the_Grey Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Its interesting you say about vinheim scholars wanting to become as powerful as the dragons once were. Makes me think about Logan.

I remember the first time I got dragon torso stone for my int build, I was in ash lake, took all my armour off (but i was still wearing big hat) trying to get the torso stone to work.

Makes me wonder if Logan was messing around with dragon body in the dukes archive, and a possible reason for him being naked when you fight him.. Just a thought
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Gambs_the_Grey wrote:Its interesting you say about vinheim scholars wanting to become as powerful as the dragons once were. Makes me think about Logan.

I remember the first time I got dragon torso stone for my int build, I was in ash lake, took all my armour off (but i was still wearing big hat) trying to get the torso stone to work.

Makes me wonder if Logan was messing around with dragon body in the dukes archive, and a possible reason for him being naked when you fight him.. Just a thought

lol poor guy probably forgot he was wearing a hat.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Eki's thread is the most comprehensive discussion I think we've had about magic, miracles and pyromancy. I don't usually link to the old guard's threads since that doesn't promote new conversation but I think there's some good thoughts in there and more importantly, arshan stated that old threads were good.
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Peaceful Wollyhop Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Gambs_the_Grey wrote: Makes me wonder if Logan was messing around with dragon body in the dukes archive, and a possible reason for him being naked when you fight him.. Just a thought

I believe he is naked to become more like Seath in a mad effort to gain knowledge and power.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm