Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Serious_Much
Anonymous Proxy
densetsushun
Argetlam350
Onion Knight
9 posters

Please lock. Thanks.

Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Please lock. Thanks. - Page 5 Empty Re: Please lock. Thanks.

Post by Onion Knight Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:02 pm

I should probably put what server I'm on for people that are interested I guess. aha silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 pm

You're pc im guessing?
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Cross platform servers remember? (I think I mentioned it in the game info section silly ) We are all together on the same servers regardless of platform. winking
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Are you serious?!

Thats the most amazing thing to happen in online gaming since the integrated online system of souls
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:15 pm

I think other games have done it before. (portal 2 comes to mind?) But yeah it's pretty neat. The linkshell I'm in is probably going to double in number because of the PS3 release. happy

EDIT: I'm an idiot! Final Fantasy XI did it too! silly

Last edited by Onion Knight on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:15 pm

I got the CE of the original FF14 (because it was only €25,- lol! )

I only played during the B2P phase of the game though, and only for like 2 weeks. Do I get anything for that?

Also, is ARR any good? The original was terribad, and when I read that they gave up trying to improve that one and instead just redo it and copy WoW, I didn't think that really boded well.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Hello Elifia. I've posted a tonne of gameplay streams in the info section for you to check out.

No it isn't copying WoW, if anything it's similar to FF XI and Everquest. It's still in beta but the game is already miles better than XIV.

As for B2P no, only those who subbed before it got closed down get bonus' in A Realm Reborn. Although if you use the same account your character from the original version will be in A Realm Reborn regardless of whether you subbed or not.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Onion Knight wrote: Hello Elifia. I've posted a tonne of gameplay streams in the info section for you to check out.

No it isn't copying WoW, if anything it's similar to FF XI and Everquest. It's still in beta but the game is already miles better than XIV.

As for B2P no, only those who subbed before it got closed down get bonus' in A Realm Reborn. Although if you use the same account your character from the original version will be in A Realm Reborn regardless of whether you subbed or not.

'Similar to Everquest'. But WoW was an EQ-clone. I never played FF11, so I dunno about that. The reason I brought up the WoW thing though was because I read some kind of Dev quote that the developers hadn't played WoW so they made the developers play WoW or something? Shrug

As for gameplay videos, I never really got a good image of a game from just the gameplay videos. For most games, when I watched the videos and then played it myself it was a totally different experience. But I guess I'll watch the videos anyway (although later, don't have quite enough time right now).
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Elfia just because someone played something doesn't mean theyll make a game like it... It was probably to show what makes WoW successful in terms of player integration.. or something silly
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Elifia wrote:
    Onion Knight wrote: Hello Elifia. I've posted a tonne of gameplay streams in the info section for you to check out.

'Similar to Everquest'. But WoW was an EQ-clone. I never played FF11, so I dunno about that. The reason I brought up the WoW thing though was because I read some kind of Dev quote that the developers hadn't played WoW so they made the developers play WoW or something? Shrug

As for gameplay videos, I never really got a good image of a game from just the gameplay videos. For most games, when I watched the videos and then played it myself it was a totally different experience. But I guess I'll watch the videos anyway (although later, don't have quite enough time right now).

Because the original team that made XIV hadn't played MMO's before. (Seriously) So the new director after the failed launch Yoshida told them to go out and play all the MMO's on the market, so naturally this includes WoW.

I don't get why so many MMO fans throw around the term 'clone' like it's going out of style, all MMO's take elements that work from others, just like any other video game genre.

But I digress. This thread isn't about MMO development. Ehh get the feeling this won't end well ... this always happens ... though it was different here .. heh.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Onion Knight wrote:Because the original team that made XIV hadn't played MMO's before. (Seriously) So the new director after the failed launch Yoshida told them to go out and play all the MMO's on the market, so naturally this includes WoW.

I don't get why so many MMO fans throw around the term 'clone' like it's going out of style, all MMO's take elements that work from others, just like any other video game genre.

But I digress. This thread isn't about MMO development. Ehh get the feeling this won't end well ... this always happens ... though it was different here .. heh.
    Ah, maybe I remembered it wrong then, I thought it was just WoW. It's been a bunch of months since I read it.

The reason the term 'clone' gets thrown around so much is because basically every MMO takes the standard model of:
    -Quest solo until max level.
    -Do dailies at max level solo.
    -Do raids at max level to collect gear really really slowly so you can progress to the next raid, etc, at max level.
    -Holy Trinity

That's not some elements. That's your core features. But I'll shut up about it now, I only wanted to know if ARR was anything like that, so if you say it's not I'll believe you happy I'll check the videos tomorrow.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:16 pm

what the hell is holy trinity?
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Condensed version of the PC and PS3 gameplay stream I have found. Adding to the OP.

Also adding my server and contact details if you need to get in touch.

Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:10 am

Serious_Much wrote:what the hell is holy trinity?

That's the trinity of Tank/Healer/DPS. It's when basically your whole gameplay consists of 1 person with insane defence taunting all the mobs to soak up all the damage, 1 person playing whack-a-mole with hp bars and the rest of the group standing at a distance spamming rotations.

Anyway, I watched most of the videos. The ones that I didn't really watch were the 'letter from the developer' ones. Too much talking, I'd rather read a transcript.
    Problem is, the videos that I did watch didn't really tell me anything. They just showed me the environment, the prologue, and the class skills (which was just a bunch of flashiness and didn't actually tell me anything about the class skills).

So, if I were to play this game, what would I be doing most of the time? What is my goal?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:04 am

I'm pretty sure like any final fantasy you'll be moving around fighting a lot of baddies before killing a boss to advance...

What I'm more concerned about is a plot or story within it.. Most MMOs don't really have anything like that present, though from something with "Final Fantasy" on it, I kinda expect a fantasy story, and a pretty good one at that.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:01 am

To put his bluntly this thread is not here to sell the game to you. It's info for people who are already interested mainly about the beta access and release date.

So if you've come here for that to happen I suggest you look elsewhere.

Also your looking for a group based RPG to ditch the holy trinity?!? What? I'd hate to break this to you but the holy trinity has been in Final Fantasy games since the first back in 1987. It's not an exclusive mmo mechanic at all. Nearly all RPG's that have group combat have the damn mechanic.

And what is the purpose? Well Serious (accidentally) summed it up: it's what any Final Fantasy fan expects from an MMO. A long storyline mixed with a huge number of story related side-quests, plenty of dungeons, ruins, caves with tonnes of familiar monsters to kill. As well as the benefits of an MMO such as huge amounts of group content.

In all honestly unless I said it did away with every RPG let alone MMO convention for the sake of innovation then you would never be interested.

And what this thread wasn't for is people making snide remarks about the game without even bothering to read the op or what the hell the thread was about. I personally don't wander in to threads of games I don't care for or know much about and make sweeping antagonistic statements, but maybe that's just a personal preference of mine.

Like common courtesy, I am also becoming non-existent in this thread.
    /end of subject.

EDIT: If anyone wants to lock this then feel free. Could really care less right now.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:15 am

Onion, calm down mate, he just wanted a bit of extra information. In fairness this is the only FFXIV thread on here so people with questions were always gonna come here.

He'll probably see your response and be done with the questions now you've explained to him, there's no reason to start saying to lock this thread happy

If you want it locked though, could I say maybe copying over all the OP material and specifying that you don't want people going in just to criticise?

Anyways, I'm just hoping I get into the beta, will be a fun new experience (I've never tried one before, great that it's from one of my favourite game series), and in the summer when it's on I'll have plenty of time to indulge myself happy

I reckon I'll love it to be honest, FF with multiple players filling roles sounds like strategist's dream, which is exactly what the most recent Final fantasies missed really.

We'll see if the beta can sway me into indulging the money silly
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:50 am

I have no problem with people wanting information about certain aspects or asking questions. I've answered plenty already.

What I do have a problem with is snide and antagonistic remarks about the game.

If people are just going to ignore the op and do this then yes the thread getting locked would probably be a good idea all round.

I'm not sure what you mean by copying over all the op material though. (My hangover is not helping thought process.)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:16 am

Well I'm sure there won't be any more remarks made, especially since his questions been answered.

I don't think the thread needs locking, there's no reason, it's a good resource for information about the game

I mean if you wanted to have someone else take over the thread, or you wanted to renew the thread without the comments that have been entered in it, I'd hope you'd allow time to copy over all the information in the OP before getting this locked, as once that's done you can't quote over or copy over information from the thread
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:05 am

If someone else wants to take over then they can feel free. As long as they message me about it before they do it.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 am

Well i would take it over but only if you really wanted to not keep this going..

And of course I won't even be updating it, since i dunno where to get this news stuff from, nor the effort silly
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 am

I just get the info from my linkshell.

http://distantworld.enjin.com/home

Any official news and information about the game is posted on the timeline thing.

There's also the official website.

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/

And youtubers like Leonesaurus do update video's with links in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Leonesaurus1990

Just remember to only post officially disclosed information. And not to disclose beta information that only testers would know. (otherwise Square Enix will hire someone to take you out. silly)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:23 am

If you could whack that in PM and message it to me so I could save it for later use, i'd be grateful happy

I'll make the thread then i guess
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:28 am

I shall. Time to get this locked then.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:42 am

I'd just like to point out that I'm female Please lock. Thanks. - Page 5 Shifty and that I had no intention of making antagonistic remarks towards FFXIV, and that I want to apologise for coming across as such.

Anyway, I got the information I was after, so I bid you farewell.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm