Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
raecor14
DoughGuy
Tolvo
Elite Knight
Onion Knight
Sloth9230
KomradDakka
Saturday-Saint
dancash1808
bloodpixel
PlasticandRage
Forum Pirate
Serious_Much
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
18 posters

Money-grubbing Sony

ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Money-grubbing Sony - Page 5 Empty Re: Money-grubbing Sony

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 am

Sloth9230 wrote:It can be good when done well, Dark Souls says high. But day-one DLC that's already on the disc and only needs an unlock key is just BS.

I wouldn't mind if they added back all the content that they originally cut as DLC. So long as it's done well.

There are lots of indie studios out there that release free updates with lot of new content for the game, it's basically free DLC, except it's mixed with bug fixes. I will make the same when I make my own games silly, free updates and DLC until I get bored of the game.

If "big" studios made this they would win lots of fans, and that's just plain obvious. But at the same time, they would be paying hundreds of employees to keep working on new content for the game for free, thus not having any profit. Indie Studios do this because they just "don't care" about money (mostly). Anyways most of the time this kind of actions fires up sales of games.
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:36 am

any of you folks see what happened to '(the) War Z'?

one of the most blatant cut and run scams ive seen ever... glad i didnt get suckered into that!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:54 am

Sloth9230 wrote:If you don't think the game is going to be any good, then don't buy/play it. New or Used. Believing that a game is going to suck is no reason to not pay the Game Developers for their work(however piss-*** it may be). If you want to pay less because you think the game might suck, then wait for it's price to drop.

I hate fish, you wont see me buying sushi just because it's price changed.

The only thing I hate about all this is that all new games cost the same amount. Whoever decided on generalized prices is an idiot. The Uncharted series had way more work put into it than any of the WWE games and many others.
    Its not that he thinks it will suck, its that he doesn't know. I wasn't sure I would like deus ex, so I waited. If I'd spent $60 on that 14 hour long game, I'd have been furious. Not worth $60, at all, due to the short length, lack of multiplayer and extremely low replay-ability. What serious is saying is that the initial price should reflect this.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:03 am

Agreed, some games simply aren't worth what they charge for them. I think that developers should release Demo's more often, especially if it's a new IP. You can't expect someone to blindly hand over 60$ to you just because you told them it would be a good dame, give them a chance to see for themselves.

Edit: This reminds me that I have yet to try the DMC demo silly
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:07 am

I was sold on SSX 2012 months before its release. I probably spent 10 hours on the demo.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:21 am

I also think that there should be more varied game prices. I would be completely willing to pay 80 for a new game, if I actually thought it was worth it. With DLC, I think I payed around 80 for Fallout New Vegas anyway. Considering how long I played it, I'd say that was money well spent(savefile issues not withstanding).

But you will never convince to me pay 60$ for a Sonic the Hedgehog game. I'd spend 30 at most If I honestly couldn't finds something more interesting looking.

I miss the days when all PS2 games started at 35 or 40.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:29 am

i feel like the ******* in this thread that just disagrees with everything, BUT Day 1 DLC id the best time to release DLC competitively. because lets face it, how many games do you play for longer than a month or 2? for me its pretty much dark souls, COD and sacred 2. and that's being generous to sacred and COD. and most games i finish within a fortnight (remember im 16, i have way way way too much free time) forget about them in a month and buy then is ANY DLC had been released, i would not have even cared. even for some REALLY good games like dragon age the day 1 stuff never even interested me so thats why they have day 1 dlc. ALSO dlc is the best way to give DEV.s support because it cuts out the shipping and EB cuts.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 am

Day 1 DLC is fine. Content that looks like it was cut from the main game so they could make it DLC, or stuff that is already on the disc but is locked so I have to pay for it separately, isn't. Who wants to pay 60$ for an incomplete game? I'm not pointing any fingers, but I'm looking at you Capcom...

For instance, the new DmC(also Capcom) game already has Day 1 dlc announced. So long as the main game is long enough, I won't care at all. For all I know, they finished the main game a few months ago and developed the DLC after that.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 am

I play most every game for more than 2 months. I've spent a good 200 hours on saint row 3, a couple thousand on both NFS hot pursuit and dks, 600+on halo reach, 400 on SSX, 200 on black ops, 500 on skyrim, 200 on fallout new vegas and so many on borderlands it would destroy the world to try and express it in numbers.

I play the hell out of most games I buy, especially full price.

As for day 1 dlc, dragon age origins is my example of why it tends to be BS.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:55 am

DLC tends to be the content the devs wanted to be put into the game but due to time/money/other reasons they couldn't, we all have to remember, just because the DLC is day one dose not mean that it was completed at the games (except for EA games who tend to do this more than is called for).
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:01 am

Do you know what Tekken Tag 2 did? They kept characters that weren't completed from the public, and they've been releasing them as free DLc over time once they were done with testing. They're mostly clones but not all of them are.

I'd rather they push back the release date rather than charge me extra for content that was meant to be on the disc.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:07 am

Sloth9230 wrote:Do you know what Tekken Tag 2 did? They kept characters that weren't completed from the public, and they've been releasing them as free DLc over time once they were done with testing. They're mostly clones but not all of them are.

I'd rather they push back the release date rather than charge me extra for content that was meant to be on the disc.
    you say that now, but for some games that can mean another YEAR of development. sounds all cool in theory, not so nice in reality. and i got MK9 and i can say im happy i got the DLC characters, because if there where no DLC i would not have kenshi.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 am

Sloth9230 wrote:I also think that there should be more varied game prices. I would be completely willing to pay 80 for a new game, if I actually thought it was worth it. With DLC, I think I payed around 80 for Fallout New Vegas anyway. Considering how long I played it, I'd say that was money well spent(savefile issues not withstanding).

But you will never convince to me pay 60$ for a Sonic the Hedgehog game. I'd spend 30 at most If I honestly couldn't finds something more interesting looking.

Lol who bought original PS2 games silly?

In all seriousness, I spent last generation (both PS2 and PC) being a full-time pirate silly! ARGH! I redeemed myself in this generation though, bought lots of games and consoles (PS Vita, 2 PS3s, 1 Xbox 360, lots of games for all these...)
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:13 am

ChizFreak wrote:
    Sloth9230 wrote:I also think that there should be more varied game prices. I would be completely willing to pay 80 for a new game, if I actually thought it was worth it. With DLC, I think I payed around 80 for Fallout New Vegas anyway. Considering how long I played it, I'd say that was money well spent(savefile issues not withstanding).

In all seriousness, I spent last generation (both PS2 and PC) being a full-time pirate silly! ARGH! I redeemed myself in this generation though, bought lots of games and consoles (PS Vita, 2 PS3s, 1 Xbox 360, lots of games for all these...)
    may as well pirate if your going to buy per-owned
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:15 am

I can wait, I'm waiting for Dark Souls 2 aren't I? I'm not expecting it till 2014.

Street Fighter X Tekken for the PS3 had 55 character on their roster, 12 of them were DLC that was released for 20$ even though they were already on the disc. That's about 85 for a new game. I would never pay that much for a fighting game, that's outrageous, regardless of how good it was. You let developers get away with those kinds of things and I promise you that it will only get worse.

Chizfreak: Shhhhhhhsilly
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:23 am

Sloth9230 wrote:I can wait, I'm waiting for Dark Souls 2 aren't I? I'm not expecting it till 2014.

Street Fighter X Tekken for the PS3 had 55 character on their roster, 12 of them were DLC that was released for 20$ even though they were already on the disc. That's about 85 for a new game. I would never pay that much for a fighting game, that's outrageous, regardless of how good it was. You let developers get away with those kinds of things and I promise you that it will only get worse.

Chizfreak: Shhhhhhhsilly
    i get what you mean, that game over here was about 95 + any DLC (never got it as the only fighting game i enjoy is MK) but that's the point of DLC is that its a choice, its like the devs GIVING you something for a donation
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:30 am

I actually thought the MK9 DLC was pretty well done, all the charters felt unique. Though considering that Armageddon had like 50+ characters or something, you'll have hard time convincing me that any future DLC characters for the next game couldn't have made it on to the disc if they had held back the release by little. It's fine for now since MK9 and vs DC have been their first 2d games in while, and so most characters needed re-balancing, but I sincerely hope future MK titles won't have any DLC besides guest fighters or alternate costumes.

New characters like Skarlet should definitely be on the disc so we can know if they're canon or not.

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 am

i actually think its fine, MK9 DLC's where more like players choice. if it was sub, reptile or scorpion, then we know we have a problem
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

I'm no longer debating it with you. Your view is demonstrability ridiculous.

Again, by your logic I may as well steal a movie or car as give it/sell it to a friend. If you can't see why thats crazy, further debate is pointless.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:41 am

Sloth9230 wrote:I actually thought the MK9 DLC was pretty well done, all the charters felt unique. Though considering that Armageddon had like 50+ characters or something, you'll have hard time convincing me that any future DLC characters for the next game couldn't have made it on to the disc if they had held back the release by little. It's fine for now since MK9 and vs DC have been their first 2d games in while, and so most characters needed re-balancing, but I sincerely hope future MK titles won't have any DLC besides guest fighters or alternate costumes.

New characters like Skarlet should definitely be on the disc so we can know if they're canon or not.

You play MK9? Are you good? I will gladly kick your ***... since I couldn't participate in that tournament for some technical reasons I often look for good people to fight in MK
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 am

Rain and Kenshi are both characters that have already been established. They should either be there from the beginning or not at all. Under that logic, you could cut half the roster and sell it later just because they're "optional"

Characters shouldn't really be optional for fighting games with online. Costumes are fine since they're just aesthetic, but separate characters aren't. They have their own movesets, and so it's unfair towards the people who didn't buy the DLC but did buy the game for full price. People who pay full price deserve to get a complete game, not bits and pieces.

Chizfreak: I wasn't very good(lost to a 10 year old), let that same 10 year old borrow it like a month ago. I'm definitely down to take you on when I remember to get it back though.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:31 am

ChizFreak wrote:

I bought ps2 games. I bought A bloody tonne of them. I had about quadruple the library of ps2 games I have of current gen. Oh I miss them so.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 am

I can easily see preventative measures being done on PC games, since 80% (I think that was the number) of PC copies are pirated. An INSANE amount, obviously.

Day 1 DLC is a toss up and should be determined based on conditions. In order to get the games burned to the discs and distributed, they have to finish release several months before the launch date. And what are the developers going to do, sit on their hands for that time? Anything they produce (or finish, if it was partially started) in that time is fair game to be pushed as DLC immediately.

What irks me are the people who outright refuse to pay money to the producers. That is, the people who buy every game second-hand or steal it outright. Too be frank, they are a detriment to the gaming industry. Money makes the world go round; the WHOLE REASON series like CoD or Halo keep getting made is because they make fistfuls of cash. It doesn't matter how well liked a series is if nobody is paying for it. More money = more reason to continue making good games.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 am

I know some PC gamers don't like to hear it (I am one myself, though not an "exclusive" PC guy) but a lot of them really have a superiority complex.

Hideki Kamiya (Bayonetta's creator) just has to say he has "no interest" in PC gaming and the threats from PC gamers flood in. 🇳🇴

Why can't people enjoy their games without disparaging the fun of others?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 am

no Idea. As long as your fun isn't torturing things, it really shouldn't matter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm