A thought spared for gwyn

xSomax
    Addicted
    Addicted

A thought spared for gwyn

Post by xSomax on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:22 am

I think i thought of a way to fix the gwyn fights difficulty, without out-right taking out parrying. he is supposed to be the "be-all-end-all" enemy of the game, so i thought "how would we make it better?". well, the answer is actually very simple. when you parry him, have there be a chance(note i said CHANCE) for him to pivot and slash, using the momentum gained from your parry. he is the leader of the silver and black knights, he must be a master swordsman, so this move would probably seem easy to him. the times he doesn't, he would stagger and get reposted like normal. a simple addition to his parry mechanic, and the fight has been made better, without out-right changing it. you COULD still parry him to death, but there would be a risk in doing so. this makes it so that both strategies are merged, making it so that a parry could act as an all or nothing gambit, befitting the final boss in the game, or as simply a high risk means to increase your damage out-put

lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: A thought spared for gwyn

Post by lalliman on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:48 am

Fun idea, but making Gwyn stronger is purely a game mechanic, lorewise it makes sense for him to be relatively weak. The chosen undead already took down 2 partial-lordsoul holders and a full lordsoul holder. Gwyn is but a used-to-be god who doesn't have a lordsoul anymore.
    xSomax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xSomax on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 am

that is true, but it doesn't stop him from lobbing fire at us does it? all in all its a simple technique, even in real swordsmanship. a simple movement of the feet really. he may be a husk, but he's still extremely powerful, so adding a cheap mechanic like "parry to win" undermines the entire struggle of the game. and like i said, it wouldn't straight up change the fight, just make parrying slightly riskier. and besides, the chosen undead doesn't have a lord soul either, yet he beat 2 partial lord souls and the full ones as well. honestly, it would just even the playing field and make it a climactic ending like the game deserves

lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:31 am

Agreed. It's actually surprising that no creature in the universe is capable of avoiding a riposte. It would be a great addition, especially since it will give players one more big scare before the game is over: a creature that counters parries!

Last edited by lalliman on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors and waffles)

RedderAI
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by RedderAI on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 am

For my first few playthroughs (when I was a n00b) I just GC spammed his ***. LITERALLY all he would do was jump left, get hit, jump right, get hit, jump left, get hit. All he did was try I dodge only to meat another GC in his face. Now that I'm a lot more seasoned I realized it wa SUCH a cheap way of killing Gwyn.
    xSomax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xSomax on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 am

hahaha. indeed, a final boss is supposed to be the final check of your skills, the ultimate in what you need to beat. using cheap methods like that takes away from the experience, making it feel like you just saw the ending to fable 2

EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:55 am

I fought gwyn by myself the first time, no parries... it was fun. i won, but half my estus was gone.

Addicted

Post by xSomax on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:07 am

indeed, fighting without using the parries makes it funner, but anyone not on this forum you say that to goes "HA NOOB, WHY NOT JUST PARRY HIM! PLEB-TIER ETC ETC ETC" you know how it goes.

so i thought, what if parrying had a chance of harming you, rather than helping you? its mostly because i'm sick of people talking about gwyn as if the only way to go is parrying, as if thats not just robbing yourself of a fun fight.

to each their own i suppose, but honestly, this seems like something i'd expect From to do, one last ditch effort to trump your skills, by making your most powerful an extremely high risk move. i realize theres always the chance of missing the parry, but obviously no one actually cares about that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 pm