Great shields L2 attack

steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Great shields L2 attack

Post by steveswede on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:53 am

Do you think that the great shields should block and attack at the same time when pressing L2? It would need to be re-animated from what it is now to something that would make you charge your body behind the shield into someone, doing small damage with a direct hit but drain lost of stamina off opponents if blocked. I always thought this was what was missing from the great shields and would make it's usefulness more on par with parrying shields.
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Re: Great shields L2 attack

Post by Tolvo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:55 am

Personally, I always felt that Greatshields should be allowed to parry. But that they would have a very slow parry.

Make it so small shields can't parry big weapons, so the only thing that could parry it is a greatshield. Add in their slow parry with a timing window only a little bit faster than great hammer.

Just my personal view of the subject of what a Greatshields L2 should be.
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:28 am

Sort of like the black knight shield bash? It should have the same damage reduction as a partial parry, not 100% but still significant. It would certainly make for a perfect addition to the game.

Personally I can't believe we never saw a patch to fix greatsheild deflection in pvp, that alone would make greatsheilds more versatile.

Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:21 am

If you ask me, Greatshields should stay with the same bashing stuff they have now, but make it so that the bash guarantees a stagger regardless of the target's poise. I have reasons, but I've been up all night and am too tired to remember how to put them into words...so, yeah.

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:23 am

I don't think Greatshields should parry. Doesn't make sense to me.

Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:48 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I don't think Greatshields should parry. Doesn't make sense to me.

Playability > Credibility.

I agree though, making greatshield's able to parry might be too much of a buff, they ought to add deflection in pvp (it should've been there all along). Maybe replace the bash with a kind of running bash, so that you hold it in front of you, and charge. Also give it hyper armour to avoid any easy backstabs on someone doing it.

On a related note: Why are bashes parryable? Now that doesn't make sense
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jester's Tears on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Shakie666 wrote:

On a related note: Why are bashes parryable? Now that doesn't make sense

They are? Learn something everyday...

Live Life Smiling. Dying is No Excuse for stopping   :mask-averice:
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Because in real life you can parry with a shield that large. Well, the real life example would be more so the eagle shield since that is the one most like a real shield. As I said it would allow someone to parry large weapons, and maybe make things look a little less silly. Dodging massive weapons is easy enough, as well they can be punished with a backstab. Adding in a riposte, there are three main ways anyone can easily defeat a person using a slow weapon. Why not make it so that great shields have a bit more of a purpose, since the bash is completely useless as is.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Tolvo wrote:Because in real life you can parry with a shield that large.

Those things are so heavy, one would need super-human strength to pull off parries with those monstrosities. Parries are a quick-reflex flick of the muscles, easier to do that with a fencing sword than with a brick wall attached to your arm.

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:53 am

Actually you can parry with a shield like that, you just would want to do it against something you really need to hold at bay, like some sort of mace which could break a smaller parrying weapon. You would never want to parry something small though, since by the time you gain control again it would already have been back in their control. As well it would be easy for them to just move the weapon slightly or stop mid stab or swing and just wait for you to expose yourself.

Thus the idea, useful against large slow weapons, but against small fast weapons you'd have to be a complete dunce to get parried.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 am

That would probably be a very tight animation to pull off. How could From pull it off? Make a parry-type that only parries a certain class of weapons. How could the game know what weapon is being used against you?

Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:02 am

That's why I said a very slow parry animation, something where if you have a fast weapon. You will see it coming. Thus if you start a great hammer swing and a parry with a greatshield at the same time, boom parry. Meaning there is still a short reflex window and of course a time to predict when you should parry. As well a long recovery time for the parry if it misses. Meaning if you try it on faster weapons you will be heavily punished.
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by kazumoshi on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:15 am

I think the shield bash should be able to stun regardless of their poise, and take gigantic chunks from their stamina.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:49 am