Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
raecor14
steveswede
Sir-flicker
MosquitoPower
Forum Pirate
justwant2play
10 posters

Do you think pure physical weapons are better than elemental/magic/faith weapons?

justwant2play
    justwant2play
    Addicted
    Addicted

Do you think pure physical weapons are better than elemental/magic/faith weapons? Empty Do you think pure physical weapons are better than elemental/magic/faith weapons?

Post by justwant2play Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 am

Despite its lower overall attack rating do you think that pure physical weapons are better than elemental/magic/faith weapons?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Do you think pure physical weapons are better than elemental/magic/faith weapons? Empty Re: Do you think pure physical weapons are better than elemental/magic/faith weapons?

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 am

I don't think, I know. It can be demonstrated. We have numbers to prove it. The exceptions are the mlgs and mlbh.

Now the builds that use the weapons have varying abilities which may or may not compensate for the relative ineffectiveness of elemental weapons, but thats a different topic.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Do you think pure physical weapons are better than elemental/magic/faith weapons? Empty Re: Do you think pure physical weapons are better than elemental/magic/faith weapons?

Post by MosquitoPower Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:32 am

I have a lev 120 58STR character that uses normal weapons and buffs some of em. May not hit as hard, but it hits about the same of most everything PVE.

So I think of them as great all around equipment for non Magic/Faith types.
    Sir-flicker
    Sir-flicker
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sir-flicker Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 am

Weren't elementals nerfed In the last patch? And with a buff +15 easily out damages if your willing to put the stats into it
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 am

It all comes down to what resistances enemies have. Everything from physical, elemental, magic, strike, thrust, slash and others I can't remember do different levels of damage depending how weak or strong they are against them. However physical damage when scaled with stats is the most effective at damage on most enemies due to most having some high form of magic or elemental resistance. Overall there is no one weapon type that is supreme above all, which is what you want in a game like Dark Souls, excellent weapon balancing.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:36 am

well the less AR dose add up but i wouldn't say they are worse, with an elemental weapon you can chip, put stats in other areas like VIT/INT/FTH. also, you don't look like a try-hard buffer.
    Sir-flicker
    Sir-flicker
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sir-flicker Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:47 am

raecor14 wrote:well the less AR dose add up but i wouldn't say they are worse, with an elemental weapon you can chip, put stats in other areas like VIT/INT/FTH. also, you don't look like a try-hard buffer.
    Ha elementals do have there perks like you listed above. The obsidian gs does it better as it has single AR with low req. 20/16 and it is also buffable.
    And bluffing is any more try hard then chain bs or dark bead/ Wog spam. Elemental weapon are just a perma buffed just don't require stat investment
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:53 am

Sir-flicker wrote:
    raecor14 wrote:well the less AR dose add up but i wouldn't say they are worse, with an elemental weapon you can chip, put stats in other areas like VIT/INT/FTH. also, you don't look like a try-hard buffer.
    Ha elementals do have there perks like you listed above. The obsidian gs does it better as it has single AR with low req. 20/16 and it is also buffable.
    And bluffing is any more try hard then chain bs or dark bead/ Wog spam. Elemental weapon are just a perma buffed just don't require stat investment

point taken on the buffs, but what about if you HATE great swords? what if your like me and you like curved swords but also want to do a mage? are you ment to HAVE to do the 40 dex for the pure damage?
    Sir-flicker
    Sir-flicker
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sir-flicker Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:03 am

raecor14 wrote:
    Sir-flicker wrote:

point taken on the buffs, but what about if you HATE great swords? what if your like me and you like curved swords but also want to do a mage? are you ment to HAVE to do the 40 dex for the pure damage?

You would do more damage specially if you CMW it and your casting speed would be quicker,
    But it really upto player preference, if you don't want to have bother buffing or would rather spend the points elsewhere then elemental/magic/faith is the better option
    When it all boils down to it it depends in your build.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:43 am

I've got 2 characters, both with 45 Dex and one with 50 Int and the other with 50 Faith.

They have a +15 Uchigatana and Magic +10, Divine +10 and also Lightning +5 and Fire +10 Uchigatanas.

The +15 outdamages the other two in all cases, except for some PvE enemies that have a weakness to any of the elements, or magic, on those, the damage is on par with +15.

In PvP, +15 always had better results.

All that + you can buff +15 weapons, adding even more damage, which you can't do with the rest of the upgrade paths I've mentioned.
    Sir-flicker
    Sir-flicker
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sir-flicker Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:54 am

Sentiel wrote:I've got 2 characters, both with 45 Dex and one with 50 Int and the other with 50 Faith.

They have a +15 Uchigatana and Magic +10, Divine +10 and also Lightning +5 and Fire +10 Uchigatanas.

The +15 outdamages the other two in all cases, except for some PvE enemies that have a weakness to any of the elements, or magic, on those, the damage is on par with +15.

In PvP, +15 always had better results.

All that + you can buff +15 weapons, adding even more damage, which you can't do with the rest of the upgrade paths I've mentioned.

Is this just because of the split AR, because the of last patch nerfing them? I have always used +15 in pvp so I'm not sure how effective they used to be, prior to the patch
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:02 am

As I said, the question has nothing to do with builds. +15 is better. As sentinel said, +15 will almost always deal more damage unless an enemy has a specific and extreme weakness to an element

Now wether or not the increased effectiveness justifies the heavier investment is a different question and dependant on many things.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:46 am

I decided to do some testing on the impact of pure damage vs split damage. My attack stats were 58/45/55/50. I tested these weapons on the treants by the gate towards the forest, I'm on NG+3.

Greatsword of Artorias with 673 Split pyhsical/magic AR = 364 dmg
    Greatlord Greatsword with 542 pure pyhsical AR = 363 dmg
    Moonlight Greatsword with 484 pure magic AR = 336 dmg
    Obsidian Greatsword with 480 Pure physical AR = 304 dmg
    Enchanted Claymore+1 with 485 Split AR = 203 dmg...
    Claymore+10 with 409 pure physical Ar = 235 dmg

I also tested the Abyss Greatsword with different amounts of humanity so you could see the increasing returns relative to your opponent's resistances.

Abyss+0 with 472 Ar = 297dmg
    Abyss+1 with 495 Ar = 320dmg
    Abyss+2 with 507 Ar = 331dmg
    Abyss+3 with 519 Ar = 342dmg
    Abyss+4 with 526 Ar = 349dmg
    Abyss+5 with 534 Ar = 356dmg
    Abyss+6 with 541 Ar = 363dmg
    Abyss+7 with 549 Ar = 370dmg
    Abyss+8 with 556 Ar = 377dmg
    Abyss+9 with 563 Ar = 383dmg
    Abyss+10 with 571 Ar = 390dmg

As you can see: even though the Abyss Greatsword+10 humanity has a lower total AR than the Greatsword of Artorias(not cursed), the fact that it's Pure damage as apposed to Split damage means that it will generally deal more damage in total.

Pretty much: +15 > anything else, so long as you have the stats and your opponents don't have ridiculously low elemental resistances.

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 am

Pure weapons are the best if you don't want to exploit specific weaknesses, even the MGS is decent for somewhat high INT builds.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 am

For the vast majority of weapons, with proper stats, +15 will outdamage any other upgrade path. And, it can be buffed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 am