I'm sure a small percentage of us are smokers...

dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Re: I'm sure a small percentage of us are smokers...

Post by dancash1808 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Serious_Much wrote:As a typical brit i can profess to the fact that tea is a much better vice to have than smoking winking
    ^ this. drink ALL the tea! big grin oh and are we supposed to frequent the chatbox nowadays? I thought that was where we kept the crazy ones.

ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Kinda interesting how this turned into a stop smoking thread hahahahaha.

Thing finally crapped out on me last night. So it lasted 3 days. I'd say that should be about 12-18 cigarettes but to be honest I was smoking a lot more with the freedom to smoke inside the house.

Also visit the newbie page and don't be afraid to message me if you're new and need some advice. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

Duel Wielding Velka's Rapier http://tinyurl.com/73jfhgd

Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 pm

dancash1808 wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:As a typical brit i can profess to the fact that tea is a much better vice to have than smoking winking
    ^ this. drink ALL the tea! big grin oh and are we supposed to frequent the chatbox nowadays? I thought that was where we kept the crazy ones.

That's why he wants you to go there.
    And tea is great silly

On topic: A lot of my friends are already smoking, and i can see how they are being affected by it. So i don't want to start smoking myself.
    I honestly have no idea why people start smoking in the first place. It's expensive and it harms your body.

Not to mention that i'll get 200 € from one of my my mom's friends if i don't start smoking before i'm 16 silly

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:44 pm

I've never smoked, never will. I have had Alcohol, and even though I like it, I don't drink it. I've seen what smoking and drinking addictions do. My grandpa has both.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:28 pm

dancash1808 wrote:

No, E just wants me there doing my job as a chat mod.. I've been slacking off since i've been to uni silly

mainly cus all my free time is taken up by gaming and/or drinking and the only time i post on the forum is when i don't pay attention in lectures or on the bus lol!

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:19 pm

ErrJon must be psychic. I've been doing the exact same thing. I bought an e-cig last week to give it a try and I think it's great because I've cut my tobacco consumption by a third and I hope to carry on and cut it out altogether. I've done some research and as far as I can tell e-cigs are safe but to be really sure I'm only buying mine from a chemist (pharmacist).

For the record, I'm a long time smoker (50yrs+) and when I started smoking there was no indication that it was harmful. It was just something everybody tried, a kind of rite of passage like going into a pub (bar) when you reached the age of eighteen. When I started work everyone in the office smoked and you just sort of got sucked in.
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 am

SlakeMoth wrote:ErrJon must be psychic. I've been doing the exact same thing. I bought an e-cig last week to give it a try and I think it's great because I've cut my tobacco consumption by a third and I hope to carry on and cut it out altogether. I've done some research and as far as I can tell e-cigs are safe but to be really sure I'm only buying mine from a chemist (pharmacist).

For the record, I'm a long time smoker (50yrs+) and when I started smoking there was no indication that it was harmful. It was just something everybody tried, a kind of rite of passage like going into a pub (bar) when you reached the age of eighteen. When I started work everyone in the office smoked and you just sort of got sucked in.

I can imagine how easy it was to get really into smoking back then. These days smoking has been made so damn hard with all these new laws and anti-smoking propaganda that makes you feel yourself bad for being a smoker that it's almost just easier to quit big grin

Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 am

I'm considering getting a kit. At 10usd the disposables only last me 3-4 days. I can get a pack for 5-7usd that'll laast me almost two weeks. I feel like the freedom to smoke indoors without repercussion causes me to smoke more hahahhaaha.

Also visit the newbie page and don't be afraid to message me if you're new and need some advice. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 am

Mr. Tart wrote:@Plastic
    You're right, that does sound like a lot. I do wish you luck though.

Me and my classmates made a bet that if a guy didn't stop smoking until after christmas we'd each slap him 5 times whenever we want to. Reading your post just now makes me feel kinda bad, but oh well. twisted

I'm really suprised, but he did it. He actually managed to stop smoking on the winter break.

bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!

Post by bunnywink on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 pm

A friend is mine is trying to quit. I'm not sure how I can help... Any advice?

. STAR HARMONIA .
    AKA. 'Sparkly-Shiny-Rainbow Glitter' Prism Stone covenant
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Oh hey, a smoker thread(I think). How did I miss this?

bunnywink wrote:A friend is mine is trying to quit. I'm not sure how I can help... Any advice?
    First things first, I think your support is appreciated, so that's already helping happy

I'd say one of the most important things is to help him cut down on social smoking. Smoking has become quite a social thing to do, whenever friends around are smoking one has the tendency to light one up as well(I should know, I can't won't stop myself from smoking along). Tell your friend to ask others not to smoke around him/her and try to ask that yourself too to support him/her.

The second biggest reason to keep smoking is habitual. Try to get to know when your friend smokes habitually and see if you can't help in trying to replace that habit with something else. I find that for myself, sometimes having friends around who are uncomfortable with smokers while I usually smoke(like commuting by foot) helps me put it off.

If he/she needs it, there are a ton of helpful items smokers can use to quit. Don't let your friend be too proud to use these products to help, quitting cold turkey is one of the hardest things to do, even for the most hard willed individuals.

1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Another thing is, try to ease them out of it by Denset's methods, but make sure not to apply pressure. The reason a fair few people are smokers is to relieve themselves of stress. Trying to be over-confrontational may just result in a relapse.
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Another thing is, try to ease them out of it by Denset's methods, but make sure not to apply pressure. The reason a fair few people are smokers is to relieve themselves of stress. Trying to be over-confrontational may just result in a relapse.
    Totally forgot to mention this one. +1

1) It's not about you.

Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks. Just trying to help. happy
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm

I used to smoke, smoked for 12 years and chain smoked as well. I could make a roll up in 4 seconds and do it one handed while driving. My addiction was so bad that the only thing that made me quit was Zyban. Only use this as a last resort, these are not nice chemicals to take but they do the trick. 100% success rate on me and I have stopped smoking for 5 years. In my mind I will always be a smoker but I could never go back now I'm finally off them.
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:13 pm

steveswede wrote:I used to smoke, smoked for 12 years and chain smoked as well. I could make a roll up in 4 seconds and do it one handed while driving. My addiction was so bad that the only thing that made me quit was Zyban. Only use this as a last resort, these are not nice chemicals to take but they do the trick. 100% success rate on me and I have stopped smoking for 5 years. In my mind I will always be a smoker but I could never go back now I'm finally off them.
    Good on you man! I'm thinking of quitting sometime this year, but then again, every smoker ever says something along the lines of that.

1) It's not about you.

Steve Jobs:
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!

Post by bunnywink on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:35 pm

You guys are awesome. ♥

. STAR HARMONIA .
    AKA. 'Sparkly-Shiny-Rainbow Glitter' Prism Stone covenant

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:27 pm

♥ You is awesome too. ♥

Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Used to smoke a pipe when I was 18, though have since stopped.

ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 am

Not sure if anyone's keeping up on this thread anymore but I've been off the cigarettes for a month or so now. Not exactly by choice I've come down with what seems like liver problems and I've been far to sick to even think about smoking. So I guess if other methods aren't working for you just get ill enough to be unable to ;D

JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:49 am

I'm still trying to start smoking.

Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 am

Really? Why?

hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 am

I've never smoked and don't plan on smoking ever.

But I have to say that the amount of support on this forum for those who are trying to smoke is simply amazing. I'm glad that we can all support each other, and for those wishing to quit: You can do it! Hurrah

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 am

I used to smoke a lot. I'm glad I quit; seriously, food doesn't taste the same when you smoke like a chimney.

JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:41 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Really? Why?

I'm not really trying to start, but I've just never been able to. I mean, I've smoked plenty of cigarettes, but I could never break the barrier beyond being a bum. I just get nauseous if I smoke too many.

The only time I was able to chainsmoke was when my cat ran away. I'd hold out my hand and it'd be uncontrollably shaky, then I'd smoke a cig and I'd be rock steady. Then, when I found him three days later, right back to being a cig n00b.

So, I am not actively trying to start. But, as much as I am able to enjoy them from time to time, I just am never able to enjoy copious amounts no matter how I may try.

Also, you'd think I'd be better at it given I can never remember a time when my parents didn't smoke around me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:41 am