Next-Gen Graphics?...I Kinda Like The Gritty Dream-Like Kind.

Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Next-Gen Graphics?...I Kinda Like The Gritty Dream-Like Kind.

Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Onion Knight wrote:
    I'd worry more about art direction and style than visuals in my opinion

In my mind there one in the same.
    Or better said, 2 sides of the same coin.

psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83

...Go Beyond Death...
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:48 pm

As long as they don't bust a Bethesda and try and tell me that it's a whole new game engine, I'm cool.

Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:58 pm

If they made a game without super blocky textures and laggy levels, it'd be perfect in my book.

"The dragons shall never be forgotten… We knights fought valiantly, but for every one of them, we lost three score of our own. Exhilaration, pride, hatred, rage... The dragons teased out our dearest emotions…Thou will understand, one day. At thy twilight, old thoughts return, in great waves of nostalgia." - Hawkeye Gough
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm

I think the graphical style of dark souls is good, but with some extra bit of love and care the game could become all the more gruesome, so realistic it's positively terrifying.

If the graphics improve it could make the atmosphere of the game even better, which admittedly as is just looking around is a tad lifeless.. The graphics are quite nice, some views are good to see, but when you stop and look at it closer the immersion can get a little lost, the world doesn't really seem contingent or changing.

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 pm

[quote="defacto"]
    Gyonimizotetsu wrote:Also if you think that From will spend the 1000s of hours learning the cell architecture just so Dark Souls 2 can look the best on PC and then second best on PS3 you are dreaming. They'll just use the same thing for PC, 360 and PS3 and with mods the game will look the best on the PC.

It's not the case of learning the cell architecture, it depends if their new graphics engine will take advantage of it. Demon's Souls game engine is a heavily modified PS3 game engine which means that From Software might have the experience and the software tools to use the cell architecture to it's full potential. It all depends if they have incorporated them in the new graphics engine and are willing to use it.
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:19 am

I want cell-shaded.

Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:51 am

Mmmmm... Eeeeehhhhhhh... Naaaah.

"The dragons shall never be forgotten… We knights fought valiantly, but for every one of them, we lost three score of our own. Exhilaration, pride, hatred, rage... The dragons teased out our dearest emotions…Thou will understand, one day. At thy twilight, old thoughts return, in great waves of nostalgia." - Hawkeye Gough
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 am

Something that i've always felt about graphics is that RPG games like Fable always do better in the older graphics like Fable: TLC. The older graphics in the game helped the atmosphere feel much better somehow, although i'm not entirely sure how i could possibly explain it. There are games like Halo 4, that i feel the graphics only do good, and no harm whatsoever. But a change of graphics for Dark Souls 2 makes me fear that it could possibly kill some of the atmosphere. That's the way i've always felt about graphics in games, especially the games with a darker theme.

Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:02 am

I agree with Mr. Orange Letters

Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 pm

I mean. . . doesn't change how the game looks at all. . .

Just look at screens of the modded PC edition.

Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74
    CaptanSpudsy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CaptanSpudsy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 pm

I think that the atmo couldn't be hurt be graphics. I mean look at the trailer, those (pre-rendered) graphics are gorgeous and it felt much darker to me than DkS itself.

Random Quotes Collection:
    cloudyeki wrote:Seath:I can live entirely on a diet of crayons and lighter fluid!

eminusx wrote:The Sons of IRS
    'weve come to tax your souuuuuuuuuuuul!!!'

ViralEnsign wrote:I will have rolls in DKS II ! I WILL NOT BE DENIED!
    lalliman wrote:
    Ashran wrote:I wonder if anyone had a wet dream with Gwynevere...
    ^ I wonder if anyone hasn't.
    Uhhm, i mean, uhm, i mean had. I, i didn't .___.
    emraluces

Post by emraluces on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:30 am

Whether or not you are for or against the boost in graphics for Dks2, it is an inevitable feature of all future games. As the years roll on, games will continue to look better as a matter of evolution, as game engines are designed to allow more robust graphics with simpler coding requirements.

Personally, I am very much in favor of the stunningly beautiful graphical boost. For those of you discouraged by this, imagine that Demons Souls and Dark Souls alike had been published one or two years earlier. They would have inevitably have had less refined graphics than the current games we have now. Would you then say that you wished the developers wouldn't make the graphics any better in the next installment? Dark Souls' graphics are better than they could have been, but would you even have known if they weren't?

I absolutely understand the nostalgia solicited by the gritty graphical schemes of the previous games in the series. I also understand the fear of losing that aspect of the game. However, I truly think that once gameplay footage of Dark Souls 2 is released, most gamer's, even the truly loyal ones of the series, might find the enhanced graphics a welcomed surprise, as ultimately, they will only serve as a way of immersing us even more within the painfully gorgeous Souls universe.

We can recover the lost connection, the one monotheism severed between Athens and Jerusalem. We could get back a world where philosophy was valued, where the beauty of science was considered worth studying, worth revering even, where literature would be the key to the study of ethics an morality. And if you wanted the transcendent, you'd have love and sex and music.
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:22 am

They said they're not changing the stuff. They're "upgrading" what they've done before. So the graphics will be better. The same darkness and dull colors that make this game look so great? Supposed to be better as well.

Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:34 am

Gyonimizotetsu wrote:They said they're not changing the stuff. They're "upgrading" what they've done before. So the graphics will be better. The same darkness and dull colors that make this game look so great? Supposed to be better as well.

The pitch-blackness of the Tomb of Giants will be even blacker than before. They've actually found a way to make pixels absorb light; if you go in the ToG, the room your TV is in will actually get darker.

Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:35 am

Shkar wrote:
    Gyonimizotetsu wrote:They said they're not changing the stuff. They're "upgrading" what they've done before. So the graphics will be better. The same darkness and dull colors that make this game look so great? Supposed to be better as well.

The pitch-blackness of the Tomb of Giants will be even blacker than before. They've actually found a way to make pixels absorb light; if you go in the ToG, the room your TV is in will actually get darker.
    Lol.

Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:50 am

Black hole TV? :/

Malevolence or Heaven am I?
    I am the absolute devoted,
    The wraith.

PSN: Enaid_Waleis (main), Try-chu
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 am

i welcome the new graphics but i also think that dark souls color palatte is: too full ofdark colorsand not full nuf with brighter more pleasing colors.

NOW i dont want everything bright and joyful id rather a city that is now destroyed to have remnant of the un-holy word... color. If it used to have color make it have some! areas like darkroot forest on the other hand need darker deeper colors with a bright horizon or something to have a relief?

Also character models! they're technicaly a part of graphics!

they need work some characters look ghastly and bland

my favorite qoutes:

Tolvo wrote:I want one that moans loudly just so players can get really confused and creeped out.

"I
    just put a stone in that things mouth, with that face, and it sexually
    moaned. Alright I'm getting the hell out of here."
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:33 am

XachAttack wrote:They might be making the graphics better to see small lore things a bit better, like the doors in the Catacombs having english on them. You probably would be able to read it if it was smoother or something.

I dunno, just tossin out things to think about.

I believe that is wrong, I think the new director stated he wanted to hand the person the lore on a silver platter. So that it is obvious and people don't complain about not understanding the lore.

For one slick avatar visit this thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t8933-picture-request-thread
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 am

CaptanSpudsy wrote:I think that the atmo couldn't be hurt be graphics. I mean look at the trailer, those (pre-rendered) graphics are gorgeous and it felt much darker to me than DkS itself.

The pre-rendered graphics did the opposite for me, they reminded me of the templars from Dragon Age Origins, it didn't bring across a dark atmosphere for me at all... More possibly just a concept of secrecy (feather being handed over) possible importance and maybe just sort of oppression as a whole throughout the trailer. This doesn't come across as the souls series graphics. It looks like your stereotypical fantasy game, not a dark-fantasy game which the souls series is.

Maybe reminds me of FF a bit... And I mean the newer ones, not the old ones.

For one slick avatar visit this thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t8933-picture-request-thread

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:37 am