It all began with the forging of the Great Rings...

Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Re: It all began with the forging of the Great Rings...

Post by Sloth9230 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 am

720 isn't much, but it adds with original damage that inflicted the condition in the first place. My gravelord sword takes about 2-3 hits to inflict toxin. Once It's inflicted the mach is pretty much over. It either kills them or it makes sure my next hit does. If it doesn't instantly kill them, then I can wait it out. Though I suppose other buffs work in a similar way.

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:20 am; edited 2 times in total

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 am

No its not. buffs fade when you switch weapons, meaning once you're poisioned I can rebuff if I chose.

Also, you're straight wrong with your math for the club. If you hit 3 times with the rotten resin large club, 1 hit will poison, meaning 1 hit is the 720 damage per minute+ the 400 damage from the club itself. Meaning 1 hit, 1 r1 mind you not a rolling or power attack, deals 1120 damage. 3 hits would be at least 1900 damage, not counting that each hit restored the poison bar to full, thus prologing the effect.

@seroous really? All almost all my fights break into the 3 minute range unless I'm on the buffed washing pole build. Who are you fighting?

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:23 am

Forum Pirate wrote:No its not. buffs fade when you switch weapons, meaning once you're poisioned I can rebuff if I chose.

Also, you're straight wrong with your math for the club. If you hit 3 times with the rotten resin large club, 1 hit will poison, meaning 1 hit is the 720 damage per minute+ the 400 damage from the club itself. Meaning 1 hit, 1 r1 mind you not a rolling or power attack, deals 1120 damage. 3 hits would be at least 1900 damage, not counting that each hit restored the poison bar to full, thus prologing the effect.

@seroous really? All almost all my fights break into the 3 minute range unless I'm on the buffed washing pole build. Who are you fighting?

Over a Minute.

If I take that same club, use DMB on it, it will deal 400 damage, 300 for the buff, and half the poison bar, for 700 damage. Hit them again, and that's 400 damage, +300 for the buff, +180 damage, for 1560 damage for two hits. Add another 700 damage for the third hit and restore the poison, and we are up to 2260 damage for three hits, with only 200 of that over a minute.

How is 1900 damage over a minute for three hits not comparable to 2060 damage instantly for three hits with the same weapon, and then 200 more damage over a minute?

And if you poison me, swap it out, and I LET you rebuff it, there is alot more wrong with the fight than just a high amount of poison damage.

Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:28 am

Just realized, large club already comes with it's own poison :shock:

Well... see you later guys! I'll be busy going over all the items in my bottomless box.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43 am

I rebuff a lot, scare them back with something powerful or bs them and it usually works.

I was just correcting your math.

As for the actual numbers, bleed and poison trigger through invincibility frames and 40 stat points are way more valuable than 1 ring slot.

With you're hypothetical ring, I have an extra 600 hp and get essentialy the same damage with some patience.

Finally, as I said, its not 2 or 3 hits but 1, O-N-E, one hit (even through invincibility frames) to trigger poison with a pine resin large club. That a miss could deal 720 damage is just absurd.

Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 am

forum on average my fights last less than a minute, i guess thats the way i play though.. I don't really like *** about, the actions more important than more boring-cautious winning to me.

Though i'd say try timing it, because things can often seem way longer than they actually are.

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 am

I know that. I extrapolate. It takes me 2-5 minutes to get a fight and I get no more than 10 fights an hour most of the time. (excluding the forest) Thus my duels average between 1 and 4 minutes. I may have been exaggerating but my average fight is more than long enough for an early poison with his ring to cripple me.

Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 am

Forum Pirate wrote:I rebuff a lot, scare them back with something powerful or bs them and it usually works.

I was just correcting your math.

As for the actual numbers, bleed and poison trigger through invincibility frames and 40 stat points are way more valuable than 1 ring slot.

With you're hypothetical ring, I have an extra 600 hp and get essentialy the same damage with some patience.

Finally, as I said, its not 2 or 3 hits but 1, O-N-E, one hit (even through invincibility frames) to trigger poison with a pine resin large club. That a miss could deal 720 damage is just absurd.

Fair enough, not trying to attack you, just trying to get my point across as well, I apologize if I came off a little more aggressive than I was attempting to

And you are right; with those thirty stat points, I could be able to have a ton of utility, and be able to change spells and have access to more weapons and heals and such.

And lastly, invincibility frames do kinda need more counters, because right now they are kinda absurd if timed right.

Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 am

i-frames need counters? thats sorta like asking for a counter to parrying really.. its countering a counter. i don't understand how you'd logically counter a dodge based on the controls we hav either thoughe?

i always thought the point of dodging was to avoid damage by a well timed roll, i dont see a problem with it, you have to consider the size of people you fight in normal game. If the dodge was just a literal movement then fighting the giant creatures with retardedly large sweeping attacks wouldn't be possible..

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 am

Serious_Much wrote:....not to butt in much to your discussion guys but damage over a minutes probably not that relevant considering most duels will never get to 30 seconds, let alone a minute.

I don't think it would be imbalanced in normal invasions either since with healing 720 health isnt much to be bothered about.
    Making a duel last 10 minutes is pretty simple. People just don't bother to do it since there's no reason to. But give a guy a reason to turtle forever, and fights can last for a while. Consider: My average duel time vs. people who don't buff is ~30 to 60 seconds. My average duel time against people who buff is ~90 to 120 seconds. If they're using the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring, it's ~120 to 150 seconds.

And i-frames don't need "counters," but rolls should be more punishable.

What about a ring that makes weapon buffs cast faster, but if you remove the ring you lose your buff? To make re-buffing in a fight more viable. Always bothered me that in DkS you can't re-buff consistently.

Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 am

only problem with asking for a way to punish a roll is how would you go about it? the whole idea of a roll is self preservation, the only time a dodge could be used to advantage is if done randomly and not in response to an attack within range of your weapon.

rolling could be punishable, but only if roll speed across the board was reduced, which obviously is not viable as pvp isnt exactly the most important part of the game

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:14 am

I punish rolls. The trick is to force or predict the roll so you can get your timing right. The katana "roll in, poke, roll out" thing for example, I can see the first roll start, let them hit me as I start a wog, the wog tags them as they exit the roll and I either r2 the stunned sucker or prepare a wakeup attack.

I suppose this could be called punishing predictability.

If you're wanting more ways to do that kind of thing, I agree, otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.

Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:16 am

Serious_Much wrote:only problem with asking for a way to punish a roll is how would you go about it?
    They expect you to attack.
    They roll in anticipation.
    You didn't attack them.
    You now attack them during their roll's recovery.

Alternatively if somebody is mid-rolling, you just get a spear or washing pole and mash R1.

Because of how lag compensation works in Dark Souls, punishing rolls is harder than it needs to be. Demon's Souls rolls were much better, but also more reasonable to punish because lag compensation worked differently.

Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:54 am

yeah.. i thought you were asking for some kinda extra mechanic. Lag isn't really something you can blame too much on the devs and game as much as your connection and your opponents over in wherever

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 am

How the game compensates is on the devs though, and it makes or breaks a competitive online environment if done exceptionally well/poorly.

Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:20 am

The difference between DeS and DkS roll punishing is a pretty minor point, too. Basically if you attacked somebody in PvP, the attacker's client didn't observe i-frames, while in Dark Souls it does. I.E., if I attack some guy, and he is mid-roll on my screen as my weapon passes through him, then in Dark Souls I will miss. I won't even do status build-up like you do if you attack a guy and he rolls immediately after. I'll just flat-out miss, as though my weapon hadn't passed through him.

In Demon's Souls, my client would count that as a hit. Basically this just makes it so there's a proper window to punish roll recovery. If some guy is fast rolling with 12 frames of recovery, and there's 7 frames of lag, then in Dark Souls I have only a 5 frame window to punish the roll. In Demon's Souls, take that same roll (I don't know actual DeS roll data, just make pretend it's 12 frames) and even with 30 frames of delay, I still have a 12 frame window. I just have to time it 30 frames early.

This also meant, though, that you could hit somebody out of a roll with a really short-range attack, because if you hit him at the very beginning of his roll on your screen, it'd catch him at the end of his own roll. So you could do stuff like dead angle somebody who rolled directly away from you. Which would be impossible in Dark Souls without ridiculous amounts of lag.

But no, for DkS II, ideally, the lag is less of a problem, and the system is just set up better to allow roll punishing more easily. Make rolls travel less distance, give them significantly less i-frames and slightly less recovery, increasing the over-all speed a lot.. Like instead of being 12/12, make them 6/10 or something.

Also I wouldn't mind if rolling attacks were like they were in Demon's Souls. Much faster (they cancel part of roll recovery), and you can delay them after landing your roll, provided you don't move at all.

But this is all sort of a tangent.

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Serious_Much wrote:i-frames need counters? thats sorta like asking for a counter to parrying really.. its countering a counter. i don't understand how you'd logically counter a dodge based on the controls we hav either thoughe?

i always thought the point of dodging was to avoid damage by a well timed roll, i dont see a problem with it, you have to consider the size of people you fight in normal game. If the dodge was just a literal movement then fighting the giant creatures with retardedly large sweeping attacks wouldn't be possible..

Whips are unparriable last I looked, so yes, we do have a counter to parries silly

tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Roll Counters? It is called actually knowing how to bait and pivot or knowing how to roll yourself dont complain about rolling as if you heavies dont have something OP (Stunlocking and high-*** poise whoring)

Ring Idea:

Ring that allows you to change your 2h attack set to a fancier version to fake out parrys and etc.

my favorite qoutes:

Tolvo wrote:I want one that moans loudly just so players can get really confused and creeped out.

"I
    just put a stone in that things mouth, with that face, and it sexually
    moaned. Alright I'm getting the hell out of here."
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:17 pm

tinypantha wrote:Roll Counters? It is called actually knowing how to bait and pivot or knowing how to roll yourself dont complain about rolling as if you heavies dont have something OP (Stunlocking and high-*** poise whoring)

Ring Idea:

Ring that allows you to change your 2h attack set to a fancier version to fake out parrys and etc.

Us heavies have OP stunlocking and Poise?

EVERYONE has OP Stunlocking (Any weapon that isn't a Katana/dagger/curved sword) and Poise (Havel's Ring, RoFaP, Wolf Ring).

Want to know how to counter High Poise? Learn how to hit and run. Want to know how to counter OP stunlocking? Learn how to bait attacks to drain their Stamina so they can't stunlock you.

You Lights always ***** about stuff that takes away your mobility. Remember TWoP? Or how everyone complained when the DWGR was nerfed? Thought so....

tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 pm

Slarg232 wrote:
    tinypantha wrote:Roll Counters? It is called actually knowing how to bait and pivot or knowing how to roll yourself dont complain about rolling as if you heavies dont have something OP (Stunlocking and high-*** poise whoring)

Ring Idea:

Us heavies have OP stunlocking and Poise?

EVERYONE has OP Stunlocking (Any weapon that isn't a Katana/dagger/curved sword) and Poise (Havel's Ring, RoFaP, Wolf Ring).

Want to know how to counter High Poise? Learn how to hit and run. Want to know how to counter OP stunlocking? Learn how to bait attacks to drain their Stamina so they can't stunlock you.

You Lights always ***** about stuff that takes away your mobility. Remember TWoP? Or how everyone complained when the DWGR was nerfed? Thought so....
    May I ask what you think of the topic of:
    The Greatswords attack speed being nerfed?
    Also people who claim to play dex and use havels ring, wolf ring, or sometimes RoFaP are imo not tru dex builds because they rely on cheap tactics (only for dex usage) that allow them to exchange attacks which is absurd.
    People who dont roll 25% dont deserve to fast roll and please dont genearlize me into your "dex *****" because you will learn very fast I and a few other people are the ideal picture of a dex character who doesnt poise ****, DWGR pre nerf spam, and general parry heavies due to their usual predictability.
    EDIT: You seem to forget about Rapiers.

my favorite qoutes:

Tolvo wrote:I want one that moans loudly just so players can get really confused and creeped out.

"I
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:22 pm

So you can generalize me as a Heavy but I can't generalize you as my version of a Light? Hypocrit much?

I have no opinion on greatswords being nerfed. My Claymore could be the worst weapon in the game and I'll still use it, so I'll take my lumps and eat any nerf they give it.

tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Slarg232 wrote:So you can generalize me as a Heavy but I can't generalize you as my version of a Light? Hypocrit much?

I have no opinion on greatswords being nerfed. My Claymore could be the worst weapon in the game and I'll still use it, so I'll take my lumps and eat any nerf they give it.
    mhmm I am very much a hypocrite ^^ and I would like to point out that I no longer care about this conversation at any level. Rant and rave about dex characters being cheap all you want but you see, I play both and am rather skilled at both if I may be so bold as to say. <-- Damn stupid comment on my part o.o

my favorite qoutes:

"I
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:02 pm

The *** is this conversation? Complaining about being underpowered in PvP while fat-rolling is like complaining about being underpowered on your RES-Gouge build.

Conversely, complaining about fat-rollers being OP is like complaining about RES-Gouge builds being OP.

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:31 pm

tinypantha wrote:
    Slarg232 wrote:So you can generalize me as a Heavy but I can't generalize you as my version of a Light? Hypocrit much?

mhmm I am very much a hypocrite ^^ and I would like to point out that I no longer care about this conversation at any level. Rant and rave about dex characters being cheap all you want but you see, I play both and am rather skilled at both if I may be so bold as to say. <-- Damn stupid comment on my part o.o

They aren't cheap. I am not complaining about Dex characters are all. I'm just saying that sheilds are counterable by Dead Angling, rolling is counterable by Poison/Bleed, but Poison does jack all right now. The Viper Ring would at least turn it into thec counter it is supposed to be.

But I thank you for allowing me to explain what my thought processes are. That helps a point come across so much.

Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 am

I know it's not Souls like even in the slightest of ways, but i would so love to see a ring(or several rings) that turns you into a demon with new and different stats to still balance things out. twisted

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 pm