Arcade sticks for fighters.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Arcade sticks for fighters.

Post by Forum Pirate on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:35 pm

Whats the appeal?

With a controler every button I need is literally under 1 thumb, and I don't have to move my other hand as far for directional inputs, meaning I can do them faster. A really good dpad is mandatory or accuracy becomes an issue, but otherwise I just don't see the advantage. (especially as odd button combos like square + circle are almost always mapped to r1 or r2)

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Re: Arcade sticks for fighters.

Post by RANT on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:48 pm

my main issue with the dpads is they really suck compared to the arcade joysticks which allow you to pull off combos easier and more comfortably.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:58 pm

I never understood it myself. I play tekken a lot so like you said, I tend to assign the weirder commands to the trigger vbuttons. I also find it easier to do some of commands that require you to move the analog stick around with the d-pad. Then again I've only ever tried using an arcade stick at a friends house, or an MK3 machine, so I don't have much practice with them.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:03 pm

Like I said, I need a really good dpad. (like I have an aftermarket controller specifically for fighters) but, the arcade stick is just to slow for me, and the constant hand position changing for button presses screws with me.

I must ammend my statement though, I get it for games like street fighter where light medium and heavy attacks are all different buttons rather than different moves, but when I see people pull out arcade sticks for smash bros, soul caliber, and tekken thats where I get confused.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:13 pm

For instance, in Tekken some moves require a combination like this: F, F+D, D, F+(attack button). I couldn't do those moves without a d-pad, even if my life depended on it. I don't even know what the motion for that on ananalog/arcade stick is supposed to look like.

Dark Souls with arcade sticks is the future yo!

Sevans
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sevans on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:24 pm

I think that arcade sticks are, ultimately, more precise and certainly more customizable.

I don't think you really begin to notice until you start getting into technical movements, at least in 2D games. Way back when, I forced myself to learn MvC2 on a pad and it just lacked the preciseness required for higher level techniques.

But really, it comes down to taste. I know a few guys that would rather play on pad. Usually their playstyle is more simple, I've noticed.

RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm

i will not play fighter with a damn dpad, for me theyre just so awkward and not precise at all but i think its more personal preference but like forum said there are games that dont require a stick to master, whoe the hell uses a stick to play smash bros? they shoudl shoot those people that thing is not even a fighting game imo. anyway, i grew up with arcades so i prefer sticks to dpads and there's some really awesome arcades where i live, theres even an arcade bar which is awesome if you just wanna have a couple of drinks by yourself and not feel weird about it.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 pm