Soapstone Inscriptions/Phantom Covenant Colors

YourBigSpoon

Soapstone Inscriptions/Phantom Covenant Colors

Post by YourBigSpoon on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:39 pm

One minor part of Dark Souls I thought wasn't completely thought out was the soapstone inscription colors and phantom colors. I understand that it is a white soapstone and the color it should make on the ground should be white(I get that), but the color changes when one joins the Warriors of Sunlight. There are many colors of soapstones in the game but I believe they could all be integrated into a single type of summoning soapstone and messaging soapstone. These soapstones would also change color depending on which covenant one belongs to.

The summoning soapstone should operate like normal. The only difference would be the color and the shape of the inscriptions. I'll use the current covenants as an example. The Way of White would make the inscription look like it normally does and the phantom would be the same color(White). The Princess' Guard inscription and phantom would be violet. The Blade of the Dark Moon inscription and phantom would be blue. The Warriors of Sunlight would be gold. The Forest Hunter inscription and phantom would be green. The Chaos Covenant would be Orange. The Gravelord Covenant would be Black. The Path of the Dragon would be silver. The Dark Wraiths would be red.

The message system would follow the same format as the summoning stone. I would be more inclined to believe a Gold message than a Red or Black message.

Finally, the shape of the inscription should be different depending on the covenant. The blade of the dark moon inscription could be in the shape of a crescent moon. The Princess's Guard could be in a circle shape.

This is a minor thing I believe was overlooked in Dark Souls and I would like to see it implemented in Dark Souls 2

I know I probably didn't hit every point that I wanted to make but I believe I'm not the only one who thought of this. Covenant benefits?

Thoughts?

Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Re: Soapstone Inscriptions/Phantom Covenant Colors

Post by Slarg232 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:09 am

The only problem with that, is is that a Red Sign Soapstone mark, or a Dark Wraith trying to Co-op with me?

dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dragonbeast6 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:24 am

You would neeever know lol

Different colors would be cool

YourBigSpoon

Post by YourBigSpoon on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 am

Slarg232 wrote:The only problem with that, is is that a Red Sign Soapstone mark, or a Dark Wraith trying to Co-op with me?

I agree with you about not wanting help from a Dark Wraith but I know I would have settled for anyone's help for a boss fight like S and O, and possibly the Capra demon.

The Red soapstone could be integrated into a covenant war system where a Blade of the Dark Moon could invade evil covenants and the Dark Wraith could invade any covenant. The perks for the Dark Wraith's are greater but they bring more animosity toward their covenant. For example: A Dark Wraith drops their soapstone to help out other Dark Wraiths or anyone who wants their help, but they can be invaded through their sign by a Blade of the Dark Moon.

I would have to fight the urge to have a Dark Wraith help me and that is a definite problem, but it would also create a Dark Wraith brotherhood type of feeling that the Warriors of Sunlight have.
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:28 am

YourBigSpoon wrote:
    Slarg232 wrote:The only problem with that, is is that a Red Sign Soapstone mark, or a Dark Wraith trying to Co-op with me?

I agree with you about not wanting help from a Dark Wraith but I know I would have settled for anyone's help for a boss fight like S and O, and possibly the Capra demon.

The Red soapstone could be integrated into a covenant war system where a Blade of the Dark Moon could invade evil covenants and the Dark Wraith could invade any covenant. The perks for the Dark Wraith's are greater but they bring more animosity toward their covenant. For example: A Dark Wraith drops their soapstone to help out other Dark Wraiths or anyone who wants their help, but they can be invaded through their sign by a Blade of the Dark Moon.

I would have to fight the urge to have a Dark Wraith help me and that is a definite problem, but it would also create a Dark Wraith brotherhood type of feeling that the Warriors of Sunlight have.

:o

Never thought of it like that, props to you.

Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:36 am

That's not silver man, that's turquoise.

Sorry, sorry, yes this is a good idea. I don't want the game turning out to be too colorful though.

YourBigSpoon

Post by YourBigSpoon on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Djem wrote:That's not silver man, that's turquoise.

Sorry, sorry, yes this is a good idea. I don't want the game turning out to be too colorful though.

I would normally blame it on my colorblindness but not in this case. silly

One thing a friend mentioned to me was what would be the color of invaders? It would get confusing.

I can completely agree with what you said about the game turning into a crayon box. I remember the terror of rainbows when they released some of the first gameplay videos of Diablo 3. Too many colors would probably take away from the experience.
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:44 am

Well, as long as they made it like a normal WSS summoned character, where it wasn't so bright or total, but instead as a hue around your character, it would still look decent, honestly.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:46 am

It would encouage people being total pricks to members of covs they don't like.........

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 am

Go, go, Power Rangers!

Forums kind of right though. As it is, I tend to kill any blues on sight unless I'm in the forest(in which case I can't kill them at all lol). That's mostly just because of personal experiences though.

Edit: I do like the idea though.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:59 am

I do some co-op with my dm, mostly griefer patrol. I promise you I'd be summoned into more spawn ganks than co-op opportunities and thats if I was lucky enough to get summoned at all.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:20 am

I like to troll Gankers by putting my sign down in the forest, and then not helping them. I don't think they'd summon me if they knew that was my intention.

And I'm pretty sure that thing with the summoning/invasion glitch, would only make things more complicated.

also, what about the RSS?

YourBigSpoon

Post by YourBigSpoon on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:59 am

Those are all valid points.

I would like to see the invasion system become more direct. The red soap stone is a direct invitation to a duel and there isn't much wrong with how it operates. A covenant war system could be put in place to replace the red soap stone. For example: Lets say you are a part of Way of the White and you put your SS down to offer help, but a Dark Wraith is near by and notices the sign on the ground and he now has the ability to invade your world through your sign. One thing I just noticed is that the invader will be a sitting duck while invading, but that wont be his or her only way to invade, that would just be an option. There will still be the eye orbs.

One main reason why I would enjoy a direct approach to the invasion system is because I do enjoy rematches and it would provide a decent way gain revenge. I hope I'm not the only one who wished I could invade a Dark Wraith without being a part of the Dark Wraiths or Blade of the Dark Moon. It seems trivial that The Blades invade people who sin and not all sins are through murdering other players. It would also take away the usefulness of the indictments. I don't indict anyone I lose to. Whats the point?

I know my opinion seems very straight forward and critical of the current system but its with the utmost respect for those who are reading.
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:01 am

Hey Slarg: You could tell the difference from the Red Soapstone because it would be a different shape than the RSS. They could make the Darkwraiths summoning sign wavy, maybe like a snake? Like Kaathe? (Primordial Serpent, whatever)

"The dragons shall never be forgotten… We knights fought valiantly, but for every one of them, we lost three score of our own. Exhilaration, pride, hatred, rage... The dragons teased out our dearest emotions…Thou will understand, one day. At thy twilight, old thoughts return, in great waves of nostalgia." - Hawkeye Gough

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:21 pm