Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
GrinTwist
raecor14
Oh_the_Humanity
7 posters

The use of "time" in Dark Souls 2

Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The use of "time" in Dark Souls 2 Empty The use of "time" in Dark Souls 2

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:50 am

I quote,

"Time is one of the central keywords we're keeping in mind as we create this. I can't give concrete details about this yet, so hopefully you'll be able to use your imagination for now."

That sounds interesting. I wonder in there will be time travel throughout the game, kinda like the DLC for DkS. I did like the idea of visiting the forest in the daytime. Great idea to conserve time when making the DLC. I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I saw they just re-did the forest. Didn't even change it up that much, especially in the Royal Forest.

Anyways what are your thoughts on the way "time" might be incorporated into DkSII.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The use of "time" in Dark Souls 2 Empty Re: The use of "time" in Dark Souls 2

Post by raecor14 Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 am

wouldn't it be cool if like at day you have the mushrooms but at night you got some sort of cat!!?? or if at day your boss had lightning attacks but at night they used magic? or if of a day you could open up a shortcut but it would only open of a day and of a night you had to find another one.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:19 am

raecor14 wrote:wouldn't it be cool if like at day you have the mushrooms but at night you got some sort of cat!!?? or if at day your boss had lightning attacks but at night they used magic? or if of a day you could open up a shortcut but it would only open of a day and of a night you had to find another one.

So essentially certain enemies and places being effected by the day and night cycle? That would make the game very interesting and a bit more difficult seeing as you would have to be at a certain area at a certain time to get somewhere. I would approve of it completely.

Maybe also make it so the attacks the player uses at night are weaker or maybe make the enemies stronger at night. I know I would do everything at night if that happened.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:24 am

GrinTwist wrote:
    raecor14 wrote:wouldn't it be cool if like at day you have the mushrooms but at night you got some sort of cat!!?? or if at day your boss had lightning attacks but at night they used magic? or if of a day you could open up a shortcut but it would only open of a day and of a night you had to find another one.

So essentially certain enemies and places being effected by the day and night cycle? That would make the game very interesting and a bit more difficult seeing as you would have to be at a certain area at a certain time to get somewhere. I would approve of it completely.

Maybe also make it so the attacks the player uses at night are weaker or maybe make the enemies stronger at night. I know I would do everything at night if that happened.
    i was thinking more you fight say siff, and he has a lightning sword. you die because its your first time and you decided to give it another go. going through the forest you realize it is darker when suddenly A GIANT MOTHER PANTHER COMES AT YOU instead of the harmless mushrooms, you now liming towards siff put on your most lightning resistant gear to find he is now using a FIRE SWORD!!!!
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 am

Well time is warped in lordran, which is why you often find the dead bodies of NPCs before you talk to them. I thought it would be interesting for them to further explore this concept in Dark Souls II, but seeing as they have explicitly stated it won't be lordran, this certainly won't be the case.

Although they would have to keep this idea of time distortion for the summoning system to canonically make sense.

Perhaps time distortion spread, in which case, examing this idea of time distortion more thoroughly would be very interesting.

On the other hand, if there isn't time distortion elsewhere, they will probably have more of a focus on the everlasting nature of things, versus the aging of other things.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:33 am

And day night cycles are so cool.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 pm

My first thought was
    Dark Souls= The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Dark Souls 2= the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    I certainly hope Dark Souls 2 is that awesome.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:33 pm

I thought the forest was pretty different in the DLC. Even if it wasn't, a very little part of the DLC areas is accesible in modern Dark Souls time anyway.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:43 pm

This is what I'm hoping will happen. It probably will not, but it gives me chills just thinking about it:

You start your journey in Lordran on the opposite side of the planet and at the same exact time period as DkS I. Things look strangely familiar, but obviously different, probably because this side of the world's climate differences. You make your journey through the world, and this side of the world is more densely populated and more civilized, possibly because of its fertileness or other factors. You finally reach the end of your journey after seeing many new faces, and even a few familiar ones. Your destination is the Kiln of the First Flame, and you enter the main chamber through another entrance.

You rest at the bonfire and wait for ages. You begin to grow insane, but you realize your journey has finally come to an end when your challenger enters your chamber. You slowly rise from the bonfire, grabbing your weapon, and slowly walk over to Oscar of Astora to meet your fate.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:53 pm

GrinTwist wrote:

Love the idea of day and night cycles.

Another thing I would love to see would be weather changes that effect the player and NPC's, and even the surroundings, like when it rains the ground gets slippery and harder to fight on, for example, when you take a big R2 swing it makes you slip a certain percentage of the time. Or in the winter time (if they incorporate seasons along with weather) lakes could freeze over and you can access a part of the game that you can only access during the winter time, which might only be a 2 to 4 hour window every 10 to 20 hours or so of game play, or something along those lines. Weather and the changing of seasons could be a very big aspect of the game if they wanted it to be.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm