Soul amount should effect your stats

Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:45 pm

I think a great addition to DkSII would be stat benefits from the amount of souls you have. For example and the part I really like is if you have no souls your health slowly decreases over time, real slow like 2 to 5 points a tick. Pretty much the more souls you have the more benefits you get. Im not talkin serious buffs but small little things. Theres so many things that could be done with this idea. So all Im gonna do is give you the idea, if you like it tell me what you would do with it.
    If you hate it, tell me why this isnt a good idea, because if implemented correctly, could be a really cool addition to DkSII.

psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83

...Go Beyond Death...
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: Soul amount should effect your stats

Post by Acarnatia on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:32 pm

That will not work well. It will create a large unbalance between varying soul levels, make the game exceedingly difficult at low levels, and as souls are also experience and currency, players will constantly be running out of resources. Furthermore, it will give players with a large amount of souls an unnecessary and likely unfair advantage.

Malevolence or Heaven am I?
    I am the absolute devoted,
    The wraith.

PSN: Enaid_Waleis (main), Try-chu
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:36 pm

So, if you are on a low vit build and you die, there's a good chance you could fail to get your bloodstain even if there are no enemies on the way?

Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Well technically soul abundance already increases your stats as it acts as experience points for levelling up. This extra proposition is pointless, even despite the fact from has finally acknowledged the meta of build levels

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:01 am

Humanity stacking already does something similar to this. Seeing that there's a high chance it will return there's no need to apply this mechanic to the souls meter. It needs refining but what I mean is replace the resistance stat with the agility stat I mentioned a while ago and let resistance be solely boosted by humanity stacking.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:20 am

Acarnatia wrote:That will not work well. It will create a large unbalance between varying soul levels, make the game exceedingly difficult at low levels, and as souls are also experience and currency, players will constantly be running out of resources. Furthermore, it will give players with a large amount of souls an unnecessary and likely unfair advantage.

No, no, Im not talking about your soul level. Im talking about your soul bank. How many souls you have. If it was subtle and done right it might work, but it would have to be somewhat insignificant to not interfere. The more I think about it the less I like the idea. But I still think it could be applied if done right.

psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83

...Go Beyond Death...
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:08 pm

I know. SL affects how easy it is to gain souls, though, and a difference in the speed in which a player can kill enemies and collect souls would become critically important. Furthermore, having that mechanic would mean that the player is constantly dying, whereas you're actually undead and nearly unable to permanently die.

Malevolence or Heaven am I?
    I am the absolute devoted,
    The wraith.

PSN: Enaid_Waleis (main), Try-chu
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:20 pm

One of the best things about souls is how they have no practical affect on your character. This means that should you have a million or a thousand you are just as strong.

What this adds to the game is the necessity to spend your souls, and the fact that if you have hoarded souls on a big journey or to buy something expensive, you could die in a second, losing them all.

Adding a practical benefit for having more, makes it a risk reward system, where practically you want more souls. Whereas now it is simply just a stress/tension system that keeps you on your toes, and continually forces you to consider how many souls you have.

Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74

Fossil
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Fossil on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Don't like this idea at all. I wouldn't mind having a magic or endgame weapon that eats souls, but that can already be done via humanity.

deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:16 pm

There is something similar to this in game already, the egg head consumes souls. I think it grows larger the more souls it consumes, acidic would be the guy to ask about that.

PSN Shubgoaroth

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Buggy Virus wrote:One of the best things about souls is how they have no practical affect on your character. This means that should you have a million or a thousand you are just as strong.

What this adds to the game is the necessity to spend your souls, and the fact that if you have hoarded souls on a big journey or to buy something expensive, you could die in a second, losing them all.

Adding a practical benefit for having more, makes it a risk reward system, where practically you want more souls. Whereas now it is simply just a stress/tension system that keeps you on your toes, and continually forces you to consider how many souls you have.
    I completely agree. You nailed it in the head when you said, "What this adds to the game is the necessity to spend your souls" If you gained perks for having more souls you wouldnt want to spend them to level up.
    I didnt quite think it through before making the post.

psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83

...Go Beyond Death...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 pm