Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Looks like there was a Microsoft Surface under the tree...

aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Looks like there was a Microsoft Surface under the tree... Empty Looks like there was a Microsoft Surface under the tree...

Post by aceluby Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:31 pm

After playing w/ it for the last few days I am starting to think this thing is going to replace laptops for a good portion of the business world. Only hardcore development would require anything more, and even then, you can remote into a desktop w/ all the apps you could possibly need. Here are some of the reasons I think this will take off in the next year or two with businesses leading the way.

1) Access to network drives right out of the box. If you have a home or work network it is trivial to get access to the drives you have already set up for your PC.
    2) Printing... works the exact same as on a laptop, add the printer and you're good to go.
    3) Office... nuf said
    4) FULL internet capability... who needs apps for web pages when you can just go to the web page?
    5) The 'type' keyboard is like a laptop keyboard, zero issues so far and comfortable.
    6) Multi tasking, you can even set it up so one program is running on 1/3rd of your screen w/ another taking up the other 2/3rds
    7) USB port

With the portability of a tablet and features geared to basically plug and play into a business already set up for Microsoft, there are very few reasons NOT to migrate to the Surface as the next upgrade path for most businesses (at least the ones I've worked at). At the place I work at now everyone brings their laptop wherever they go. I see people walking w/ their laptop open now, typing emails, sending IM's, etc... and it seems to me that this tablet would be SO much easier to use for this purpose.

Just some thoughts on it since most reviews I've seen have only talked about how it's not as good as an iPad or an ultrabook, which is true depending on the scenario. But with that being said, I think this is the first tablet that can seriously enter into the business market and if even mildly successful I predict that over the next 2-3 years we'll start to see companies move to tablets running Win8 (maybe not the surface, but definitely a possibility) instead of laptops.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Looks like there was a Microsoft Surface under the tree... Empty Re: Looks like there was a Microsoft Surface under the tree...

Post by dancash1808 Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Ugh, I cant stand the things, can anyone type at a decent speed on them? I find them imprecise and irritating. they drive me up the wall. give me a lightweight laptop anyday
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Looks like there was a Microsoft Surface under the tree... Empty Re: Looks like there was a Microsoft Surface under the tree...

Post by aceluby Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:17 pm

dancash1808 wrote:Ugh, I cant stand the things, can anyone type at a decent speed on them? I find them imprecise and irritating. they drive me up the wall. give me a lightweight laptop anyday

The keyboard I got w/ it is basically a laptop keyboard (they call it a 'type' keyboard). Keeps up w/ my 70 words per minute w/ ease.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Oooh are you talking about that clip on clip off thing? 2 of my aunts have them. the hardware is lovely but the sofware drives me up the wall silly has potential happy
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:35 pm

dancash1808 wrote:Oooh are you talking about that clip on clip off thing? 2 of my aunts have them. the hardware is lovely but the sofware drives me up the wall silly has potential happy

Not sure... maybe? The software fits our needs, there's a nice note taking program, Word & Excel, some games that my gf likes (not my cup of tea), and all the media consumption apps she needs and more. Takes a bit of getting used to after using androids for tablets and Windows/Mac for our PC's, but after spending about a half hour w/ it the interface is very intuitive.

You're right that it has potential, especially once businesses start replacing laptops for managers, analysts, and project managers. In fact, it could even replace developer machines where they just remote into a virtual machine w/ the specs they need. The cost effectiveness of something like this would take off very quickly IMO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am