Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
lalliman
CephGabriel
6 posters

A little help for a noob?

CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

A little help for a noob? Empty A little help for a noob?

Post by CephGabriel Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey guys,

As mentioned I'm a pretty terrible noob to this game, but I enjoy a challenge, and am adoring this game.

Alrighty, so I did a booboo, I killed the merchant in Undead Burg for his katana, I had the intelligence to buy 3x repair powder (All I could afford at the time) before hand, and I love the weapon so so much happy.

So, one question, can you sell Items, because I have so many pointless weapons that I want to get rid off.

Also, is there anyway (I'm level 17 ish) of killing the mechanical boar? I've found a bit of a glitchy way to get past him (drop down off a balcony and leg it) but I want to know whether I'm actually ment to get past him at that point. +Have I missed any decent Items since firelink shrine, as I feel I have..

And could someone supply me with the stats as to when my roll speed changes, as I really want the fastest (going with the Katana-ninja theme, I took Wanderer) for my class. and double checking I should increase endurance if I want to increase the roll speed?

Thanks a lot guys, when my internet is back, I hope to join in with you guys, hopefully ending in the PVP arena! Praise the Sun
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

A little help for a noob? Empty Re: A little help for a noob?

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:23 pm

Yes there will be a way to sell your items. It's not there yet but you'll recognize it when it appears silly

There's many ways to kill the boar, but you can always just go around him if it won't work. I always like to agro him, then go into the doorway of the tower with the black knight on it (in case you haven't noticed him yet, don't fight him he's a b*tch silly) and you can attack him from there safely if you play it right.
    Also if you're right behind him and attack, you can backstab him! Or well... butt stab. But it's pretty effective.

I don't know what you've picked up and what not, but there aren't a lot of gamechanging items in the burg anyways. You're gonna wanna get Havel's ring eventually, it's hard to get at this level and you prolly don't know what it is yet but you'll find out.

Yes, it's endurance that increases your rolling speed.
    How much of your equip capacity is occupied, the slower you are, and endurance raises equip capacity (allong with stamina and bleed resistance). For the fastest roll you need to be below 25%, but below 50% will do fine for lots of builds too.
    For the record, it's about equip capacity, items in your inventory don't count.

If you're gonna use a katana make sure to increase DEX, not STR ^_^
    CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CephGabriel Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks! I may grind some souls to level that up, as the Medium roll really annoys me (going for high speed low health build, as katana's don't use shields)

I've read somewhere that there's an area adgacent to fire link shrine, not that underground place (seems too difficult ATM, ghosts etc) but above ground. Any decent loot there?

I'm it rents using regular axe and hollow armour.. I feel kinda under equipped..
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Uhmm, firelink shrine is connected to pretty much everything in some way so i'm not sure what you mean. Have you seen the graveyard yet? Maybe that's what you mean.

axe? Didn't you say you use the uchigatana? silly Armor is not something you need to feel undergeared about a lot, if you play the game well you won't need to get hit a lot. If you want more damage though you could upgrade your current weapon with titanite (gotta find a blacksmith first, he's pretty close).
    OR you can get a special powerful weapon from the burg called the drake sword! it's kind of a struggle to get, and it won't be useful anymore past early game, but it makes the early game very easy. It may take away some of the fun because it makes the burg so easy, so you decide if you wanna hear how to get it or not silly

Last edited by lalliman on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 pm

You can cheese the boar by running up to that catwalk with the two archers and using the alluring skull item. Just stand on the catwalk and throw one skull into the fire on your right. The boar will chase after it causing fire damage. Repeat until he's dead.

To get a fast roll you need to be under 25% equip load, if you press.. triangle for ps3 while in the weapons menu it will change the display to the right, and you can see how much you have. You should be able to fast roll now by removing or swaping out heavier gear for lighter stuff, you'll lose defense and poise but it sounds like you want to practice avoiding damage anyway not soaking it in!

You shouldn't worry too much about missing items this early on. If you've already settled on a weapon (Katanas) and a play style then you just need to worry about getting good rings I would reccomend the wolf ring, since you will likely need it to fast roll and avoid staggering... you can get that in the woods just past the parish.

Welcome to Dark Souls and the forums happy
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Use the Alluring Skulls you find on the bridge overlooking the Boar and throw them into the bonfires scattered around the place. (From a safe distance.) The Boar will walk into the fires and take damage, keep doing this till he drops dead.
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Alluring+Skull
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:06 pm

^ little note, looking at wiki articles won't hurt, but don't float away looking at them! The less you know about the game, the more fun your first playthrough will be! I spoiled way too much for myself the first time, don't make the same mistake silly
    CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CephGabriel Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:24 pm

I am trying to do that don't worry. Ah so that's how alluring skulls work! The dilemma I have is that I don't want to run out of repair powder for my katana, and the axe is a ether weapon anyway? Is there a way to impove the katana?
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:29 pm

It can be upgraded using titanite once you find a blacksmith, but so can the axe. The point is that it's not all about base damage. Weapons also differ in reach and swing speed (i dunno the axe well so i'm not sure if it differs from the katana in that way), and more importantly in scaling.
    If you have relatively high DEX, the katana will do lots of damage as it has high DEX scaling. Also the katana causes bleed, you know how bleed works?
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Also, you can buy an item that allows you to repair equipment at the bonfires, look for that when you find the smith is should be about 2000 souls.
    CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CephGabriel Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Oh I see!!! If I increase dexterity I increase Katana damage! That's really cool! So I've just got to find this blacksmith then.. Good I've got quite a lot of titanite too, and some glitzy titanite from a fish I found in a barrel silly

Thinking I can't spoil anything by looking through a map of fire link shrine, it turns out I've missed a hole area! I'll work my way back and clear it out for novelty and soul farming. The area below fire link shrine, am I meant to tackle that now or later?

(Incidentally how do I link my character to my avatar?)

Edit: bleed works like poison? Damn I hate rats T_T I just I've up and walk back to the bonfire and restart the whole thing.

When can I expect (obviously dont be specific) to get some new kind of armour? I'm sick and tired of wearing hollow armour T_T I might put the stuff I start with back on, if it gets me under 25%
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 pm

I like to backstab . . . er butstab the boar. Go down the ramp. He can only get so far down and you'll be safe. When he turns to walk away, sneak up behind him and stick your favorite weapon into his bunghole.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 am

I believe you can explore and work the areas in any order you want. Londo ruins , where the ghosts live is harder than some of the other areas and probably intended to be tackled mid game but doesn't mean it can't be beat. Your first 2 "missions" after locating a blacksmith and getting the repair box, send you to specific areas but exploration is always fun as it's the only way your gonna get the titanate to upgrade weapons&armor, better armour and souls. Kill em all. Lol

Btw, I killed that vendor with one of my chars, little tough start but that char went on to kill the blacksmith in anor Londo too ( which I suggest you do not do) . Both mine were from being stupid and that damn r2 button, once agro'd, they threatened me so I kilt 'em. Game is harder when you kill merchants and blacksmiths.

CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CephGabriel Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:57 am

Ah that settled my conscience a little then. So I'll just backtrack a little, them continue into the parish. Can I cross the main bridge with the dragon on or does that aggro it? I've taken a side route? Last question though I don't want to ruin anymore.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:00 am

The dragon will aggro when you walk onto the bridge, but if you hide where his fire can't get you he will come down onto the bridge to investigate. You can use that time to run behind him into the area he guards.

So yes it is possible to cross the bridge, hide again once you get to the other side sometimes he does an attack into that area. Eventually he will fly away. You can avoid those nasty rats this way.

CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CephGabriel Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:15 am

Ah good, as I could see some loot and a no fire behind the dragon /9 I'll take te manly way across the bridge then Look Skyward
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:54 am

Lemme warn you up front, when you light that bonfire, the dragon will fly away. BUT he can come back later, so don't consider the bridge safe ground once he's gone, or you'll end up roasted!
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Yeah, that dragon makes the DeS look like a little puppy. When I first saw it, I assumed it was the same thing and rushed in. Needless to say, I was roasted like a little weenie.
    CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CephGabriel Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Ok so just walk forward slowly with a big shield, seems like my usual tactic when I'm failing with the katana big grin
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Your shield won't save you, being quick is a better way to do it. Just ignore the loot and run for the bonfire below him, once you light it he'll fly away and you can go pick it up.
    The best way to do it is make him breath fire at you and stand to the side to hide from it, then wait. After a while he'll jump off the building onto the bridge. Once he does that... RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN
    CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CephGabriel Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Hehe sounds like a solid plan, peg it!
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:02 pm

I go the bridge way everytime now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm